Mixed info, newbie needs advice

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About 12 years ago, I got my first scorpion and then traded it away within a day or two for some tarantulas. I've finally decided to try again and ordered 2 baby H. spinifer. Can I keep them solely on peat moss or do I need to mix in sand and/or other forms of substrate? Does it change as they mature? I'm used to using peat moss for my tarantulas. Also, is a heat source necessary? I think my house normally runs 70-75.

Thanks.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Peat moss is fine and some dried oak leafs and bark will make them feel more at home. I think the need it a little warmer than room temp maybe 77-80? Wait for a second opinion on that... Keep it pretty humid though.

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Peat moss/cocofiber and sand mixed at a 70-30 ratio then dampened and patted down firmly works well for burrowing...without the sand it'll dry quicker and take longer to re-hydrate....The need for a deep, slightly damp and warmish substrate doesn't change as they grow and develop.
The heat source isn't strictly necessary but that's the same as saying you can survive in the Arctic...It's doable but not especially pleasant. Giving them the warmth they expect from their country of origin is the least a keeper can do...

Incidently...warmth and humidity are related...To cold and the air can't hold the moisture...

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Any particular type of sand? What is the safest way to warm scorplings? An adults enclosure would be large enough to set up a gradient. I'm not sure how to do that for a small deli cup.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Could I let the babies share a 5.5-10 gallon enclosure that I could heat?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Peat moss is fine and some dried oak leafs and bark will make them feel more at home.
I'm used to raising tarantulas and have always thought it unsafe to use tree litter without sterilizing it first. Is this not the same for scorpions? Does it have to be oak? I have walnut and maple leaves a plenty in my yard.

xkris

Arachnosquire
walnut and maple are fine, avoid pine needles or any other aromatic trees. i bake mine first. i know pine is bad, so is cedar or eucalyptus.
congratz on baby spinifer. heterometrus are awesome. spinifer can share a enclosure, provided that you give them enough hides and food.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only use peat or cocoa fiber for the majority of mine. I like to mix them with a little top soil for the deep burrowers. If you do this, just make sure it's pesticide free obviously.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's tube sand ok? This is the stuff people put in the back of their rear wheel vehicles to weigh it down for extra traction on the snow.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I have them set up in a 4.5" x 6" x 2.5" gladware container. I have it filled with past moss and then a little bit of the Spanish type looking moss that they were packed in. The sand had a warning label about crystal particulates, so I'm going to stay away from that for now. One is quite a bit larger than the other. I'm not sure if that is a molt difference our possibly because of sexual dimorphism?

20141027_221728.jpg

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I have them set up in a 4.5" x 6" x 2.5" gladware container. I have it filled with past moss and then a little bit of the Spanish type looking moss that they were packed in. The sand had a warning label about crystal particulates, so I'm going to stay away from that for now. One is quite a bit larger than the other. I'm not sure if that is a molt difference our possibly because of sexual dimorphism?

View attachment 131346
Would these get lost in a 5.5 gal? I want the locking lid and glass sides I can put a hearing pad on.

---------- Post added 10-28-2014 at 08:07 PM ----------

I got the 5.5 gal but opted for a 50 watt infrared bulb and hoping kitty doesn't bother it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What comes to mind when tanks are on the verge of being "too large" is whether or not prey items will wander close enough to their burrow to be snagged.

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I have a tank just like that with the slide out screen. The screen is not good for having a cat. My cat jumped on top of the enclosure while I wasn't home. The screen failed to hold the weight of the cat which resulted in the screen coming loose and falling into the tank. Luckily my tarantula was still in the enclosure unharmed. I took the top to a glass place in town and had a heavier screen put in place of the old one for $3. I highly recommend expanded metal tops. They also have side clips/clamps available if needed. Both can be found at a local pet store.

You can not go out and just buy a new top for the tank you have unless your prepared to do some work on it. The outer edge of the top is sealed to the tank.

Last edited:

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks. I was getting ready to put them into separate 4.5" x 6" x 2.5" gladware containers and then putting those back in the 5.5 gal opposite to the heat lamp. Sites that seem pretty reasonable?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Ditch the heat lamp. It will dry the substrate too much.

As long as you can keep the temp in there above 75, it'll be just fine.

there's no such thing as 'too big' when it comes to these scorpions.

The more substrate, the happier they are. This genus is water loving, so give em something they can submerge in, they enjoy bathing.

The trichobothriae of scorpions allows them to detect prey from a considerable distance, the pectines also enable them to follow scent trails.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks. I was getting ready to put them into separate 4.5" x 6" x 2.5" gladware containers and then putting those back in the 5.5 gal opposite to the heat lamp. Sites that seem pretty reasonable?
That sounds very reasonable!

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. - If your house is above 75, like Smokehound said, they should be fine at room temp!

Spinster

Arachnosquire
I have a tank just like that with the slide out screen. The screen is not good for having a cat. My cat jumped on top of the enclosure while I wasn't home. The screen failed to hold the weight of the cat which resulted in the screen coming loose and falling into the tank. Luckily my tarantula was still in the enclosure unharmed. I took the top to a glass place in town and had a heavier screen put in place of the old one for $3. I highly recommend expanded metal tops. They also have side clips/clamps available if needed. Both can be found at a local pet store.

You can not go out and just buy a new top for the tank you have unless your prepared to do some work on it. The outer edge of the top is sealed to the tank.
I had the exact same issue with cats and one of my T's in an Exo Terra 8x8x8. They tore the screen out but also fished the T out and killed it.

That tank wasn't cheap and I didn't want to throw it out. I bought heavier mesh screening and installed it in the same manner as a window screen. The Exo Terra tank lid is built exactly like a window screen and has an inner rim of plastic that you remove, then pull out the screen. I didn't think it was fixable either until I started playing around with it and did some online research on replacing window screens. With a $5 tool it's not that hard. I've learned my lesson though, all inverts are now in my bedroom with NO cats allowed!

Re cage size, I agree that it's important for the occupant to find its prey. I would think another factor to decide cage size would be the scorpion's natural behaviour, depending on the species.