Dead red cricket

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A couple days ago I put a cricket in with my Blue Fang, today I noticed it had not ate it so on removing the cricket I noticed
75% of the cricket had a red color to it, never seen this before, any ideas what the red color was ?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've had it happen before in humid enclosures. I'm guessing bacteria that set in when it starts to decompose.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At first I thought this thread might be referencing a planned sequel to Red Dead Redemption, but then my hopes sank...

katluc

Arachnopeon
I bought a batch of crickets a couple of months ago and there were a couple of "red/dark pink" ones. I didn't like them and didn't use them as fodder because I thought maybe they were sick. They seemed well enough but it just felt wrong to risk it.

cold blood

Staff member
I bought a batch of crickets a couple of months ago and there were a couple of "red/dark pink" ones. I didn't like them and didn't use them as fodder because I thought maybe they were sick. They seemed well enough but it just felt wrong to risk it.
They were probably just freshly molted;)

Hint: if they were actually sick, they came from the same place as the others you did feed.

katluc

Arachnopeon
Good point cold blood. I didn't realise they take on a red colour when they've just molted. Next time I suspect a sick cricket, I'll reject the lot.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
Weren't some kind if crickets called crazy reds being sold at some point? Was it only red after it died?

2bears

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, it was red only after it died, Have feed over 40 Ts from the same group of crickets with no problems, Think at this point I agree with Hobo.
Thanks for sharing your ideas

spooky7

Arachnopeon
A couple days ago I put a cricket in with my Blue Fang, today I noticed it had not ate it so on removing the cricket I noticed
75% of the cricket had a red color to it, never seen this before, any ideas what the red color was ?
Hey sorry to revive this old thread, but I just had the exact same experience today. I fed my chameleon and several of my Ts some crickets, and afterwards moved the egg crate to reveal dozens of dead crickets which seemed alarming.

I found a bright neon pink dead cricket that when I grabbed it leaked pink liquid everywhere.

I'm guessing this is a bacterial infection and I will be disposing of all the crickets as a precaution, but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about pink neon crickets.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hey sorry to revive this old thread, but I just had the exact same experience today. I fed my chameleon and several of my Ts some crickets, and afterwards moved the egg crate to reveal dozens of dead crickets which seemed alarming.

I found a bright neon pink dead cricket that when I grabbed it leaked pink liquid everywhere.

I'm guessing this is a bacterial infection and I will be disposing of all the crickets as a precaution, but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about pink neon crickets.
What is their diet?

spooky7

Arachnopeon
This batch was being gut loaded on orange slices, carrots, and collard greens