A lesson to be learn by all of us!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was contacted by a friend of mine out of state about me breeding his pair of geniculata. I told my friend that I was more than happy to breed them. So my friend had a third party person that is a mutual friend of ours ship the spiders out on Monday of this week. Before the spiders where sent to me I was told by the third party that the mature male was about to kick the bucket cause he was to old or not maintain in the proper condition. So I was aware that the male might not make it in transit.

Yesterday when I received the pair of geniculata the mature male looked good on the outside, but he was definitely dying. Legs were curling he was walking sluggish. As soon as I got home from work I put the mature male with my friends female for breeding just in case if he was up to the task. Both male and female wanted to breed, even though the male was dying he was trying real hard to breed. After a while I saw that the breeding was not going to happen, the male was not able to breed with the female and surprisingly the female did not once wanted to kill the male. I decided to take the male out of the females enclosure. Quite honestly it was depressing to see this mature male trying to breed in his condition.

Once I took the mature male out of the females enclosure I decided to keep him alive over night, gave him water and food. This morning I saw a whole different spider, he was eating and walking normal like if he had nothing wrong with him. I was amazed that he recuperated so quickly. I was told that he is 8 months old, but to me he still looks good for being 8 months old. I'm glad I did not give up on him. This mature male has never been bred with any female, check out what he did today.

Acanthoscurria geniculata breeding attempt

]Acanthoscurria geniculata breeding attempt

Acanthoscurria geniculata successful breeding

I also want to mention that my friend has photos when the mature male was trying to breed yesterday so you guys will be able to see those photos when my friend posts them.
This mature male is small compare to the female. And of course after the insertions took place she wanted to kill the male but I prevented from that happening.
The mature male was not dying from old age it was from poor living condition. This is why it is important for all of us to keep a certain amount of spiders that we can properly maintain. I can't no longer properly maintain the amount spiders that I use too, and believe me in the past years I'm to blame for some of my spiders dying for the improperly living conditions that I kept them..............

Jose

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Way to give him the TLC he needed. I can't believe he was still trying to mate in that poor condition....or that he wasn't killed right then!

Way to go Jose, I hope you get a nice sac! (of spider eggs:wink:)

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
I was there with Jose when this male was attempting to breed with my big female. You can see from the photos that she dwarfs him pretty easily. The male was very malnourished and couldn't even walk straight. He hobbled around with shaky legs, and you would think he was drunk just by watching him. Despite this, he never lost his spirit. He sat there right next to the female for probably 20 minutes or more just tapping and attempting to get under her. You could tell that he really wanted to breed, but he didn't even have the strength to try and pick her up. Even with Jose's photos, you can see how much she is just crushing him with her weight.

When he first went to breed, he was trying to figure out how to make it work, but eventually he just got tired and curled up in the corner next to her. At first glance, it almost looked kind of like a death curl because he was just so exhausted. Even while he was in the corner, he was still constantly tapping for her but he just didn't have the strength to do anything.

Here are a few photos from when he was not up to the task:

IMAG1092.jpg IMAG1101.jpg IMAG1097.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Epic did you give him any water before breeding attempt? He looks like he died at the end:cry:.
I have never seen a male do this before.

Males seem scared to death every time while bred, your male is a champ ! doing it so dehydrated.

cold blood

Staff member
the 2nd set of pics was from the first attempt. At last mention he was alive and well.

Yentlequible

Arachnoknight
Yes, the photos I posted were taken last night after he was received. The ones that Jose posted were from tonight after the male was hydrated.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Way to give him the TLC he needed. I can't believe he was still trying to mate in that poor condition....or that he wasn't killed right then!

Way to go Jose, I hope you get a nice sac! (of spider eggs:wink:)
HAHA.. thanks for clearing that up!!

Congrats to you Jose for winding up with getting a beautiful little male out of the deal with just a little TLC. As well as both you and Yentlequible for the (hopefully) impending EGG sac. ;)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I was contacted by a friend of mine out of state about me breeding his pair of geniculata. I told my friend that I was more than happy to breed them. So my friend had a third party person that is a mutual friend of ours ship the spiders out on Monday of this week. Before the spiders where sent to me I was told by the third party that the mature male was about to kick the bucket cause he was to old or not maintain in the proper condition. So I was aware that the male might not make it in transit.

Yesterday when I received the pair of geniculata the mature male looked good on the outside, but he was definitely dying. Legs were curling he was walking sluggish. As soon as I got home from work I put the mature male with my friends female for breeding just in case if he was up to the task. Both male and female wanted to breed, even though the male was dying he was trying real hard to breed. After a while I saw that the breeding was not going to happen, the male was not able to breed with the female and surprisingly the female did not once wanted to kill the male. I decided to take the male out of the females enclosure. Quite honestly it was depressing to see this mature male trying to breed in his condition.

Once I took the mature male out of the females enclosure I decided to keep him alive over night, gave him water and food. This morning I saw a whole different spider, he was eating and walking normal like if he had nothing wrong with him. I was amazed that he recuperated so quickly. I was told that he is 8 months old, but to me he still looks good for being 8 months old. I'm glad I did not give up on him. This mature male has never been bred with any female, check out what he did today.

]Acanthoscurria geniculata breeding attempt

Acanthoscurria geniculata successful breeding

I also want to mention that my friend has photos when the mature male was trying to breed yesterday so you guys will be able to see those photos when my friend posts them.
This mature male is small compare to the female. And of course after the insertions took place she wanted to kill the male but I prevented from that happening.
The mature male was not dying from old age it was from poor living condition. This is why it is important for all of us to keep a certain amount of spiders that we can properly maintain. I can't no longer properly maintain the amount spiders that I use too, and believe me in the past years I'm to blame for some of my spiders dying for the improperly living conditions that I kept them..............

Jose
that little guy has some heart! sad but inspiring story as well! lol. hope he lives to breed another day!:)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I decided to keep him alive over night, gave him water and food. This morning I saw a whole different spider, he was eating and walking normal like if he had nothing wrong with him. I was amazed that he recuperated so quickly.

For recuperation, did you put the male in a normal cage with water and food, or an ICU?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For recuperation, did you put the male in a normal cage with water and food, or an ICU?
I put the male in a normal cage not to big, but big enough for a large water dish and for the male to walk around. I almost decided to let the female have the male for dinner that night cause I really thought he was not going to make it.
I even told Travis (Yentlequible) this male is not going to make it. With a little effort on my part and having some hope the male recuperated. I would be surprise if the male made another sperm web after this breeding though.

I figure you guys would like this story. This is the story of a male choosing life! Fight! Fight! Fight!

As for my friend the owner of this spider, I remember telling him in the past don't go overboard on getting to many spiders, you are going to neglect some of them if you do.

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. geniculata building her egg sac

Hello! After 6 months from the mating taking place the A. geniculata is finally started to build her egg sac. She started early morning and still going. I just want to share some photos on how I decided two days ago on keeping her environment for her to drop a sac since I noticed that it was time. The container is 5.5" inches tall by 7" inches in width. Hope to see babies, hope she will be a good mom and hope that is fertile. All the best for mom to be.

Acanthoscurria geniculata - Gravid Female - 2015

Acanthoscurria geniculata - Buiding her egg sac - 2015

Jose

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Careful, Poec. That sounds frighteningly close like something I would have said. :D

You better go hit the shower!

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. geniculata laying her eggs!

The next phase: Ten minutes ago she laid her eggs on the silk of webs. She is taking her time she should be done by morning wrapping the egg sac.

Acanthoscurria geniculata - Laying the eggs - 2015

Jose