Unusual digging, webbing-G. porteri-your thoughts

Zigana

Arachnosquire
I purchased this MF G. porteri six weeks ago. From the get go she has been digging a lot. Thought nothing of it until last week she dug a deep crater bowl shaped. She abandoned it, no webbing, then started digging at the corner of the tank for days. I checked on her this evening to find a surprise. Picture below. I have never had my G. porteri's nor my G. rosea do this. It has a hole for entering/exiting that may be hard to see, the rest is webbed. This girl has had a very large abdomen since I got her which had me wondering if she would lay an egg sac. I'm not sure if she is thinking about it or dug her a hole to possibly molt in, or has made a burrow similar to what she might have had in the wild. I have never had this genus/species do this before with or without a hide. Your thoughts?

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
The question is what will you do with the slings?
This is a question EVERYONE buying a 2"+ T from a store should think about.. this is like 4th in 6 months on AB.. on my herp forums it happens all to much as well 1-3 times a month as herpers branch out or confront their phobias its almost like pet stores should have a "may be pregnant" logo on grammies (as much rarer in avics adoptions posted)

Zigana

Arachnosquire
This is a question EVERYONE buying a 2"+ T from a store should think about.. this is like 4th in 6 months on AB.. on my herp forums it happens all to much as well 1-3 times a month as herpers branch out or confront their phobias its almost like pet stores should have a "may be pregnant" logo on grammies (as much rarer in avics adoptions posted)
I purchased this girl because I thought she may lay an egg sac from the way she looked. It think it would be better that she is with me then a beginner with their first tarantula and not knowing how to take care of momma plus all the slings later. I agree with you for this reason. I don't know how buying gravid females in pet stores by newbies could be prevented since most owners/employees would not have a clue if one was or not.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I purchased this girl because I thought she may lay an egg sac from the way she looked. It think it would be better that she is with me then a beginner with their first tarantula and not knowing how to take care of momma plus all the slings later. I agree with you for this reason. I don't know how buying gravid females in pet stores by newbies could be prevented since most owners/employees would not have a clue if one was or not.
Yes very good point. but with the label saying may be pregnant, makes the mom saying "fine i guess one wont kill me.. you can have ONE.." think again.. less likely for say a 12yr old who has his/her first T to get a sack.. iv heard stories if flushed sacks and etc from stores xc but ofcourse we cant prevent it xc

Last edited:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
MY lps STOPPed carrying rosies/ emperor's. Prob good.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Thats a lot of T's to keep for 6 months. If I were you I would try to sell them to one of the people on here who post ads asking for large quantities of T's.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thats a lot of T's to keep for 6 months. If I were you I would try to sell them to one of the people on here who post ads asking for large quantities of T's.
Agrees this is what im going to do.i plan om breeding my female roseas, Keep like 3 for myself if that and give most to someone who said theyd prob take most them off my hands for cheap as im doin it for experience xD and 2 clutches is a bit too many to feed for me even for 2months let alone 6 lol

Zigana

Arachnosquire
With colder temps and winter not too far off I may have to keep them for at least 4-5 months since they can't be shipped when cold.

I've had up to 373 slings, released some (these are native tarantulas) and kept 130 slings to release next June. My daughter and I have come up with a system that makes feeding and watering slings go pretty fast. Costs have been cut by feeding fruit flies as beginning feeders which I keep them going by adding more culture so I don't have to buy more. Adult crickets lay eggs, incubate and free pinheads to feed the slings. It's working for now.

The G. porteri female webbed ALOT more overnight and all day today. She hasn't rolled the eggs up yet, she's still webbing them up thick. Feel for her, it appears to be quite a bit of work spinning the web, laying the eggs, lay more web that seems to go on and on, then finally roll it all up. I would be upset too if someone wanted to take the eggsac away..lol.

Last edited:

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Honestly I see breeding roseas/ porteris as more of a bit of a burden since they are extremely slow growing, fairly inexpensive,fairly common, and are really nothing special appearance wise in my opinion. I feel like it is a lot time and effort for very little reward. Having said this I think it is a good idea for the T community to start producing some sacks to hopefully reduce the amount of WC T's of this sp. that are currently in the market.

persistent

Arachnopeon
Honestly I see breeding roseas/ porteris as more of a bit of a burden since they are extremely slow growing, fairly inexpensive,fairly common, and are really nothing special appearance wise in my opinion. I feel like it is a lot time and effort for very little reward. Having said this I think it is a good idea for the T community to start producing some sacks to hopefully reduce the amount of WC T's of this sp. that are currently in the market.
How can you claim rosea/porteri don't look like anything special? they're totally underrated imo

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
How can you claim rosea/porteri don't look like anything special? they're totally underrated imo
Agree. There are some species i think are pretty boring like aphonopelmas and lasi's butbi suppose everyone has their own oppinion