Could you keep a tarantula on concrete?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Could you theoretically keep a tarantula on concrete for it's whole life if you met it's food,water and humidity requirements? Discuss.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I don't think many would thrive on it, and it could prove problematic with regards to falls.
Certain species (strict arboreals, opportunistic tarantulas that adapt to whatever in the wild, and some heavy webbers), if furnished properly otherwise, would probably be fine.

One would have to wonder why someone would choose concrete over lighter, cheaper, and more aesthetic dirt.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Could you theoretically keep a tarantula on concrete for it's whole life if you met it's food,water and humidity requirements? Discuss.
Most slings borrow., concrete is a death sentence to those species. Case closed.
Are u suggesting keeping a captive T on concrete?? it is futile, even if it survives a fall could kill a T.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A spider that is a heavy webber probably wouldn't care. It would just make a new, more comfortable floor.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm confused as to why anyone would WANT to keep an animal like this on concrete? Maybe you would be comfortable sleeping, eating and otherwise living on concrete...? Can it be done? Sure, should it be done? no. I think not. :/

poor spider..

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I'm confused as to why anyone would WANT to keep an animal like this on concrete? Maybe you would be comfortable sleeping, eating and otherwise living on concrete...? Can it be done? Sure, should it be done? no. I think not. :/

poor spider..
No one is keeping anything on concrete, it's a simple question.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
If you gave it a couple hides, pending on the species, you definitely could. It could be an interesting setup, like the ones where people use crushed soda cans or sheet metal.

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 08:40 AM ----------

poor spider..
Why? Spiders have adapted to living in cities. These aren't little foo foo animals that need constant TLC. They are incredibly resilient and resourceful.

---------- Post added 10-24-2014 at 08:44 AM ----------

Most slings borrow., concrete is a death sentence to those species. Case closed.
...what? Sling burrow for protection from predators and to help maintain humidity. Do you think someone would be letting a predator in to the enclosure while providing zero water?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sure, some might do alright. Many species wouldn't do well at all. Keeping a captive tarantula on concrete seems about as arbitrary as using legos or cookie dough for substrate. You can't blame folks for wondering why you're curious about this.

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Can it be done? Sure, should it be done? no. I think not.
This would be my thinking. With the right setups (i.e. hides, water bowl, etc.) it would probably be possible. Even spiders that prefer or need burrows would probably figure out how to survive (perhaps webbing up the entire enclosure to make it one giant burrow?) though certain species would probably be stressed most of the time and wouldn't thrive. I imagine desert dwellers like G. rosea wouldn't care too much if provided decent hides as they tend to come from rocky areas and not sandy ones. I just don't know why anyone would want to use concrete when there are better choices.

Of course species that need very high humidity (i.e. Theraphosa spp.) would probably be extremely difficult to successfully keep for any length of time.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
*shrug* I guess some people just don't appreciate how aesthetically pleasing an enclosure can be using an unexpected medium. Makes sense - the reactions to the enclosures using the soda cans and metal either were "Looks amazing!" or "ZOMG that spider's gonna die!!! 1!!".

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
*shrug* I guess some people just don't appreciate how aesthetically pleasing an enclosure can be using an unexpected medium. Makes sense - the reactions to the enclosures using the soda cans and metal either were "Looks amazing!" or "ZOMG that spider's gonna die!!! 1!!".
No, it's not that. I saw an amazing, almost Mad Max-esq enclosure that incorporated dry dirt and bits of junk for a desert species somewhere on these boards. It looked absolutely incredible. But concrete? That seems pretty spartan, if not downright bad for some species.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Plain old concrete alone would be boring, but as a basis to build around? You could make something awesome out of it. Start with a chunk of cinder block and go from there. Could be awesome.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could see it, but what you planned to keep on it would be an important factor. I still maintain that cookie dough would make a terrible substrate. No exceptions to that one.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Why not keep them on substrate, with cork/wood, and plants (artificial or live)? Hard to beat that for looks and functionality.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I could see it, but what you planned to keep on it would be an important factor. I still maintain that cookie dough would make a terrible substrate. No exceptions to that one.
Ok, where did that come from? I gotta know.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
It depends. Would the cookie dough be raw, dried out, or cooked?
Aside from rot, fumes and making sure you don't attract unwanted pests like ants, it would probably be similar to concrete. Much lighter and tastier though.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Hah, there is no conspiracy and no one is plotting against substrate, it's a simple question, I'm known for liking natural setups over anything, I go and collect my own wood etc.

cold blood

Staff member
Hah, there is no conspiracy and no one is plotting against substrate
Ahhhh, the "magic substrate" conspiracy. To fill the enclosure it would have had to take a left to avoid the hide, then go right, around the plants...all while avoiding the water dish....hmmmmm, seems impossible, we need to set up a special "commission" to get to the bottom of this! At least no one got shot....this time. :bruised: