S.alternans and S.galapagoensis

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Gorgeous pedes!!!! I'm dying to get an S.alternans and this isn't helping! she looks really big as well!

rbourette

Arachnopeon
Does your alternans stay surfaced a lot? I have an 8inch specimen and it stays burrowed 99% of the time.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Those are gorgeous... hopefully, he's just got them in those enclosures for picture taking, they would be awful for long-term captivity. Pedes that size need several inches of substrate for burrowing and hides/bark to hide under... and yes, if you're keeping most pedes properly they will be burrowed most of the time. It's kind of like how some people keep Haplopelma lividum on thin substrate so they can "see it more" ... you may be seeing it more, but you're not *really* seeing the animal behave as it would in the wild.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Those are gorgeous... hopefully, he's just got them in those enclosures for picture taking, they would be awful for long-term captivity. Pedes that size need several inches of substrate for burrowing and hides/bark to hide under...
Your opinion on the enclosures is an anthropomorphism where you assume you understand the emotional desires of a centipede. There is no data to support the requirement of substrate depth you state as though it were a fact. Anyone can scroll through posted images on AB to discover some of the most successful breeders use very little substrate for rearing immature centipedes and keeping adults. Each housing method has its pros and cons but to state flatly that one is superior without acknowledging the contrary success of others is a little over the top. I'm guessing you realize a few inches of substrate depth is not going to allow a person to see a captive animal in a small glass cube behave the same as it would in the wild and that was just a slip of the keyboard.