Poecilotheria regalis problem

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Hello!

Recently my P. regalis molted and is right around 2 1/2''. After the molt I changed his enclosure seeing as the old one had gotten a bit small. I put in a piece of bark and a live plant. I cleaned the plant carefully with water and boiled the cork bark (altho it had already been boiled + baked once) and put it in his enclosure. The substrate was coco fiber. I fed him 1 cricket from a batch I bought last saturday and he ate it. Since yesterday he started climbing on the enclosure's walls and stayed there. I'm noticing he's releasing venom from his fangs (or maybe it's water which I think is venom? But I'd say it's venom since a drop always appears right below his fangs). What might be causing this? Could he be dying?

By the way I noticed today the bark had caught a bit of mold so I remove it. Could that be the cause? Any ideas how to make the bark NOT catch mold?

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
Did you look up the kind of bark and plant you have to be sure they're non-toxic to tarantula's?
If the enclosure is properly ventilated, you shouldn't get mold unless the sub is too wet.
I keep my poeci's a bit dryer than some recommend and just keep clean fresh water available at all times and they are all eating, molting and thriving.
I prefer cork over bark in my enclosures as it doesn't get moldy.

Just my 2 pennies.
Good luck,
Kevin

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm using the same kind of bark on my other enclosures and I don't have any problems. Same with the plant. I'll clean the cork bark and let the sub dry a bit so I can put it back. I think the enclosure is well ventilated.

Thanks for your input, Kevin. I appreciate it! :)

cold blood

Staff member
It takes time for a t to get used to a new enclosure, it can take days or several weeks depending on both the individual t as well as the set up its self. Until this happens, you will see it climbing a lot....as soon as it begins to make a web tube hide, it will begin to acclimate.

If you are getting mold, the best prevention is ventilation, add more venting. A little mold is a cosmetic thing and shouldn't effect your t.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
It takes time for a t to get used to a new enclosure, it can take days or several weeks depending on both the individual t as well as the set up its self. Until this happens, you will see it climbing a lot....as soon as it begins to make a web tube hide, it will begin to acclimate.

If you are getting mold, the best prevention is ventilation, add more venting. A little mold is a cosmetic thing and shouldn't effect your t.
I agree cold blood.
I don't panic over a little mold, and who knows how much it really affects the T. I say this because I've seen some really moldy enclosures where the tarantula seemed unaffected. Then again, I avoid it anyway since I've also heard of a few cases where it killed the T. (second hand info of course)
What got my attention was the wet fang thing...Whether it's venom or water IDK, but I've never seen that happen for no reason.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I have noticed both my B. albopilosum and B. boehmei with water droplets from their mouths. I suspect it is water because in both instances no food was in the enclosure and there was no reason for the T to have released any venom. (I always sneak into my T room to see what they up to-maybe its like Toy Story when I leave?!)

Quazgar

Arachnoknight
Just to point out the obvious, but since Poecis are arboreal, hanging out on the side of the cage is not terribly surprising. It may just prefer that over the cork bark, or as cold blood said it may just take some time for it to decide where it wants to be. I have heard stories of tarantulas "drooling" before. I don't remember what the consensus of the cause was, but I don't think it's generally anything to be concerned over.

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
I have noticed both my B. albopilosum and B. boehmei with water droplets from their mouths. I suspect it is water because in both instances no food was in the enclosure and there was no reason for the T to have released any venom. (I always sneak into my T room to see what they up to-maybe its like Toy Story when I leave?!)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Just to point out the obvious, but since Poecis are arboreal, hanging out on the side of the cage is not terribly surprising. It may just prefer that over the cork bark, or as cold blood said it may just take some time for it to decide where it wants to be. I have heard stories of tarantulas "drooling" before. I don't remember what the consensus of the cause was, but I don't think it's generally anything to be concerned over.
I've seen my phormic do this, right after I took its picture I saw liquid come out of its mouth, granted it could have just been expecting food or showing its displeasure about the camera flash. I've had lichen grow on my cork bark before, I just left it and the spider never had any issues. But to avoid any possible mold make sure everything is very dry, good cross ventilation and don't get crazy with watering.

Draven

Arachnopeon
A few nights ago I also had a T releasing water from its "mouth" so I posted it on our local forum. I was told that I don't need to worry as T's may do that from time to time to release excess water. How true this is I can't say but my T is fine

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Thanks for all the help, guys. I wasn't concerned about the position of my Pokie. I was concerned about the water/venom coming from his mouth. I thought it may be some reaction to the mold or something.