Best feeding responses

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Every tarantula has a somewhat different reaction when it comes to meal time, so, read the title of
the thread and go from there.

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll tell you one thing...everybody raves about the speed of old world T's, but I fed my 1" A seemanni last night and, as I've seen before, it pulled a quantum leap (just as quick as any pokie or OBT etc). I swear it grabbed the roach before it even hit the ground;)

cold blood

Staff member
My T. cyaneolum has caught every meal before it hit the ground in the last 6 months I have had it....and it wouldn't make the top 10 in this list.

A. geniculata is notorious with their feeding response, as is the GBB. All Lasiorora sp are basically garbage disposals and my 1+" LD is no exception. Theraposa are also huge eaters with top notch feeding responses. G. pulchripes is another, mine's always ready to eat and tackles everything like a linebacker on Sunday. Oddly, my B. smithi is the same way, but that's not really the norm for that species, I just got an aggressive eater.:)

But I will give 2 that I have found to be above and beyond when it comes to feeding response...P. cambridgei....ridiculously fast and eager to tackle EVERYTHING they can. Crickets are slammed so quickly I don't even think they know what's going on, even after the fact.

But #1 on my list is Pamphobeteus, I'll beat this genus' drum till my hands fall off!!! Crazy eager eaters, running from great distances, jumping on prey and engulfing everything they can, simply unbelievable....pre-molt often means nothing as they will continue to attack like they just molted...I think if I offered food while mine was molting it would stop and try to eat!

Great example....After my P. nigricolor's last molt (2 subsequent feedings), I went 4 days between feedings, which is an eternity for this hungry, fast growing spider. It was about 1 or 2 am and I decided to feed. I grabbed a big cricket with the big tweezers, opened the top and began to lower the prey in. At this point the t was on the far side, facing into the side, I thought I was catching it off guard a bit. Well I lowered in the cricket and a when I was still a good foot above the enclosure opening the cricket began to flail wildly...in the blink of an eye that nigricolor ran up the side, jumped that foot onto the tweezers, grabbed the cricket and was back in the enclosure munching away! BEST HIT EVER!!!!

We need lots more of this genus more readily available in the hobby...everyone should have one, there's no reason they aren't more popular other than availability (which equates to price). Buy one or 5, doesn't matter the species, you WILL be absolutely THRILLED with it if you love big time feeding response.

Large potential size and fast growth are a recipe for a great eater.;)

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This was a shock to me but apparently my MM G. porteri is a very hungry guy! He is very mean when it comes to food, I have fed him 3 times already in 2 days, it isn't a lot of food though but he is hungry!

Amimia

Arachnosquire
My C. fasciatum has a system where he teleports to his food, works every time:sarcasm:

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My T. cyaneolum has caught every meal before it hit the ground in the last 6 months I have had it....and it wouldn't make the top 10 in this list.

A. geniculata is notorious with their feeding response, as is the GBB. All Lasiorora sp are basically garbage disposals and my 1+" LD is no exception. Theraposa are also huge eaters with top notch feeding responses. G. pulchripes is another, mine's always ready to eat and tackles everything like a linebacker on Sunday. Oddly, my B. smithi is the same way, but that's not really the norm for that species, I just got an aggressive eater.:)

But I will give 2 that I have found to be above and beyond when it comes to feeding response...P. cambridgei....ridiculously fast and eager to tackle EVERYTHING they can. Crickets are slammed so quickly I don't even think they know what's going on, even after the fact.

But #1 on my list is Pamphobeteus, I'll beat this genus' drum till my hands fall off!!! Crazy eager eaters, running from great distances, jumping on prey and engulfing everything they can, simply unbelievable....pre-molt often means nothing as they will continue to attack like they just molted...I think if I offered food while mine was molting it would stop and try to eat!

Great example....After my P. nigricolor's last molt (2 subsequent feedings), I went 4 days between feedings, which is an eternity for this hungry, fast growing spider. It was about 1 or 2 am and I decided to feed. I grabbed a big cricket with the big tweezers, opened the top and began to lower the prey in. At this point the t was on the far side, facing into the side, I thought I was catching it off guard a bit. Well I lowered in the cricket and a when I was still a good foot above the enclosure opening the cricket began to flail wildly...in the blink of an eye that nigricolor ran up the side, jumped that foot onto the tweezers, grabbed the cricket and was back in the enclosure munching away! BEST HIT EVER!!!!

We need lots more of this genus more readily available in the hobby...everyone should have one, there's no reason they aren't more popular other than availability (which equates to price). Buy one or 5, doesn't matter the species, you WILL be absolutely THRILLED with it if you love big time feeding response.

Large potential size and fast growth are a recipe for a great eater.;)
I couldn't agree more cold I thought my gbb female was an eating machine as she catches adult roaches mid air half the time. But a few month's ago I purchased a Pamphobeteus sp mascara and a month later a Pamphobeteus sp machalla both slings at this point and boy did they surprise me the smallest one the machalla chases it's food like a cheetah but certainly means business. The mascara on the other hand hits prey in an instant and with such force that the t and prey both do a combat role 1st time I saw it I was in awe and couldn't quite believe a 1" sling would be capable of that. As for banging the drum on this genus I'm with you on that they are a lot more interesting and often a lot prettier than most large t's

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
my GBB is like a garbage disposal, yesterday I fed my GBB a small cricket because that is all I had left and it grabbed that one before it even touched the ground. then later on my gf got back from work and came in the door with a bag of large crickets and some decoid roaches. meanwhile my GBB was still feeding on the small cricket so thought I might as well just throw a large cricket in there so that it will be there when it gets hungry again, but nope! the second that cricket hit the ground my GBB ran over to it (with the small cricket in her mouth) and grabbed the large one too. so at this point it is feeding on two crickets at the same time. then later that night my gf put a roach in my GBB's cage and it wasn't alive in there for more than a second before my GBB grabbed a hold of it!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have a B. Smithi that hits like a freight train. On one noteworthy feeding occasion she managed to lunge so hard at a male dubia that she rolled on to her back, and still continued wrestling it. For almost a full minute she was on her back kicking and biting this male roach. Best feed I've ever seen!

Akai

Arachnobaron
My P. antinous is the only T that makes me nervous to feed sometimes. lol Just like Cold Blood I had a big girl leap for a fluttering roach on a tong. Scared the shiz outta me. lol I want to collect every Phampho in the hobby. These things are athletic killers from sling to adults. lol

Slings are ruthless! :eek:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My GBB literally tackles its prey and rolls around with it. Its the only tarantula I have that will actually chase it's prey around the enclosure. My B.smithi is also voracious and eats everything. It will eat up to a week or two prior to molting. As for my slings, I'd say that the my blue fang is definitely the most voracious eater. It never refuses a meal. Cambridgei slings deserve an honorable mention as they rarely refuse a meal either.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Guess which one is faster?? A Blatta lateralis "turkish red racer" cockroach or a Hapalopus sp. columbia?

Hint: It ain't red. lol

gobey

Arachnoknight
My MF G. porteri and my two 4-5" LPs. They'll always eat immediately. Everything else. Waits around to eat when they feel like it. I've never seen the OBT eat. My most entertaining slings to feed are the two P. regalis, and my 2 largest B. albos. The rest again eat at their own leisure.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Every GBB I've ever had seem to take their prey before it ever touches the ground.
A. geniculata was a little slow on the uptake one feeding day and her roach ran behind her just filled water bowl. She flipped the water bowl like it was nothing, splashing me, herself, and sloshing water all over my bed.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a few neophobes who take forever to decide if they will try a novel prey item. They mosey over, reach out one front foot or pedipalp, think about it, place a couple of feet on the prey to taste it, think about it some more.... Ends in one of three ways - casually manipulate with fangs and pedipalps before slowly sinking fangs in and proceeding with meal; suddenly decide it's really food and snatch it up; or walk away and hope for something better to come along. My LP came up with a fourth way, after careful consideration as to the benefits of eating a hornworm, she buried it.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I probably have a 3 way tie between a few of my spiders. The most funny was probably my P.vitatta when I fed him a roach. The roach started furiously digging and burrowing around the sub, when he figured out it was there it preceded to dig after it. I could not see a thing besides the surface of the sub moving around ala a loony toons cartoon. I knew he caught it because all the movement stopped and I noticed a fat spider the next day. My G.pulchripes is very food aggressive as I regularly hear a thud as it slams the prey item, or it just grabs the food while its falling, these are no pet rocks.

Finally the prize goes to the P.sp Platyomma, pamphs are probably the only spiders I'd ever worry about over feeding because they just don't stop. I fed mine who is probably in heavy pre-molt yesterday, when I thought better of it and tried to take the cricket away, it grabbed the cricket and slapped my tongs. This genus does not mess around when it comes to food and is always a crowd pleaser, mine prefers just to slap and bite instead of hair, allowing those with sensitivities to enjoy them too.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
My C. fasciatum has a system where he teleports to his food, works every time:sarcasm:
I have a B. Smithi that hits like a freight train. On one noteworthy feeding occasion she managed to lunge so hard at a male dubia that she rolled on to her back, and still continued wrestling it. For almost a full minute she was on her back kicking and biting this male roach. Best feed I've ever seen!
Wished my two girls were like yours lol.. They're as lazy as a potato lol

My T.gigas however, is a different story. If scientists need physical evidence for teleportation, they should be watching T.gigas lol