Introducing M balfouri as a communal

tylerdpeter

Arachnopeon
I currently have a female roughly 4" and plan on receiving a 1.5" juvie this coming week. I don't think it's a good idea to house them together because of the size difference but you never know. I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Afaik communals of any kind work best (if at all) if raising sacmates together. But those more experienced with that kind of keeping will likely chime in :)

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
From everything I've gathered, M. Balfouri's are among the least likely to cannibalize, and are very tolerant of each other. However, I haven't been able to find any information (and haven't looked that hard either, lol) on reintroduction after separation or mixing non-related juveniles/sub adults with slings. I have 3 sac mates myself- but I separated them. If it was me, I'd probably hold off on introducing them, simply because they are still pretty expensive and not worth the experiment at this stage (to me anyway) if something goes wrong.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do know one keeper who introduced 3 or 4 unrelated females into a communal situation succesfully. However, they were all subadults of comparable size.

ETA: I should qualify that it was at least successful ~2 months post introduction. I haven't heard whether it continued in that vein or not.

Last edited: