Species that look like Nhandu chromatus?

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I was at a LPS an I saw a tarantula labeled brazilian red and white tarantula which is obviously the common name for N. chromatus but I want to be sure there's nothing else it could be. I unfortunately forgot to take a picture but it was a black tarantula with a red rump and white carapace and white lines on it's legs. The only thing I know looks similar is A. geniculata but that doesn't have the white carapace. If there's nothing else anyone could think it would be then I'm going to go back and get it if it's still there when I get paid. Anything else similar they could be mistaking it for?

CBickert

Arachnopeon
I was at a LPS an I saw a tarantula labeled brazilian red and white tarantula which is obviously the common name for N. chromatus but I want to be sure there's nothing else it could be. I unfortunately forgot to take a picture but it was a black tarantula with a red rump and white carapace and white lines on it's legs. The only thing I know looks similar is A. geniculata but that doesn't have the white carapace. If there's nothing else anyone could think it would be then I'm going to go back and get it if it's still there when I get paid. Anything else similar they could be mistaking it for?
Sounds like a chromatus to me!! Beautiful, beautiful T. A picture would confirm but it sounds like it is too late. Trust your instinct! :)

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chromatus is the only one I'm familiar with that has the white carapace. It's what easily differentiates it from the others.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Chromatus is the only one I'm familiar with that has the white carapace. It's what easily differentiates it from the others.
Actually the carapace is beige. It used to be known as Lasiodora cristata.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I went back to the store and got it!! So finally here's some pictures. None of them were taken in the container it's in now. It's currently in a medium breeder box from exo terra filled most of the way with barely wet substrate that I'll let dry out, a half log to hide in and a water dish and a little fake plant. Is it definitely a Nhandu chromatus? Any advice is appreciated but I did look up this species quite a bit as its one of my favorites. So yes I already know about the awful hairs and the attitude. I saw plenty of it rehousing it lol. It looks a lot lighter than irl probably because it was right under the light.

Attachments

KcFerry

Arachnosquire
Is it the picture, or maybe just me, but it looks pretty beat-up!
The carapace is lighter than my N. chromatus, but that's the only difference at a glance.
Wild caught maybe???

cold blood

Staff member
Is it the picture, or maybe just me, but it looks pretty beat-up!
The carapace is lighter than my N. chromatus, but that's the only difference at a glance.
Wild caught maybe???
I thought similar, but I think it may just be getting closer to molting, drabbing everything out a bit. It will look great again in due time IMO.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I'm hoping it molts soon so I can confirm the gender. That's the only downside to not buying on the forums but I wanted to save on shipping and for some reason this store has pretty good prices and some rare species. I doubt it's wild caught but I guess anythings possible since I don't know exactly where it came from. Like I said the lighting messed up the picture quality. It's legs are a bit darker and the abdomen is more red/orange. Whenever it does molt I'll try to post pics of it's bright colors :)