Tumor under my female Xenesthis immanis?

amok

Arachnopeon
Hello all,

Today I noticed that my big female Xenesthis immanis had something on the underside of its abdomen. Between the 3rd and 4th legs (where the legs join the abdomen). It had molted 3-4 months ago and has been doing quite well, i.e. moving normally, eating like a beast and quite active... Here are some pictures, it looks like a white 3 headed tumor, should/could I do anything? :

amok

Arachnopeon
I am really worried. Though it is skittish/defensive by nature, I am willing to pinch grab it somehow and remove the tumor. Should I do this? Is there no one here that has any idea about what it is?

Neoza

Arachnobaron
It sounds risky.. i think you have 2 options; Taking it off and have the risk it will bleed and stuff or waiting to mold of but with the risk it are eggs or that it grows! But i dont think it are eggs, because on the picture you see its 'connected' to the body and not placed on the body. And which bug will do this?

awiec

Arachnoprince
It's possible that during the molting process something didn't fuse properly resulting in this to form/"spill out". Seeing as you are in Turkey is it possible that something could have gotten into her cage if you want to go with the idea that they are eggs. For the time being I suggest not stressing her out too much and try not to spook her causing whatever that is to rupture.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Yes i was also thinking about something that is 'hanging out' of the body.

amok

Arachnopeon
It's possible that during the molting process something didn't fuse properly resulting in this to form/"spill out". Seeing as you are in Turkey is it possible that something could have gotten into her cage if you want to go with the idea that they are eggs. For the time being I suggest not stressing her out too much and try not to spook her causing whatever that is to rupture.
I didn't relate being in Turkey to something getting into its cage :) I should state that I have 80 or so tarantulas, of which 55 of them are adult females. I regularly check all of my tarantulas' cages (and my cages are from clear glass), none of them (including my X. immanis' cage) have any other life form as far as I can see, except the occasional springtails.

I like your idea that it might be something not fusing properly during the molt process, resulting in a spilled out form, I hope it is this :)

Anyway, I would like to be sure of the cause and if I should do anything... Thank you all.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Any ideas?
Only idea I have is the one I presented, tarantula health is not something that is really known but they are very unique in that they can regenerate their bodies. The best thing you can do is make sure she gets to the next molt and hope she heals herself.

cold blood

Staff member
Considering your collection, I'd think you may have a decent idea as to when you may expect the next molt....I imagine having molted 4 months ago that it could be coming in the next few months, but then I don't have an X. immanis (yet), so you'd know its schedule better than I could speculate.

If you are comfortable with a pinch grab, it may give you a much better idea as to what it is up close and personal. Who knows, it may be easily brushed off or removed.

I wish you the best of luck, its a very special species!

amok

Arachnopeon
Considering your collection, I'd think you may have a decent idea as to when you may expect the next molt....I imagine having molted 4 months ago that it could be coming in the next few months, but then I don't have an X. immanis (yet), so you'd know its schedule better than I could speculate.

If you are comfortable with a pinch grab, it may give you a much better idea as to what it is up close and personal. Who knows, it may be easily brushed off or removed.

I wish you the best of luck, its a very special species!
Thank you for your kind words and good wishes.

I think I will wait a couple of weeks and observe the tumor, if it is growing I will definitely do something, if it is the same I will wait for the next molt...

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Make sure it doesn't change color, too. When eggs are ready to hatch they change to a darker color. Again, like CB said, it would be best if yo could pinch grab her and get a real good look at it, maybe even try and brush it off wit h a soft bristled paintbrush.

My guess is that when it molted something happened and possibly a bubble of hemolymph or tissue got pushed to the edge before it properly hardened, leaving the strange lump. Like when a car tire is really thin and weak and the pressure causes a bubble to form, only this one solidified.

Keep us updated if it comes off during the next molt.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Are you sure it's not a piece of refuse that somehow got stuck there? I remember reading a thread a while back with a strange white "thing" hanging out of the bottom of a T's mouth or underside and it was determined in the end that it was just fecal matter that somehow dried in a weird way and stuck to the underside.

cold blood

Staff member
Are you sure it's not a piece of refuse that somehow got stuck there? I remember reading a thread a while back with a strange white "thing" hanging out of the bottom of a T's mouth or underside and it was determined in the end that it was just fecal matter that somehow dried in a weird way and stuck to the underside.
Haha, my most favoritest of all the culprits...good 'ole poo poo. :o_O:

This doesn't appear to be doodie though.:)

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was just curious as to whether or not the OP ever figured out what this was? Hope all is well ... please give us an update!

amok

Arachnopeon
I was just curious as to whether or not the OP ever figured out what this was? Hope all is well ... please give us an update!
I haven't figured it out, unfortunately. But, the good thing is that it isn't growing or spreading, and the immanis is eating and acting normal. Knock on wood :)