First Pet Tarantula

Tlover95

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Tlover95 and I'm new here and I'm hoping to get a tarantula within the next year or 2. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good websites where I could find 2" or larger female B. smithi's, B. auratum's or B. annitha's (doesn't really matter, they all look about the same to me except some minor differences, although I'd prefer a B. smithi)? I've already been suggested Swifts Invertebrates, Tarantulaspiders, Ken The Bug Guy and Jamies Tarantulas, any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Akai

Arachnobaron
Petcenter USA and Net-Bug. Net Bug has sexed B.smithi right now. Good luck!

Zigana

Arachnosquire
Stamps Tarantulas have a B. smith, 5" female and a B. auratum 2.5" female available.

cold blood

Staff member
Shop the classifieds here...better prices by far. If you've got that much time to wait, you will eventually find a good, if not a great deal.

pardozer

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I second what cold blood says. I've gotten some awesome deals on tarantulas using ab classifieds.

Tlover95

Arachnopeon
Is Tbreeders.com any good? they sound pretty reputable, and right now they sell 4.5 inch B. smithi females for $175, pretty much perfect price and size

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I've had good service from Tarantula Breeders. Check the "Reviews" thread for info on dealers and breeders who sell.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm Tlover95 and I'm new here and I'm hoping to get a tarantula within the next year or 2. I'm wondering if anyone knows any good websites where I could find 2" or larger female B. smithi's, B. auratum's or B. annitha's (doesn't really matter, they all look about the same to me except some minor differences, although I'd prefer a B. smithi)? I've already been suggested Swifts Invertebrates, Tarantulaspiders, Ken The Bug Guy and Jamies Tarantulas, any other suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! :)
honestly, if your gonna make it your first, I would just go with a sling on one of the websites that you have been suggested. the sub-adults and adults and sometimes be kind of costly and its, in my opinion, better you you get your T as a sling. you become more attached to them that way and get to watch them grow up into a very beautiful tarantula! makes the caring for it just that much more worth it!

Tlover95

Arachnopeon
honestly, if your gonna make it your first, I would just go with a sling on one of the websites that you have been suggested. the sub-adults and adults and sometimes be kind of costly and its, in my opinion, better you you get your T as a sling. you become more attached to them that way and get to watch them grow up into a very beautiful tarantula! makes the caring for it just that much more worth it!
You may have a point there, thing is though, if I end up with a baby T and when it grows up after 5 long years it turns out to be a male and only has a year left to live, I'd be pretty PO'd lol

cold blood

Staff member
You may have a point there, thing is though, if I end up with a baby T and when it grows up after 5 long years it turns out to be a male and only has a year left to live, I'd be pretty PO'd lol
6-10 years is still a great amount of time for an invert, that's one of the draws to slower growing species, even if you get a male, you'll still get the better part of a decade out of it, I don't see how someone could be upset about 6-10 years...heck, that's how long many large dog breeds live. In the case of these slower growers, I consider a female as just a bonus.

Tlover95

Arachnopeon
6-10 years is still a great amount of time for an invert, that's one of the draws to slower growing species, even if you get a male, you'll still get the better part of a decade out of it, I don't see how someone could be upset about 6-10 years...heck, that's how long many large dog breeds live. In the case of these slower growers, I consider a female as just a bonus.
meh, idk, way I see if i can get a sexed juvenile female for $200 or less, I'm all good, i don't exactly plan to be buying Tarantulas and Scorpions left and right, 2 a year (1 tarantula, 1 scorpion) at the most, but that's just me :)

MagicalLobster

Arachnosquire
Depending on when you get into buying one different dealers may end up having B. smithi. I'm going to repeat some you've said but when you're ready I'd check Jamie's Tarantulas, Swift's Inverts, Ken the Bug Guy, Pet Center USA, and the classifieds on this forum (For sale/trade). In the mean time pick up Stan Schultz's book The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.