Heteroscodra Maculata Question

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, I have been rehousing some of my tarantulas into their adult homes recently and finally got them their own shelf to accommodate their tubs! Very excited about them growing up and being more visible in their new homes....On to my concern...My Hmac female has been hiding for months now. I have not seen her at all in about 2-3 months since moving her into her new tub. She came out at night for a few nights and then she webbed off her hide and I have not seen her since. I expected she was due for a molt but figured she would come out soon. She has not so I dropped a few crickets into her tub and most of them disappeared soon after. Lately, I have dropped her a superworm every week or two. They have also seemed to disappear and I have checked the substrate for them... They might still be hiding in there if she has not eaten them....When do I worry enough to disturb the hide and make sure she is ok?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
You don't want to EVER let superworms hide in the substrate. They're known to resurface and eat holes in molting spiders. Have you looked at their mouthparts? They can do some damage. They're like mobile landmines in a spider's cage. Hopefully your maculata sealed in it's retreat wasn't chewed up by the superworms. I'd check on the her to make sure she's alive, and change out the substrate.

Superworms can be a good alternative food for spiders large enough to overpower them, and hungry enough to be up to the task. Some spiders won't eat them at all. I have the best luck when the spiders are starving after a molt. However, I give my spiders several seconds to grab the superworm, and if they don't get it immediately, I take it out (with forceps) before it buries itself.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Yeah I have dug superworms out of substrate before... I will have to avoid feeding them to spiders that may not be hungry. My Hmac has killed them before when she wasn't hungry so I was under the impression she would do likewise again if she had to. I have to figure out how to open up her hide without having her flee the scene.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
B dubia are better but only worth it if you have a good number of Ts to eat them. They Wont injury your Ts either.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I want to get a dubia colony going but I don't know if now is the right time for it. My 23 T's might justify it but when the males mature out and either pass away or are shipped off, I figure I will have only 8-15 T's left. I checked the Hmac, and he is good. Enclosure is clear of worms and the spider has ventured out after some crickets the last few nights. The disappointment now comes when I say I believe that the Hmac that was sold to me as a sexed female is looking to be a male....very feathery legs and greyish brown with none of that white/black contrast. The dealer that sold him to be has fallen off the grid since my purchase....the price was right so I am not out any money for this mistake but still I wish I had known about them what my research since has told me. I lined the pocket of the wrong dealer...whoops.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I checked the Hmac, and he is good. Enclosure is clear of worms and the spider has ventured out after some crickets the last few nights. The disappointment now comes when I say I believe that the Hmac that was sold to me as a sexed female is looking to be a male....very feathery legs and greyish brown with none of that white/black contrast. The dealer that sold him to be has fallen off the grid since my purchase....the price was right so I am not out any money for this mistake but still I wish I had known about them what my research since has told me. I lined the pocket of the wrong dealer...whoops.
So is it a mature male? Females get that distinctive chalky white color when they're half-sized juveniles. Males usually mature out on the small side.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My male matured at about 3 or so inches. I have a mature female that's about 5 inches. The chalky white doesn't show up til they become juveniles.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
My Hmac is about 3.5-4 inches now and has no contrast just a faint pattern to it. This would be my first T to actually mature out so I would like to ship him as a breeder but don't know if I am up for it. Hmac is a dicey spider to work with especially at my experience level and my focus has been garbage lately...unexpected death in the family, not to start a pity party for myself.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
So is it a mature male? Females get that distinctive chalky white color when they're half-sized juveniles. Males usually mature out on the small side.
From what I understand, not all H mac locales have chalky white females. While I've not owned nor seen them personally, I see gray females for sale on various German price lists. Perhaps Storm or another German poster could weigh in?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
From what I understand, not all H mac locales have chalky white females. While I've not owned nor seen them personally, I see gray females for sale on various German price lists. Perhaps Storm or another German poster could weigh in?
All of the captive and w/c maculata's I've seen have been the chalky white type. Are any other forms in the US?

My first thought about a non-chalky maculata, is that someone mixed it up with a Stromatopelma, which does happen as they're almost identical when they're small.

azroc909

Arachnosquire
Ive had the same concern when i first got my hmac, with time you will get to know their routine. Tarantulas can go months without eating so your main concern is to not feed superworms and i wouldnt even do crickets just incase she is moltingand make sure you have a water dish. When shes hungry she will come out at night to search for dood and youll be able to see her. Mine did the same hid out of sight for a while, i would crush a dubias head and leave it by the entrance of her hide, it was gone in the morning. Then she stopped taking them to find out she molted a month later now she just waits at the entrance of her hide. Dont worry itll be fine.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Not in the US I am aware of - just what I have seen on German pricelists. The people who have them listed, though, I trust to know their stuff. Although ID errors can happen to the best of us.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
i wouldnt even do crickets just incase she is molting.

They usually seal up their retreats when molting, so a cricket in there usually isn't an issue, unless it's too big. My H mac slings would be out or at the mouth of their retreats at night when they're hungry. No problem with them taking crickets. I've got Stromatopelma slings now, 1 1/2", that are taking adult male crickets with the rear legs pinched off. Tough little spiders, and H macs that size would probably do the same.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just as a note, let's not forget that H. macs web a LOT, very thick, and often put up "dirt curtains" so they cannot be seen. They like it that way. So in most cases, being concerned about a hiding H. mac is like being concerned about a shedding cat.

Sadly, I can't see my girl at all anymore. I used to be able to shine a flashlight into the web just the right way so I could see her, but she got sick of that and thickened the web. The only way I can tell she's ok right now is to drop a cricket into the small hole in her web and listen for the furious attack. She and my OBT are the worst display spiders ever.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sadly, I can't see my girl at all anymore. I used to be able to shine a flashlight into the web just the right way so I could see her, but she got sick of that and thickened the web. The only way I can tell she's ok right now is to drop a cricket into the small hole in her web and listen for the furious attack. She and my OBT are the worst display spiders ever.
I've got some 3" maculata in shoebox side cages (Sterlite 6 qt) and they're out and about when they're hungry. I see them regularly. As they get older, they don't spin as much.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Well thanks everybody for the advice. I do believe that this Hmac is a male but time will tell. I have noticed some more poop on the cage walls so I think he has been wandering about more often than I know for the last few days. I do like the Hmac and other OW arboreals but I am considering focusing on NW terrestrials and African terrestrials for a time. The ones I have are emerging as some of my favorite spiders to care for...exception being Psalmopoeus which I do really love. Not always visible but raising from tiny slings is awesome with those fearless and intense feeding responses. Anyway, next up for me should be P. Cancerides and G. Pulchra, plus making sure I have a female OBT and P. Irmina in the collection. By the way, what is the best way to soften and spread a molt for sexing without beating it up to bad? This may come in handy for my Hmac very soon!

cold blood

Staff member
Anyway, next up for me should be P. Cancerides and G. Pulchra, plus making sure I have a female OBT and P. Irmina in the collection.
I recently picked up a few P. cancerides, their feeding response lives up to the billing. Even as sub 1" slings they nail everything instantly.

I love Psalmos, too.:)

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
I will tell ya what cold blood, my L. Klugi slings have become fan favorites over here. I don't put it past em to run out of their cups but as long as I got a cricket ready they will always pounce rather than run! Hope I get a burly female out of my pair! I said it on another thread but I really appreciate the boldness of some NW terrestrials, particularly the big un's. They stay visible and eat readily and I can't help but love that about em. Love my genics also....hence why I am looking to get P. Cancerides. Hell, my G. Pulchripes has become a character, always trying to walk out of her cup when I open it....social butterfly. Hence why I want a G. Pulchra. Dang it if u spider people have not corrupted me...just bought a 36wx18dx72h(inches) shelving unit to accommodate adult tubs. Y'all know this journey has not been without growing pains but I am staying focused on giving my spiders the best. Thanks to all of the members here who have helped me along the way....I am sure my learning will never be complete!

cold blood

Staff member
I will tell ya what cold blood, my L. Klugi slings have become fan favorites over here. I don't put it past em to run out of their cups but as long as I got a cricket ready they will always pounce rather than run! Hope I get a burly female out of my pair! I said it on another thread but I really appreciate the boldness of some NW terrestrials, particularly the big un's. They stay visible and eat readily and I can't help but love that about em. Love my genics also....hence why I am looking to get P. Cancerides. Hell, my G. Pulchripes has become a character, always trying to walk out of her cup when I open it....social butterfly. Hence why I want a G. Pulchra. Dang it if u spider people have not corrupted me...just bought a 36wx18dx72h(inches) shelving unit to accommodate adult tubs. Y'all know this journey has not been without growing pains but I am staying focused on giving my spiders the best. Thanks to all of the members here who have helped me along the way....I am sure my learning will never be complete!
Dude, you NEED to get a PAMPHO!!

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
Cheapest I saw Pamphobeteus Antinous was like 60 bucks for ~1.5"!!!! I can get G. Pulchra for less from dealers...In all sincerity, is there a reason I should pay that price rather than look for P. Cancerides, G. Pulchra, Acanthoscurria Suina, etc.? I would like Pamphobeteus sp. Mascara, but dangit they are costly!!!