Ornamentals anyone?

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
so i am about to buy a new ornamental one of my favorites and i am not sure if i should get a P. regalis or a P. vittata. Any opinions? I like the contrast you see on these two species. I know i can't hold them but i would like to see it. Any information would really help me.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can't go wrong with a regalis. Just be careful of the speed.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
Have you had fast Ts before? I had a MM vittata and he left a smoke trail behind him when he was being rehoused.

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have both, and I'm partial to the coloration of the vitatta myself (my female vitatta is also my wife's favorite in my collection due to her striking appearance). My P. vitatta is also a bit calmer than the two P. regalis I have. However, I would say both are gorgeous and amazing species. When spooked, both are actually VERY fast...

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing how quick they can move for such large spiders.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
I would also like to get a P. metallica anyone know what the slings of this species go for, and when i should look for them?

gobey

Arachnoknight
There's a dealer on the classifieds here that sells 2" P. Metallica slings for $150. Which from what I can see is good for a 2 incher.

I'd buy one if I had the money and didn't have too many Ts. Instead I have 2 P. regalis. And even at 1.5 inches my regalis' are very pretty. And fast.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I would also like to get a P. metallica anyone know what the slings of this species go for, and when i should look for them?
Anytime really, right now there are sellers trying to off the stuff that didn't sell from last year or early this year. I like to wait until spring to buy my spiders as thats when a lot of things hatch out. metallicas are generally the calmest of the genus, though I will say mine is very confrontational and gives a lot of threat poses. I never see my regalis and my vitatta is probably the most calm, so I'd recommend one for the combo of personality and price.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Of all the Poecilotheria I have (Regalis, Miranda, Metallica, Rufilata, and Vitatta), the Rufilata is by leaps and bounds the calmest and least likely to bolt.

tarantulaperson

Arachnopeon
ok so neither of the ornamentals i was thinking about hide any more than the other? I didn't think so but i wanted tot make sure. Even with metallicas being calm would anyone hold one? or are they just to fast/temperamental?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Anytime really, right now there are sellers trying to off the stuff that didn't sell from last year or early this year. I like to wait until spring to buy my spiders as thats when a lot of things hatch out.

You make it sound like the ones from last year are leftovers and rejects, like day old bread or factory seconds. You need a fresh batch from the sping that's not stale?

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
ok so neither of the ornamentals i was thinking about hide any more than the other? I didn't think so but i wanted tot make sure. Even with metallicas being calm would anyone hold one? or are they just to fast/temperamental?
I wouldn't attempt to hold ANY of the ornamentals. They are defensive at best, and have some of the 'hottest' venom going. Better to just look and admire.

As for a choice, I almost prefer the patterning on the vittata, although I don't own one, and DO have 3 regalis.

Good luck. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Even with metallicas being calm would anyone hold one? or are they just to fast/temperamental?
The hobby's maturing and moving towards being anti-holding, as it's just a pointless stunt that risks spider's lives. Handling old world's is the kind of thing that may get tarantulas banned.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Old Worlds especially should not be held. Based on the questions you're asking, I'd hold off on getting a Pokie until you've gotten more experience. They have very strong venom and are extremely fast. Holding one is a good way to either get bitten or have an escape.