I Understand the Pain...

Ashton

Arachnoknight
I went to my first Repticon today and now I get it. I went with $35 in my pocket and came back with $0 and 2 A. genics and 1 A. broc. Uh oh. I was glad that they had one fantastic vendor. I saw an H. pulchripes sling and wow I was amazed. Glad I didn't have $435.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I went to my first Repticon today and now I get it. I went with $35 in my pocket and came back with $0 and 2 A. genics and 1 A. broc. Uh oh. I was glad that they had one fantastic vendor. I saw an H. pulchripes sling and wow I was amazed. Glad I didn't have $435.
looks cool H. pulchripes , ill stick to poor mans version, OBT sadly no blue coloring.
They look pretty stunning though, like blue footed baboon.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
New Ts are always real expensive til breeders bring price down. P Metallica could be $20 bucks if people bred em enough.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I will be going to my third repticon in February. Last time I went, I had about $350, I left with maybe $30.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Still a good choice of Ts., Excellent striping.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
New Ts are always real expensive til breeders bring price down. P Metallica could be $20 bucks if people bred em enough.
That will never happen. It's not only availability playing into this - it's also demand. And with that high demand, certain spiders will keep in a certain price range. Also, P. met slings go for 25-35 EUR here for ~1"...and they're bred regularly.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Haha congrats and welcome to the world of shallow pockets lol

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
That will never happen. It's not only availability playing into this - it's also demand. And with that high demand, certain spiders will keep in a certain price range. Also, P. met slings go for 25-35 EUR here for ~1"...and they're bred regularly.
+1. We are gradually heading towards European pricing, and shouldn't expect things to go much below that. As prices fall, more people will get into the hobby, and demand stays strong. What's limited the hobby in the US are the prices. Very few people, even animal people, are going to spend $50+ for a delicate 1/2" sling. They may spend that on an adult, but many adults here retail for over $100, and some well over that. Unfortunately that excludes a lot of people that would otherwise be interested.

There's only so many people breeding spiders (the majority of spiders are never bred), and most tropicals don't live 20-30 years.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Which is something I'll never understand really. Especially considering that most species over here, for example Avics, Tappies, Psalms aso - go for 5-15 Eur a sling. And the excuse with "importing" I don't buy anymore! If you breed over there, it's up to you what you want to sell it for - interestingly most prices over there are ridiculously high compared to Europe. And I'm not talking about adults, I'm talking slings. My G. pulchripes AF that I bought a couple years ago cost me 60 EUR with her ~6" size, a 4 year old specimen raised by the breeder I got her from. And that price was fine - another example is B. auratum, I got mine at ~3-4" for 45 EUR even. In the US I'd likely pay $200+ for such a T I believe. Once again the excuse "importing is pricey" won't work considering all those people breeding them. But in the end if someone sells their spiderlings for $50 a piece, why would you want to go below? Bottom line: To me it's a mixture of human greed and the fluctuations of the market (demand) in general that determine prices.