Looking to re-home a Leopard Gecko in the SF Bay Area

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know the sex, so Assholemouth (yes, that's the name) will be referred to as him.

I'm sick of dealing with crickets and don't feel like I put enough effort into taking care of my Leopard Gecko. A friend of mine bought him for her kid and he lost interest pretty quickly. They totally neglected him so I took him and it's been probably about a year now. I'm looking to re-home him and figured I'd try here before having some random person from Craigslist take him. The consensus on here when I got him was that he's a Murphy's Patternless. He seems happy and eats well. He hasn't been handled much so he kind of freaks out when you pick him up.

I think the tank is around 50 gallons and you can have the table that it's currently sitting on. The heat lamp and other stuff is included as well. I'm not asking for any money and would just like to see him go to a good home.

I'm in Martinez close to the 680/4 interchange. You must pick up from my house.

Last edited:

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your tired of crickets, meal worms are very easy to deal with.
I use meal worms almost exclusively.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I could give them a try. The only problem is Petco is the only pet store that's close by and their meal worms suck. I'm not driving 20+ minutes each way to the nearest real pet store just for meal worms and I'm rarely out by it.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up some meal worms when I was buying crickets tonight to give them a try. He seems to really like them so I guess I'll give it a go with them instead.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I could give them a try. The only problem is Petco is the only pet store that's close by and their meal worms suck. I'm not driving 20+ minutes each way to the nearest real pet store just for meal worms and I'm rarely out by it.
You can order them online, it is much more convenient. I would try Phoenix Worms as they are more nutritious.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best thing about mealworms is that they stay alive/fresh forever if kept in the fridge in a container of oats. So you can get 500 at a time and if you feed 5-7 per night, you'll pretty much be able to use all of them.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can order them online, it is much more convenient. I would try Phoenix Worms as they are more nutritious.
What kind of worms are they since they only have one kind on their site?

The best thing about mealworms is that they stay alive/fresh forever if kept in the fridge in a container of oats. So you can get 500 at a time and if you feed 5-7 per night, you'll pretty much be able to use all of them.
Good to know. Thanks.

BTW, I also talked to my friend that I got the gecko from and she said he loves roaches. I might give them a try. I never brought it up until I saw her tonight and she said he was less than a year old when she bought him and I've had him for about a year and a half. He's less than 3 years old. If I can figure out a food source that doesn't piss me off, I have a pet for awhile. I just really hate crickets. I hated them when I had a scorpion and I hate them even more now.

My favorite thing about him is that he poops in what was the humid hide I made for him. It's the only place he poops and it makes cleaning that up super easy. The little bastard is smarter than I thought. :laugh:

Edit: I am no longer looking to get rid of him. I'm going to go with other food sources.

Last edited:

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My favorite thing about him is that he poops in what was the humid hide I made for him. It's the only place he poops and it makes cleaning that up super easy. The little bastard is smarter than I thought. :laugh:

Edit: I am no longer looking to get rid of him. I'm going to go with other food sources.
Glad to hear that! Leos are awesome pets. Mine poop in the same spot also. When I had two in one tank, they each had a separate corner. It was like cats that each take to a particular litter box. Hehe

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ordered some Phoenix Worms and I should have them Monday (they shipped today).

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not sure if he really likes the Phoenix Worms. If I put a single one in, he'll go after it and spit it out (or just smell it and go back in his hide). If I do a mix of meal worms and the Phoenix Worms he'll eat all of them.

Meal worms are cheaper so I'm going to stick with them. I'll probably give dubias a try for the hell of it.

I bought the Phoenix Worms from rainbowmealworms.net and they have some awesome customer service. They sent my package out and for 2 days it showed that it was being sent back to them due to an insufficient address. They checked their records and said the address was correct. They called me Monday morning and said they'd send a new order out next day FedEx. The original package ended up arriving on time (USPS screwed up) so I called them back. They said to keep them or refuse the package as it had already been sent (less than 2 hours between me talking to them, original order showing up and replacement order being shipped). Of course the shipping/receiving guy at my work missed the FedEx guy today so he just left the package. I had no need for an extra 300 worms so I sent them back today. I am 141% satisfied with how Rainbow Meal Worms handled all of this. I just wish my gecko liked these worms better. I will be buying meal worms from them since their prices are considerably cheaper than buying local.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure if he really likes the Phoenix Worms. If I put a single one in, he'll go after it and spit it out (or just smell it and go back in his hide). If I do a mix of meal worms and the Phoenix Worms he'll eat all of them.

Meal worms are cheaper so I'm going to stick with them. I'll probably give dubias a try for the hell of it.

I bought the Phoenix Worms from rainbowmealworms.net and they have some awesome customer service. They sent my package out and for 2 days it showed that it was being sent back to them due to an insufficient address. They checked their records and said the address was correct. They called me Monday morning and said they'd send a new order out next day FedEx. The original package ended up arriving on time (USPS screwed up) so I called them back. They said to keep them or refuse the package as it had already been sent (less than 2 hours between me talking to them, original order showing up and replacement order being shipped). Of course the shipping/receiving guy at my work missed the FedEx guy today so he just left the package. I had no need for an extra 300 worms so I sent them back today. I am 141% satisfied with how Rainbow Meal Worms handled all of this. I just wish my gecko liked these worms better. I will be buying meal worms from them since their prices are considerably cheaper than buying local.
Yeah, provide a mixed meal, he will get used to them. They are surely more nutritious and multiple food items are always better than a single source.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up another leopard gecko off Craigslist today. :laugh: The tank that came with it is getting re-done tomorrow. This one also doesn't like meal worms from what the guy said and will only eat crickets. It was his daughter's, who recently moved away for college, and he had no interest in taking care of it.

I did get my other one switched over to 90% Phoenix Worms. It just took a little bit of time. I'm sure I can get this one to eat worms as well.

I also switched over to paper towels instead of the "expensive" reptile carpet stuff I was using. The tank also stays 100% cleaner now that I'm not using crickets since he poops in his box thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Cool.

Paper towels will do just perfectly fine.

Just put in a humid hide, plastic box with damp moss in it so they can regulate their humidity requirements.

You can also order crickets online. There is one company that created something called Vitabugs and calciworms, which eliminates the need of dusting the insects. Variety is the best option when it comes to feeding animals.

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I finally broke down and bought some crickets today. The new one came out shortly after I tossed in a couple of crickets so I put a meal worm in front of it. It ate it right away. I started giving it Phoenix Worms and it ate 5 of them. I'm happy.

The people I bought it off of said it would not eat meal worms.