Votes: 17 47.2%
  • Brachypelma klaasi

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
After I went a little overboard with breeding last year and ended up with a ton of slings, I thought to myself I wouldn't be doing any breeding for a while. Well I sold all the slings I produced and now I feel I have room and time for at least one more project. As opposed to some pokies I've already paired, I have a window open for either Monocentropus balfouri or Brachypelma klaasi. I'll use the money produced from what I decide now to fund the other in the future so I'll get to them both eventually, but take a vote for which I should do first.

-JohnD.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Balfouri. It's an absolutely stunning and beautiful spider. Gotta love the old worlds!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You really need to think about it? Considering how awesome it must be to be able to witness how M. balfouri take care of their young that's a nobrainer for me at least - B. klaasi can follow...or you breed both simply. I'd be totally looking forward to to watch those T's raising their young and being able ot document it.

Beltane

Arachnopeon
You really need to think about it? Considering how awesome it must be to be able to witness how M. balfouri take care of their young that's a nobrainer for me at least - B. klaasi can follow...or you breed both simply. I'd be totally looking forward to to watch those T's raising their young and being able ot document it.
^^^This. :)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I'm in the klaasi camp--they're more sorely needed and that one will take longer so you might as well get started on it now. M.balfouri are being bred plenty I think, if availability and falling prices are any indication.

cold blood

Staff member
Absolute no brainer here IMO...Breed the B. klassi already!!

Everyone and their mother with balfouri has intentions to breed them....especially considering the "communal" draw. Those projects are already in place by MANY others.

Add to that that the balfouri is ALREADY more readily available in the hobby.

Klassi is both harder to find (less around) and when you do find them, still more expensive. We NEED more of this species available in a big way...I know I'd get in line to buy klassi!! Do it do it do it!!!! And lots of good vibes and luck from myself, brother!!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
B. klaasi forsure! and when the project is said and done, post the slings/eggsac on here:) also if your selling them afterwards, I may buy one!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
M. balfouri, new worlds suck!
How do they suck? If you prefer OW species that's fine, but I don't get all of the hate for new worlds I'm seeing lately. I'll even go as far as to say old worlds are overrated.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Personal preference. Old worlds are mostly easier to breed, produce sacs way easier, dont eat those sacs constantly, and are more interesting.

cold blood

Staff member
M. balfouri, new worlds suck!
That's your opinion, which you are personally entitled to :))), but the fact remains that there are already far more people looking to breed balfouri and far more going on as we speak. If he chooses balfouri it would make less of an impact within the hobby as in due time they will be very readily available...especially since their growth rate is faster its going to be much easier for the masses to flood the market in due time (I bet a year or two if I had to venture a guess). Klassi don't have that fast growth, there are fewer of them, which means even with proper breeding programs, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to flood the market with them in just a few years. Balfouri just has many, many more opportunities to be bred over and over again, I just don't see that with klassi...few have them and even fewer are breeding them.

I bet if you had equal slings to sell from both sacs, that klassi would be gone in a comparative flash as people looking would not have nearly the options to shop. This species needs to be bred far more often than they are...balfouri are already established with breeding programs all over the country from what I see and read.

This is probably the first serious breeding consideration for klassi I have seen in a while. Just the way I see it anyway.;)

cold blood

Staff member
I don't see why more people can't learn to like both.
Some do, some have certain preferences, nothing abnormal about that.

I feel the same way about manual transmissions in cars...I just don't get the draw of automatics, but that's me, others see it very differently...it just sucks to see a sports car with an automatic, I think there should be laws against that...lol.

To each their own...but I don't see this conversation as quite like that....for me its not a matter of what I, or anyone personally likes best, its a function of what's in greater need for hobbyists, and I don't know how you could argue against the comparatively rare klassi....do nothing, and you will still see balfouri being sold regularly...can't say the same for that Brachy IMO.