gooty saphire ornamental review..

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
okay so I know I could just go and look up care sheets and all that, but I don't find those too helpful or detailed. id much rather get a review about this T from one of you guys that have one! or even if you just really know your Ts and know what your talking about! it would be very much appreciated!!:)

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Females look really neat. Males look neat too but aren't as colorful. Awesome species. I sadly, do not own one but its on the wish list. To my knowledge they have pretty much standard poeci behavior: skittish, fast, sometimes a bit defensive. Also if you do not know this already, poecis have some of the most potent venom so this is not a T that you will want to get bitten by. Seriously.... be careful if you get one.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
Females look really neat. Males look neat too but aren't as colorful. Awesome species. I sadly, do not own one but its on the wish list. To my knowledge they have pretty much standard poeci behavior: skittish, fast, sometimes a bit defensive. Also if you do not know this already, poecis have some of the most potent venom so this is not a T that you will want to get bitten by. Seriously.... be careful if you get one.
I may get one and am aware of the potency of their venom. I don't intend on handling it! just think it will be a very cool species to have for show!

Amimia

Arachnosquire
I have a P. Metallica sling currently. It's about 1".
I think it's in premolt right now (I've heard that its hard to tell with old worlds), but usually he's a great eater, he has his vine and cork bark totally webbed up, he's also a great little display spider. Always in the open :)
Obviously, with him being a sling, and not having him very long I can't really give you too much details but I've had no problem with him. He is skittish and defensive, but I never mess with him except to get a piece of a cricket he left behind so we get along fine right now.

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I have a P. Metallica sling currently. It's about 1".
I think it's in premolt right now (I've heard that its hard to tell with old worlds), but usually he's a great eater, he has his vine and cork bark totally webbed up, he's also a great little display spider. Always in the open :)
Obviously, with him being a sling, and not having him very long I can't really give you too much details but I've had no problem with him. He is skittish and defensive, but I never mess with him except to get a piece of a cricket he left behind so we get along fine right now.
well im hopeing to get one very soon, possibly within 2 weeks. I just don't know which place is the best to go and order it from. <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

JahillHimself

Arachnopeon
I have a 2" P. metallica I bought not too long ago. I think they just look amazing and also wanted to get into the more "advance" type Ts. I put it in a medium plastic jar from walmart with a little sub on the bottom and some cork bark. I glued some silk plants onto the bark and situated the bark so that a smaller piece leans against the larger piece. It made the perfect hide! I love the way this enclosure is set up. It webbed the hide all up, the top of its little web tunnel opens up into a hole in the bark...so cool. When its just hanging out, it pokes out through the hole in the cork bark like a hermit crab.

Anyways, I got a little off topic but I spray the enclosure about twice a week and keep a water bottle cap with water in it. So far so good. I would say by the way it eats and webs, that its thriving in the enclosure I made for it. Not to difficult to take care of.

cold blood

Staff member
well im hopeing to get one very soon, possibly within 2 weeks. I just don't know which place is the best to go and order it from. where did you buy yours?

In one word...classifieds!!!! Plenty of breeders and opportunities here in the AB classifieds!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I have a 2" P. metallica I bought not too long ago. I think they just look amazing and also wanted to get into the more "advance" type Ts. I put it in a medium plastic jar from walmart with a little sub on the bottom and some cork bark. I glued some silk plants onto the bark and situated the bark so that a smaller piece leans against the larger piece. It made the perfect hide! I love the way this enclosure is set up. It webbed the hide all up, the top of its little web tunnel opens up into a hole in the bark...so cool. When its just hanging out, it pokes out through the hole in the cork bark like a hermit crab.

Anyways, I got a little off topic but I spray the enclosure about twice a week and keep a water bottle cap with water in it. So far so good. I would say by the way it eats and webs, that its thriving in the enclosure I made for it. Not to difficult to take care of.
that enclosure you just described sounds pretty cool looking! anyway you can post a pic?:)

---------- Post added 10-27-2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

In one word...classifieds!!!! Plenty of breeders and opportunities here in the AB classifieds!
yeah I know people are selling in the classifieds, but for some odd reason, I just don't feel safe paying for anything over the internet from someone that I find on this site. if that makes any sence. no offense to you or anyone else that may be selling on the classifieds section of this site!

cold blood

Staff member
Anyways, I got a little off topic but I spray the enclosure about twice a week and keep a water bottle cap with water in it. So far so good.
Be careful with all that spraying...I'd just put a little water on the webbing...I do this with my pokie about once every 2 weeks, I can't imagine what it would be like if I did it twice a week. Make sure your enclosure is well (cross) ventilated.

JahillHimself

Arachnopeon
Be careful with all that spraying...I'd just put a little water on the webbing...I do this with my pokie about once every 2 weeks, I can't imagine what it would be like if I did it twice a week. Make sure your enclosure is well (cross) ventilated.
Will do...I don't spray it too much just a little on the web cause I never see the T down near the water cap.

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a few P.mets , they tend to be much more skittish as slings and Juvenal's but my experience as they get bigger they calm down quite a bit .
My adult females are always hiding for the most part or on the back wall of their enclosure and are rather calm for the most part and if they do get nervousness they retreat quit quickly into their hide . 3 of my females are a spectacular blue and very vivid 2 of my females are quite dark and hard to see that their blue .My males are almost always out but they tend to be more skittish and quick to zip around their enclosure before they hide . Some of my boys are as colorful as my females and I have one male that is a whopping 7inches and is spectacular . I have had some males that were very dull in color . They all have been very good eaters and IMO are pretty easy to raise to adults . They are poecs so you always have to pay attention and careful when working with them never get complacent ,their venom is quite potent .
No touchey !! Hope that helps .

Last edited:

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I have a few P.mets , they tend to be much more skittish as slings and Juvenal but my experience as they get big they calm a
down a bit . My adult females are always hiding for the most part or on the back wall of their enclosure and are rather calm for the most part and if they do get nervousness they retreat quit quickly into their hide . 3 of my females are a spectacular blue and very vivid 2 of my females are quite dark and hard to see that their blue .My males are almost always out but they tend to be more skittish and quick to zip around their enclosure before they hide . Some of my boys are as colorful as my
females and I have one male that is a whopping 7 inches and is spectacular . I have had some males that were very dull in
color . They all have been very good eaters and IMO are pretty easy to raise to adults . They are poecs so you always have to
Pay attention and careful when working with them never get complacent ,their venom is quite potent .
No touchey !! Hope that helps .
thanks! I know I shouldn't touch them. it will be hard not to because of how beautiful they are, but I have no intentions of handling mine once I get it!

gobey

Arachnoknight

---------- Post added 10-27-2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

yeah I know people are selling in the classifieds, but for some odd reason, I just don't feel safe paying for anything over the internet from someone that I find on this site. if that makes any sence. no offense to you or anyone else that may be selling on the classifieds section of this site!
I didn't either. But I've had 4 transactions with 3 different members go smooth as silk. And then a private breeding project with one as well. Nobody burned me. No dead or unhealthy spiders. Shipping was always $10 ~ $15

Big vendor prices will almost always be more for both the T and shipping.

And definitely avoid pet shops. I've overpaid for a MM at a pet shop, and we discovered another MM at my friends pet shop that would've sold for $50 if we didn't re house it and find out.

DVMT

Arachnosquire
+1 I've had 2 positive transactions out of 2 so far <edit>. As far as P. metallica go, I have a 2" and she looks great already!

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
I've never had a bad experience with several different vendors in the classifieds from across the country, not one. Plus if you use pay pal, its very safe and protected, its really not something that should give you a moment of concern...its just as safe as the big online dealers. Every vendor has a corresponding review page which will give you a great idea as to what to expect....still worried, just contact people from the reviews and get their first hand experiences, you shouldn't be worried about the security in the classifieds at all...AB makes it very easy to buy with confidence!

I just placed another order today with a vendor I have never used...not an ounce of worry, because I see his reviews are excellent! Can't wait for Wednesday!!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I've never had a bad experience with several different vendors in the classifieds from across the country, not one. Plus if you use pay pal, its very safe and protected, its really not something that should give you a moment of concern...its just as safe as the big online dealers. Every vendor has a corresponding review page which will give you a great idea as to what to expect....still worried, just contact people from the reviews and get their first hand experiences, you shouldn't be worried about the security in the classifieds at all...AB makes it very easy to buy with confidence!

I just placed another order today with a vendor I have never used...not an ounce of worry, because I see his reviews are excellent! Can't wait for Wednesday!!
I will probably give it a try. either way, it looks as though im set on getting one. I just want it to be a small sling. atleast 1/4"-1/2" in size. so I can watch it grow:)

cold blood

Staff member
Im not so good at doing that just yet
Poecs are easy as the males tend to have a button that can be pretty obvious.

666, IME poecs are usually sold at about 3/4", which I agree is a great starting place, especially considering their growth rates.