Two questions from a newbie.

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
So, I have a couple questions.
First Question. Someone offered to mate my MM Rose Hair with his MF. My Rose hair hasn't made a sperm web in a while, I suppose he kind of gave up? However, this man offered to let my MM meet his MF to "encourage" him to make one. I'm not sure if it works or not but I decided why not? So, we let them meet, this was about five days ago. Today, he was pulsing, I guess that would be the right word, like when the male enters the females tank to mate, they kind of pulse. That's what he was doing today. He did it over and over again, does this mean he's ready to mate?? If so, how long can I wait to mate him? The man who wants to mate them lives two hours from me so it would have to be planned for my next day off, Sunday.

Second Question. Right after my male poops, he walks funny. He walks around with his legs extended all the way, his body is about three inches off the ground and his abdomen is pointing downwards. Is this normal? I can get a picture if you need it.

Thank you in advance!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
a) How old is that supposedly MM you have? Are you sure it's a male, meaning can you see the "boxing gloves" the bulbous pedipalps?

b) Has "he" ever made a spermweb in your care even? And on that note - a picture of the T would help - be sure to to take one from the underside (ventral), too please.

c) I've can't say I have ever witnessed anything like what you describe about your T walking funny after pooping. Then again, I rarely witness mine poop anyways - I just have to clean their enclosures...

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
a) How old is that supposedly MM you have? Are you sure it's a male, meaning can you see the "boxing gloves" the bulbous pedipalps?

b) Has "he" ever made a spermweb in your care even? And on that note - a picture of the T would help - be sure to to take one from the underside (ventral), too please.

c) I've can't say I have ever witnessed anything like what you describe about your T walking funny after pooping. Then again, I rarely witness mine poop anyways - I just have to clean their enclosures...

I do not know his age but I know, for a fact that he is a male. Yes, he has both, the bulbous pedipalps and mating hooks.
I can't get a picture at the moment but I hope the photos I add are good enough. One obviously shows both characteristics of a MM and the other is how he looks/walks after he poops. Can you tell me if I should worry??

Attachments

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes he does appear to have the boxing gloves there, not extremely clear from this angle though.

My rosea sometimes stands like that also but not aiming the abdomen down, it's usually just after she has caught food. I would say not to worry about it if he behaves normally in other circumstances, roseas are a bit weird...

Something you could try to be more sure about the pairing is to actually leave your MM at his house for a week, put their enclosures near to each other (walls nearly touching) This means they have a whole week to kind of 'be interested' to one another, and if he hasn't loaded his palps recently it will 'inspire' him to do so lol Not exactly technical wording sorry, I didnt get much sleep last night

Anyway, they will tap to one another throughtout the week and then you could pair them the week after. Of course this would require you trusting the guy with your T while you're not there, so it's up to you =)

TarantulaObsession

Arachnosquire
Yes he does appear to have the boxing gloves there, not extremely clear from this angle though.

My rosea sometimes stands like that also but not aiming the abdomen down, it's usually just after she has caught food. I would say not to worry about it if he behaves normally in other circumstances, roseas are a bit weird...

Something you could try to be more sure about the pairing is to actually leave your MM at his house for a week, put their enclosures near to each other (walls nearly touching) This means they have a whole week to kind of 'be interested' to one another, and if he hasn't loaded his palps recently it will 'inspire' him to do so lol Not exactly technical wording sorry, I didnt get much sleep last night

Anyway, they will tap to one another throughtout the week and then you could pair them the week after. Of course this would require you trusting the guy with your T while you're not there, so it's up to you =)
I agree, it isn't the best angle but you can clearly see the hooks.
Thank you so much, he has done that since day one and it just kind of worried me, ya know? I haven't seen any pictures like that or any information on the position so, it's only natural to worry.
Yeah, definitely not. Thank you for the advise on how to inspire him but I would definitely not trust this man with my baby. He is very precious to me and I would constantly worry. The guy seems to take good care of his Rose but I hardly know him so I can't bring myself to immediately trust him. I'd rather just do a few runs with the mating and hope that if he hasn't already transferred the sperm, seeing her a few times would encourage him to do so.

Anyways, thank you so much.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
next time you are at the guys house ask for a bit of her webbing. put it in with your male and a bit of his in her enclosure. I've heard this can work. I did that with my MM G. porteri.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree, it isn't the best angle but you can clearly see the hooks.
Thank you so much, he has done that since day one and it just kind of worried me, ya know? I haven't seen any pictures like that or any information on the position so, it's only natural to worry.
Yeah, definitely not. Thank you for the advise on how to inspire him but I would definitely not trust this man with my baby. He is very precious to me and I would constantly worry. The guy seems to take good care of his Rose but I hardly know him so I can't bring myself to immediately trust him. I'd rather just do a few runs with the mating and hope that if he hasn't already transferred the sperm, seeing her a few times would encourage him to do so.

Anyways, thank you so much.
Yeah I totally understand haha In that case just give it a try when you have the opportunity, if he is loaded great if not then you can always try again when your sure, no harm no foul =)

If it works will you guys half the slings?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
There's also the possibility that he's simply too old already. Any idea when he matured?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
My Rose hair hasn't made a sperm web in a while,
They're not constantly making sperm webs, especially if they're not mating very often. Most of the time people don't see their males make sperm webs, as males are very secretive about it. Are you watching your spiders 24/7?