GBB vs Versicolour

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
Hi Guys

I am looking to get another T, and im kind of torn between C. CYANEOPUBESCENS and the Avic. versicolor. I have been reading up between the two and this will be my 8th Sling i get. What would you suggest?

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If you don't have experience with Avics, go for the Chromatopelma, as they're hardy and easier to care for. A lot of people have problems with their first Avics. The average terrestrial sling is more flexible in it's caging conditions than Avic slings.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
If you don't have experience with Avics, go for the Chromatopelma, as they're hardy and easier to care for. A lot of people have problems with their first Avics. The average terrestrial sling is more flexible in it's caging conditions than Avic slings.
Beat me to it!! +1 for the above statement.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
+2, agree. The Avics are tricky, with their humidity & cross ventilation requirements, go for the GBB. Mine, Sprite, is a feisty little thing. Threw up a threat display at 1/2" the first time I rehoused her. :)

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
I am actually thinking of getting the GBB and a pink toe as a starter, the local breeder is having a special this weekend so i want to get something nice. I really love the webs the Avic's make and i stay in a very humid part of south africa so Humidity shouldnt be a issue.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
A.versicolor ar awesome, jumping on prey and showing IMO more vibrant colours than a GBB. Cross ventilate a 32 ounce deli container (or go to the drug store and get the largest pill vial they have and cross ventilate it aswell if you versi sling is really small). Good luck!

+1 stop pushing people away from avics because if you set them up right there very hardy!

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Stop pushing people away from avicularia! They aren't hard to keep.
Yeah that was my first non-G. porteri (minus a gbb I had briefly) and first sling in general. They aren't that difficult and people need to know proper care. Don't discourage them or lead them astray from the wonders of Avicularia.

As for the OP's question: if your wallet has enough, definitely get both and be careful with the versicolor, don't over or under water it and make sure cross ventilation is present

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
+1 stop pushing people away from avics because if you set them up right there very hardy!
And that's the problem, 'setting them up right' is crucial, and often difficult for beginners to the hobby. There's been a lot of 'My Dead Avic' threads here. It's best if people get some experience with the easier ones first. Once they can do those, then they'll have a better feel for when they try Avics. It's in the best interests of the spider that they don't wind up in the hands of someone who's going into this with some experience.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 09:26 AM ----------

Stop pushing people away from avicularia! They aren't hard to keep.
Excellent! And lets not forget all the good advice of OBT's for beginners too!

320TONY

Arachnopeon
Gbb and versicolor were some of my first T's I ordered when I started getting more Ts. other than my pet rock rose hair I had for many years. Now I found the internet and hundreds of T's I never realized existed! Anyway my avic lived from a 1/4 inch sling I just read on them cross ventilation not to wet not bone dry room temputures 67 to 80 degrees doin good about 3 inches maybe a little bigger as for the GBB keep it dry misted a enclosure a little more as a sling but started to notice it would be on the dry side of enclosure eats like a beast always hungry unless in premolt webs like crazy! The GBB started out with awesome patterns and colors now has the adult colors and is a male grew what I would call quick its about 4inches after a little over a year. The A.versicolor started an amazing electric blue and now is turning green and purple red is a female webs hammocks is a great eater not as friendly as it gets bigger. Both amazing T'S to watch grow from slings and watch the color transformations hard to pick one cant say i like one that much more than the other get both or buy one then get the other next, two different T's that are awesome in there own ways!

Whaagh

Arachnosquire
The above post makes it more difficult >.< Well i have another two days to decide and will post pics of my choice here :D Thanks for all the assistance guys

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is just my personal experience, but I've found versicolor slings to be a bit tricky to keep. They're the only species I've had multiple fatalities with. All of my other Avics I've never had problems with.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO Almost all t s are easy to keep including avics. Use some peat moss and lightly mist.
Drill or poke some holes in two sides of the container above the substrate and done.
Get what you want.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
IMO Almost all t s are easy to keep including avics. Use some peat moss and lightly mist.
Drill or poke some holes in two sides of the container above the substrate and done.
Get what you want.
That works for you in a dry state. Moist peat will kill Avics for most of us.

That's one reason why Avics aren't good for beginners, as the acceptable cage conditions are narrower than with the average terrestrial, and have to be tweaked for the climate you're in. There's less margin for error with Avics.

Avics are recommended for beginners because most are docile and they don't race as often or as far as the long-legged arboreals. But they're not as flexible on cage conditions as other arboreals. The way I keep my Poecs, Lampros, Cyrios, Psalmos, Stramatos, and Heteros would kill Avics.

Versicolor19

Arachnopeon
Keeping a Versi is easy but do your research and ask a lot of questions. I created a thread a while ago and received a lot of help from members here. Ventilation is the most important thing to consider, once you've got the enclosure nailed, it's all cake from there.

If you're considering one, maybe you can take a look at my thread.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?268114-Getting-a-A.-Versicolor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That works for you in a dry state. Moist peat will kill Avics for most of us.

That's one reason why Avics aren't good for beginners, as the acceptable cage conditions are narrower than with the average terrestrial, and have to be tweaked for the climate you're in. There's less margin for error with Avics.

Avics are recommended for beginners because most are docile and they don't race as often or as far as the long-legged arboreals. But they're not as flexible on cage conditions as other arboreals. The way I keep my Poecs, Lampros, Cyrios, Psalmos, Stramatos, and Heteros would kill Avics.
That may be true, I may only speak from my experiences.