New P.irminia

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I just couldn't resist this one, I just hope it's female as I love the contrasts of black and orange.

Just arrived

New home

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Do you have a water bowl in there?
No, not when they're this small but I spray a little water on the side of the tub and leaves every 2-3 days. They will get a bowl once they are around 1 inch.

This one made my day. As I was transferring it to its new home it ran up the back of my hand, the first time I've held a T and as I'm still terrified of spiders in the house I was amazed at how calm I was. I just gently nudged it back down and it scuttled into the tub. At least I know now that I'm not going to panic and drop one.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
No, not when they're this small but I spray a little water on the side of the tub and leaves every 2-3 days. They will get a bowl once they are around 1 inch.

This one made my day. As I was transferring it to its new home it ran up the back of my hand, the first time I've held a T and as I'm still terrified of spiders in the house I was amazed at how calm I was. I just gently nudged it back down and it scuttled into the tub. At least I know now that I'm not going to panic and drop one.

I give my 1/2" slings water bowls, and they don't drown.

It's a lot different when an adult runs up your arm, and continues onto your back. A LOT different. You just may panic. There was a post this week where someone had that happen with a Heteroscodra, and they got bit on the back.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
[Whistles] You were lucky, Enn. The irminias are very quick. I thought mine was male to begin with, but she has since developed the awesome black & orange colouration of the female. Great choice, and great experience for any pokies you may want to get down the road. :)

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I give my 1/2" slings water bowls, and they don't drown.

It's a lot different when an adult runs up your arm, and continues onto your back. A LOT different. You just may panic. There was a post this week where someone had that happen with a Heteroscodra, and they got bit on the back.
I'll have to see if I can find any small enough then. As for the big ones startling me more, I feel less apprehensive about them than the slings, they are the ones that are more like the spiders we get in the house.

[Whistles] You were lucky, Enn. The irminias are very quick. I thought mine was male to begin with, but she has since developed the awesome black & orange colouration of the female. Great choice, and great experience for any pokies you may want to get down the road. :)
We already have 2 pokies. My son has a 6.5 inch vittata, amazingly calm, and I have a 2 inch metallica, skittish but not threatening.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'll have to see if I can find any small enough then.

As for the big ones startling me more, I feel less apprehensive about them than the slings, they are the ones that are more like the spiders we get in the house.
I use the lids from 16 oz water bottles, as water bowls for my slings. Works great.

Quick as they may be, slings almost never bite. Not a big deal what they do. Adults on the other hand, may nail you with a bite you won't soon forget.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can't go wrong with P. irminia! Reason why I keep two ladies :) Grats and enjoy!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I use the lids from 16 oz water bottles, as water bowls for my slings. Works great.

Quick as they may be, slings almost never bite. Not a big deal what they do. Adults on the other hand, may nail you with a bite you won't soon forget.
We don't use bottled water or rarely any bottled drink. I have some 1 inch bowls but they will almost fill some of their containers and they all seem fine with the water down the side for now.

As for the bites I shall endeavour to avoid them. Luckily our 3 big ones are fairly calm although I watch them very carefully and use long tongs for maintenance.

Can't go wrong with P. irminia! Reason why I keep two ladies :) Grats and enjoy!
Thanks. I'm sure it will be an enjoyable addition.

cold blood

Staff member
Males and females look exactly the same, that male color you see is only after the maturing molt.

Op, you are gonna love feeding them, so very quick on the attack and yank the prey into its curtained web hole.

Also you will be amazed at how fast they grow, those legs get so long after each molt when they are little.

I NEVER drink bottled water, but I still have tons of the lids laying around for dishes. Just tell a few friends or family members to save them for you for a while....someone you know drinks bottled water, I'd bet my life on it. Its neither unpopular or hard to find. Plus, if you have to go buy a single bottle of water for the lid, what's it really setting you back? A little pocket change? Having a lid not only makes things easier, but you won't end up constantly wondering if its drinking enough, or if its too dry...which often leads to too wet, which IMO is worse than too dry.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I NEVER drink bottled water, but I still have tons of the lids laying around for dishes. Just tell a few friends or family members to save them for you for a while....someone you know drinks bottled water, I'd bet my life on it. Its neither unpopular or hard to find. Plus, if you have to go buy a single bottle of water for the lid, what's it really setting you back? A little pocket change?
I started off buying a case of water bottles just for the lids, then decided to use the water for them too. I go thru a lot of lids with my slings, and average a case of water a week with all of my spiders. Constant supply of lids, as I throw them out when they have a bolus or feces in them.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Males and females look exactly the same, that male color you see is only after the maturing molt.

Op, you are gonna love feeding them, so very quick on the attack and yank the prey into its curtained web hole.

Also you will be amazed at how fast they grow, those legs get so long after each molt when they are little.

I NEVER drink bottled water, but I still have tons of the lids laying around for dishes. Just tell a few friends or family members to save them for you for a while....someone you know drinks bottled water, I'd bet my life on it. Its neither unpopular or hard to find. Plus, if you have to go buy a single bottle of water for the lid, what's it really setting you back? A little pocket change? Having a lid not only makes things easier, but you won't end up constantly wondering if its drinking enough, or if its too dry...which often leads to too wet, which IMO is worse than too dry.

At the moment it looks as though it's wearing leg warmers lol.

I shall feed tomorrow when the other little ones are due so I shall look forward to it and it sounds as though I'll be needing a bigger tub soon.

I'll see if my daughter can collect a few lids from her work mates. I was always led to believe that they shouldn't have bowls until they were around 1.5 inches so that's more useful info I've learned on AB. Thanks.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I was always led to believe that they shouldn't have bowls until they were around 1.5 inches so that's more useful info I've learned on AB. Thanks.

1 1/2"? That's a bit paranoid. Mine get waterbowls at 1/3 that size. Spiders can swim. Avic slings especially need a waterbowl, as they have a low tolerance for moist substrate, and many are killed by overmisting.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
1 1/2"? That's a bit paranoid. Mine get waterbowls at 1/3 that size. Spiders can swim. Avic slings especially need a waterbowl, as they have a low tolerance for moist substrate, and many are killed by overmisting.
I don't mist the whole tub just spray a little on a small area of the side of the tub and leaves or webbing leaving the substrate dry but they will get bowls now.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
I've just been watching as it begins its web - between the piece of plant and the lid of the tub :eek:

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've just been watching as it begins its web - between the piece of plant and the lid of the tub :eek:
Not a big deal. My Avics do this all the time. You may destroy a bit of webbing as you open up the lid, but the tarantula can always reweb. Usually they'll take the hint and web elsewhere.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Not a big deal. My Avics do this all the time. You may destroy a bit of webbing as you open up the lid, but the tarantula can always reweb. Usually they'll take the hint and web elsewhere.
I know but I didn't want to risk an escape.

This morning it took me a while to spot the little one, it's found a hole in the cork bark and tried to hide in it, sadly its bum wouldn't quite fit

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
At that size they'll usually start constructing a dirt curtain after a few days in the enclosure. Most times behind whatever shelter is in there, in your case the corkbark piece. Once that's done, you won't see it that often anymore, except for nighttimes. I've not seen any Psalm web on the top ever so far. Chances are extremely slim that you'll have to destroy any webbing by opening the enclosure. You have bigger chances of spooking the little one and seing it convert to a Fomula 1 racer suddenly...or a threatposture for good measure :D

Enn49

Arachnosquire
At that size they'll usually start constructing a dirt curtain after a few days in the enclosure. Most times behind whatever shelter is in there, in your case the corkbark piece. Once that's done, you won't see it that often anymore, except for nighttimes. I've not seen any Psalm web on the top ever so far. Chances are extremely slim that you'll have to destroy any webbing by opening the enclosure. You have bigger chances of spooking the little one and seing it convert to a Fomula 1 racer suddenly...or a threatposture for good measure :D
That's good to know, I hate the thought of destroying all its hard work. Hopefully it will make its home against the side of the tub so I get chance to see through it. Maybe I should have given it a name more connected to F1 but I've called it Falcon.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
my 5" female just built her dirt curtain after rehouse, impressive webbing.