L Quinquestriatus enclosures

Maximoshtenberg

Arachnopeon
Hey people, I just got a new female L. Quinquestriatus and managed to get a decent deal on getting a tank with her as well. However, I'm not a big fan of how the enclosure was set up, so I'm planning on doing some renovations. Probably going to replace the sand/coco fiber/sphagnum moss mix substrate with all sand for starts. If you have one of these guys, I'd love to see your enclosure to get some ideas.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ew, yes pure sand. 1-2" tops of pure sand. TOPS.Multiple hides. Hot end. Decorations if you want. They dont need much

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lq will dig scrapes under stones and short tunnel systems if the substrate allows it...putting stones on loose sand doesn't really give them the leverage or stability they need to dig a good retreat (it usually ends up just looking a bit of a mess really) because the sand is loose. Whats needed is a substrate that'll be firm enough to allow digging without collapsing......You just have to be careful about not making the substrate to stiff...Read up on excavator sand/consolidated sand/ clay sand although they're all basically the same thing insomuch that it's sand with clay/betonite or some other hardening agent mixed with it that when dampened and allowed to dry becomes firm allowing scorps to dig stable tunnels and scrapes (more often than not they dig a scrape under a stone and then tunnel down from that) ....Some people live near places where they can find a natural sand/clay medium they can use.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Stable substrate will enable nicer looking burrows.

However deathstalkers have evolved similarly to smeringurus, and do not actually require stable sand.

Just give them a flat thin slab to hide under, and they're happy.

And be careful!

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You don't require a bed and could easily make do with a wooden board.
Lq's are often found in up to 20 cm long tunnels in areas where the substrate allows them to do this although they are also found in cracks and crevices and under flat stones.
Just giving the advice "plain sand" is a lazy half answer because lq's habitats are much more varied than that......lay a flat stone on consolidated sand and i guarantee lq will dig a short tunnel under the stone..They wouldn't do this if it was alien to them.
Lq's occupy desert AND scrubland habitats...They are not a dedicated desert specie.