New to centipedes, enclosure question

DrakeLineous

Arachnopeon
So I'm new to keeping centipedes, seeing as there isn't that much info on them I figured I'd join here. Last week I got a nice pair of Haitian S. alternans that are a little over an inch long. One of them is doing great, eaten twice and comes out of hiding, while the other hasn't eaten and stays buried all the time. I know alternans are more prone to keeping hidden but I see a lot of other people's in the open a lot. So I'm just wondering if I have everything setup correctly, the deli cup has the troublemaker and the jar has the easy going one. They have about an inch off Eco earth in them, is that too much? When I see others enclosures there doesn't seem to be that much substrate. Also, how often should they be fed? Right now I'm giving one appropriately sized cricket every other day

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
That's fine for that size centipede. These do well in moist substrate. I've kept a couple adults in a few inches for years. You can feed them less if you desire. The only thing of concern I see in your photos is that the ventilation holes look just about right for an escape ;)

DrakeLineous

Arachnopeon
Cool, I actually moved the problem guy into an even smaller delicup to make sure he actually finds the cricket. Hopefully he eats it by tomorrow. I actually plugged those holes with silicone, kept a mantis in it before but now they're closed off and that one ate again so I'm happy. How wet would you say it needs to be? I spray down a part of the substrate every so often to make sure they have a moist side.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
not swampy and not so that you can you can squeeze and water can come out but simply moist to to the touch is usual way to go.

Gel

Arachnoknight
Be careful with the deli cup once they are big enough to reach the top while having a foothold on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if with enough prodding it manages to pop the top off.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So I'm new to keeping centipedes, seeing as there isn't that much info on them I figured I'd join here. Last week I got a nice pair of Haitian S. alternans that are a little over an inch long. One of them is doing great, eaten twice and comes out of hiding, while the other hasn't eaten and stays buried all the time. I know alternans are more prone to keeping hidden but I see a lot of other people's in the open a lot. So I'm just wondering if I have everything setup correctly, the deli cup has the troublemaker and the jar has the easy going one. They have about an inch off Eco earth in them, is that too much? When I see others enclosures there doesn't seem to be that much substrate. Also, how often should they be fed? Right now I'm giving one appropriately sized cricket every other day
Are they eating that much? I have four of them and when ever I put a cricket in with them I always find them dead a few days later (the crickets) but the baby dubias seem to disappear like candy. Still I only feed them about 1 per week or maybe every 5 days. I might have to step up the frequency