Difficulty transferring tarantula?

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I have a C.fasciatum who really needs to be rehoused. Only problem is he is insanely fast and I'm not sure how to go about this. With my adults I just put them a catch cup, but every time I've tried with him he whizzes all over the place.
Admittedly, I'm a bit scared of him just because of his speed. He's fine with me doing normal maintenance but when it comes to anything involving him he flips out.
Soooo, how do I move him from A to B without losing him?

If I sound like an idiot, it's because I am

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Doesn't mean you're an idiot. I've had tarantulas for over 40 years and there's some I still don't look forward to transferring cages with. There are different methods, and whatever you use, the key is to be slow, gentle, and deliberate. That goes a lot way towards keeping them calm. If you nervous and movements are jerky, you're just going to make it worse. If a T does happen to get wound up, call if off until a better time.

For those that you dread transferring most, do it on a cool morning, when they're winding down. You can also wait until they're pre or post molt and slower.

Beltane

Arachnopeon
I always change mine over in the bathtub....and I close the door, cover the floor vents, and plug the tub drain. I'm not sure if that helps you at all.....

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I use a large container in a well-lit area and slowly remove the substrate from the current container. I have tongs, brush and catch cup handy. Also perform in the morning with cool temps. Usually the little bugger is hanging onto some substrate for dear life and I smoothly place it into the new container. Has worked well for me many times.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey there, I have a C.fasciatum who really needs to be rehoused. Only problem is he is insanely fast and I'm not sure how to go about this. With my adults I just put them a catch cup, but every time I've tried with him he whizzes all over the place.
Admittedly, I'm a bit scared of him just because of his speed. He's fine with me doing normal maintenance but when it comes to anything involving him he flips out.

If you have a large room then clear 2 meter of the floor and coax it out. be ready with a catch cup, he will maybe run, but he will stop shortly for a breath, at that time put the cup over him....You win!
This is how i do if i have an especcially "interesting" T to move....

14pokies

Arachnoprince

google the tarantula bagging technique.theres also tutorials on youtube. U might b able to find it on here not realy sure ive never tried it. I prefer a more hands on aproach even with the most spastic of ts! Lol.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I put a big terrestrial enclosure in the bath, close up as many nooks and crannies as possible. Then I use a catch cup. I try to get the first part of the cup against the enclosure in the direction the T is facing(so basically by its "head". I then move the rest of the catch cup over her. I then move the catch cup upside along the enclosure with the lid on the other side of the enclosure. Careful movements are needed here.

If you are rehousing your T and you can try and get any decorations/feeding/water bowels out of the old enclosure so that they are not in the way.

Also avoiding doing rehousing at night when they tend to be most active.

At the end of the day its what works best for you and makes rehousing safe and easy. I have a few Ts that I would never give the opportunity to run around on a open floor because once they out it is a huge mission to get them back in and often requires some secret covert super ninja missions just to get them back into anything that resembles an enclosure.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
OBT is a way more of a pain to rehouse it wants to eat your catch cup.

Catch cup is best way IMO.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do the transfer in an area with lots of open space and not clutter around. A few towels work well as "hiding spots" in case the tarantula takes off (since it's a terrestrial). Catchcup ready, gently prod into it, open new enclosure and gently prod the T out of the catchcup into the new one. If that's too hard and there's enough space, you can also open the catchup and place it into the new enclosure with the T still in - overnight, the little one will find its way out.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I generally do the bathtub method as it's easy to keep track of the spider in there. The interesting thing about spiders is that they have a passive system that oxygenates their blood, so really they do get tired and have to stop for a bit to catch their "breath" an opportune time to catch them. The afternoon or middle of the day is when I do transfers as it's when I'm the most awake and the spider is more wound down. I've had a few try to take off on me but I usually just place a cup in their way and they eventually submit. I've had several just cling to webbing or the cork for dear life as I've moved them which made it pretty easy. I've also have several slap and bite at me but I stay calm and persistent and they eventually go where I want them too. OF course there are a few where they are flying all over the place so I then wait for another time to deal with them. Premolt is usually when I decide to deal with my pokies as they are *slightly* more cooperative and can'y teleport as much, I've never had any issues and many molt the same day I transfer them.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I don't like the bathtub method, as any soap or lotion residue will get on the spider's feet, and those go in it's mouth every time it grooms itself (after eating and drinking).

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Additionally, it's sometimes helpful to have someone else (who won't freak out) with you to man the catch cup in case your hands are full with tweezers, prods, etc.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Additionally, it's sometimes helpful to have someone else (who won't freak out) with you to man the catch cup in case your hands are full with tweezers, prods, etc.
I find it easier to let them run as opposed to having an additional factor/person to deal with.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Many brilliant methods already said by the other posters +1

I just use catch cups or tubs to entice them in then put the lid on, sounds easy cause it is, although I've had many T's that just won't play ball lol,, in that case i leave it till early/cold mornings as they are a bit slower to respond..In all cases of rehousing T's is to stay calm and make sure you have all the tools that you'll need for the transfer(s).

DVMT

Arachnosquire
I use Medusa's method if they are wrapped in dirt curtains, but for any other transfers I clear out a large floor space, get a catch cup and a paintbrush, and place both enclosures right up against each other. Then I use the paintbrush top coax the T up one wall and right down the other into its new enclosure. I've done this with fast species with no problems.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I use Medusa's method if they are wrapped in dirt curtains, but for any other transfers I clear out a large floor space, get a catch cup and a paintbrush, and place both enclosures right up against each other. Then I use the paintbrush top coax the T up one wall and right down the other into its new enclosure. I've done this with fast species with no problems.
I gotta trap it in catch cup , Urticating hairs are devastating to me goal is to not get hit.

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Two things I recommend for moving really fast Ts
1. Do it in the bathroom - close the door, plug the bathtub or shower drain and block any vents. Now if they get out they arent lose in your bedroom or somewhere else where there are lots of hiding places.
2. Ts/spiders typically run and then want to hide. I give mine the option of a nice place to hide right away and usually they will book it right for that nice dark spot. Put hiding spots in the new enclosure, use a paint brush to gently nudge them with the opening of the old enclosure as close to the opening of the new one as possible. This is how I have rehoused Huntman spiderlings....and let me tell you, they are FAST beyond belief!

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not fond of the tub method either. I prefer the bag method or just using a catch cup.