G porteri Babies on the way?????

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Got this off craigslist. A 12x12x12 Exo-Terra enclosure, substrate, waterdish, humidity and temp gauges and half log hide. Along with it was what looks like a very gravid G porteri. His GF bought it all for him from a pet shop 2 months ago, so it's probably a recent WC and sure looks ready to pop. He said he only fed her 2 crickets a week. Oh, paid $40and that thing up in the corner, thats the new owner, Miss OBT

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Great find! Your little OBT is adorable and your porteri is beautiful. I'm not experienced enough to posite an opinion on whether she's gravid or not, but here's to wishing you good luck! I'm a firm believer in getting as many captive bred specimens in the hobby as possible so we can stop harvesting wild spiders in ANY and all species. ;)

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Looks like a fat rosie to me I don't think it necessarily means she's gravid.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Looks like a fat rosie to me I don't think it necessarily means she's gravid.
agreed and with 2 cricks a week for 2 months.. that can fatten her up nicely too.. i say this,or well claim i know this :), because when i got my G.rosea i found her a little skinny for my taste. so to fix that she ate 3 sometimes 4 male dubias a week for maybe a month. and whent from a WC shrunk abd. to a pretty plump gal [i overdid it] within that 4.5 weeks.. shes now back on a 10day diet on med-large nymphs.and is nice and normal XD..

so i say its a waiting game

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
agreed and with 2 cricks a week for 2 months.. that can fatten her up nicely too.. i say this,or well claim i know this :), because when i got my G.rosea i found her a little skinny for my taste. so to fix that she ate 3 sometimes 4 male dubias a week for maybe a month. and whent from a WC shrunk abd. to a pretty plump gal [i overdid it] within that 4.5 weeks.. shes now back on a 10day diet on med-large nymphs.and is nice and normal XD..

so i say its a waiting game
The guy said she was that big when he got her, so I'm making up a bunch of little diapers.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 09:46 PM ----------

Great find! Your little OBT is adorable and your porteri is beautiful. I'm not experienced enough to posite an opinion on whether she's gravid or not, but here's to wishing you good luck! I'm a firm believer in getting as many captive bred specimens in the hobby as possible so we can stop harvesting wild spiders in ANY and all species. ;)
Yeah, the little creep went right up in the corner and webbed up the temp gauge. There was a plastic plant in there to I took it out for picture. Maybe to many things???

cold blood

Staff member
The guy said she was that big when he got her, so I'm making up a bunch of little diapers.

---------- Post added 10-29-2014 at 09:46 PM ----------

Yeah, the little creep went right up in the corner and webbed up the temp gauge. There was a plastic plant in there to I took it out for picture. Maybe to many things???
Those gauges are useless...And as Stan would say...the t can't even read them...lol.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Those gauges are useless...And as Stan would say...the t can't even read them...lol.
lolol!

but good point missed that.. these are just a guestimate imho. i tested these when i got into herps.. i bought 7 sets put them under the same light[on a tstat with probe], at the same time. bought 3 didgital and 3 different thermal temp "guns" the guns all read the same. the digi's where within 3 or 4 degrees of one another. but the dials WHEW one read 65, to where another said 123 [obviously broken lmao] and no two read the same. also the humidity ones get water behind them and read so far off. id only trust a digi or a gun. as they hit the probes temp on the nose[one within 1 degree off]only reason iv ever kept those in a cage after that. was to hold up a plant and to hold rod for a green tree python because i ddint want to glue it in for a 3oz snake LOL :) ig i found a new use for them... anchor points XD

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Even if she IS gravid, you could be in for a very long wait, whether she looks "ready to pop" or not. They have a fairly long "gestation" period, like I've heard of females taking 12 months or longer to lay (here's a mention of 2 years). One of my females was paired earlier this year (March I think or possibly earlier) and also looks ready to lay at any moment, but she also has for quite a while and still, we wait.
But the other posters have a point though and it should be taken into account. Fat and gravid looking, but not gravid, G.porteri/rosea aren't exactly uncommon. People like to overfeed them, especially when you consider their molt cycle can run 4 years as adults, so they're accumulating and dragging that weight around for a longer span of time than your average yearly cycle female. As they say, don't count your chickens before they molt...or something like that.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Even if she IS gravid, you could be in for a very long wait, whether she looks "ready to pop" or not. They have a fairly long "gestation" period, like I've heard of females taking 12 months or longer to lay (here's a mention of 2 years). One of my females was paired earlier this year (March I think or possibly earlier) and also looks ready to lay at any moment, but she also has for quite a while and still, we wait.
But the other posters have a point though and it should be taken into account. Fat and gravid looking, but not gravid, G.porteri/rosea aren't exactly uncommon. People like to overfeed them, especially when you consider their molt cycle can run 4 years as adults, so they're accumulating and dragging that weight around for a longer span of time than your average yearly cycle female. As they say, don't count your chickens before they molt...or something like that.
I kind of hope shes not. I'll be breeding my pair of L sp. Borneo Blacks this weekend and my N chromatus in a couple months, so I'll be busy.