New scorpion keeper

DrakeLineous

Arachnopeon
My recent interests in inverts made me get all sorts of things recently starting with a mantid a few months back, centipedes last week and yesterday a P. imperator. I would've gone for a less common species but since I didn't want to deal with shipping and waiting I just got the emperor from a nearby petstore. I've read the basic care guide on here and all the other info I found on the web. What I'm wondering is do they have a set number of molts before becoming an adult? Like with mantids each species and sex has a specific amount before reaching the final stage. Also, how long would the interval between molts be? Right now he's about 2" or so when measuring just the carapace and I don't know how old he is. You guys might probably be tired of noobs asking about them (I know I sometimes feel that way when it comes to some new reptiles keepers) but I felt it worth asking anyway. Cheers,

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the carapace is 2 inches long the scorp is adult and then some...A 2 inch carapace!...are you sure you're not mistaken and calling the whole body the carapace? The carapace is just the head plate or prosoma and as far as i can remember, emps are not that big. 2 inches would be 5 centimeters....hm, you know...it's been years since i saw one that i don't know...maybe a large female could have a 5 centimeter prosoma.
Both sexes reach maturity at instar 7. That means they'll have to moult 6 times from birth. I think occasionally some individuals will go to instar 8......Basically they'll reach maturity roughly between 1½-2 years after birth and i've heard they can live for up to 15 years if looked after....adult size is usually around the 15 centimeter mark but some individuals can reach 25 centimeters (measured from front of carapace/prosoma to tip of outstretched metasoma/tail (head, body, tail = prosoma, mesasoma, metasoma)....Females are usually the larger.