Newbius questionalis

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I have a G. pulchripes sling in a 4oz plastic cup.
For a hide there is a small plastic lid halfway buried.
Instead of misting I prefer to use a syringe to provide water droplets.
I do so by putting little drops on top of the hide ( I have two slings and this has worked well for both)
Recently my pulchripes has been moving a lot of substrate around, not really digging or building anything, just moving things. I have witnessed this quite a bit in the last week.
More importantly he has been putting larger pieces on top of his hide, so I move them off to water.
So my question is: By moving the sub pieces so often from a spot he apparently wants them in, could I be causing too much stress? I'm only finally posting this because he has replaced the pieces over and over.
Thanks for any advice

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
my small slings get water either on their web/web mats or on the side of the enclosure. i used to use the sub but now i prefer the side myself, as i feel i know they got to drink it and it wasnt burried :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have a G. pulchripes sling in a 4oz plastic cup.
For a hide there is a small plastic lid halfway buried.
Instead of misting I prefer to use a syringe to provide water droplets.
I do so by putting little drops on top of the hide ( I have two slings and this has worked well for both)
Recently my pulchripes has been moving a lot of substrate around, not really digging or building anything, just moving things. I have witnessed this quite a bit in the last week.
More importantly he has been putting larger pieces on top of his hide, so I move them off to water.
So my question is: By moving the sub pieces so often from a spot he apparently wants them in, could I be causing too much stress? I'm only finally posting this because he has replaced the pieces over and over.
Thanks for any advice
ive kept g.rosea/porteri and g pulchripes. Both would fill there water dish with substrate and web within two or three days of me changeing it out. It obviouly bothered them but i pushed on lol. Pulchripes was the worst they would literaly mound an inch or two of substrate over it. I started to only half fill it so that the substrate wouldnt get over saturated. If the t is eating and apears healthy and acts normal in every other way than your probably fine. I do however only mist my slings on the side tho its just personal preference.good luck

cold blood

Staff member
. ive kept g.rosea/porteri and g pulchripes. Both would fill there water dish with substrate and web within two or three days of me changeing it out. It obviouly bothered them but i pushed on lol. Pulchripes was the worst they would literaly mound an inch or two of substrate over it. I started to only half fill it so that the substrate wouldnt get over saturated. If the t is eating and apears healthy and acts normal in every other way than your probably fine. I do however only mist my slings on the side tho its just personal preference.good luck
+1 G. pulchripes are serious construction workers. You just need to be diligent and clean and fill the water dish when it gets filled or flipped. How small is the sling?

If you are choosing not to use a dish, I suggest moving the "wet spot" occasionally. Constant wetting of the same place can eventually encourage mold.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
I place a couple droplets on top of their plastic hides about every day or two.
I also wet the substrate in random spots with drops of water once a week or so.
I would do this more often, but I regularly see my babies drinking the water drops on their hides.
But thanks for the quick responses, I'll monitor the pulchripes for abnormal behavior and continue in my methods.
My little golden knee is quite the bulldozer as well, so much fun to watch. Dare I say, cute?
At this size (1") haha

EDIT: grammatical correction

cold blood

Staff member
1" is PLENTY large enough for a water dish. Use a cap from a water bottle, there's no reason for there not to be water available at all times, its way easier than trying to predict and maintain the right levels for drinking....why make things more difficult than they need be?

awiec

Arachnoprince
1" is PLENTY large enough for a water dish. Use a cap from a water bottle, there's no reason for there not to be water available at all times, its way easier than trying to predict and maintain the right levels for drinking....why make things more difficult than they need be?
I know I watch my G.pulchripes pick up its cap and throw it across the cage, so I know what it thinks of my love and care, but I still refill the dish anyway. It rearranges its cage almost as much as my P.muticus does so some earth moving is pretty pretty normal.