Avics

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Hello. Id like to ask a very fundamental question - whats the final conclusion about avicularia humidity/temps/ventilation? Is it better to keep the sub dry with a bottlecap/a little moist spot on the substrate, or is it better to keep the sub moist? Temps? Ive heard many diff opinions about this and id like to hear you guys out.

assidreemz

Arachnosquire
From my reading over the past 6 months there seems to be a consensus to keep sub only partially moist plus a water dish and regular misting.

I've gathered that avic slings require more moisture.

I think the key is proper ventilation.

Just my $0.02

tisha

Arachnopeon
I don't have a lot of avics but I keep them on dry sub with a water dish. I don't mist, but I use a syringe to add water to the webbing and fill the dish, I sometimes wet the substrate a little. Also lots of ventilation on the side of the enclosure.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I do have a lot of Avics. They need dry, not moist, substrate, and cross ventilation (airholes are best in the sides, not the top to you don't lose the microclimate). A water bowl provides the humidity. I only mist the slings, and do that once a week or so, and very lightly; it should be on their silk for drinking, and not in the rest of the cage. The biggest killers of Avics are over misting and insufficient ventilation. Things get moist from too much misting, then there's condensation, and the spider dies. You don't need hundreds of airholes, but you need more than you'd give other arboreals.

My biggest adult Avic cages are 12" tall, and more or less square shaped. You don't need them any taller than that. Avics are more sedentary than other arboreals, and may not always venture out to find food and water. An overly tall cage works against you.