Just molt already!!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
so my genic is still in premolt and has been for a little bit now. it seems like its getting closer and closer. but still has yet to molt:/ so I was wondering and hoping that there may possibly be a way to "speed" the process up a little bit. im not saying i want to speed it up to where it molts like 10 mins later. im just wondering if there is anything you can possibly do to make the molt happen a bit faster than usual? also, if i post a pic is there anyway you guys would know how much longer it would probably be or does that just vary depending on the T?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
It depends on the T. No way to speed up between molts besides nice and warm and maybe a dark place if shes shy (food for when its not molting ofcourse) no way knowing.. my genics doing same thing this is like her 5th molt with me(id hafya look idr off top of head) and it takes too dang long... shes jet black, shiny and slow.. but wont molt and shockingly wouldnt eat a week ago (shes ate and molted a day later many times) all you can do is wait xp

Last edited:

RussoTuristo

Arachnopeon
Powerfeeding and high temperature speed things up... but probably not when it's already in premolt. And besides, I can't recommend powerfeeding in any circumstances.

Just leave the T alone and it'll molt when it's ready.

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
Just leave the T alone and it'll molt when it's ready.
But that's soo haaaard!!
Of course, that's because I have a Euathlus sp. "Red", notorius slow growers.
Molted 30 days after I got it. Then again 54 days later, then 47 days, then 37 days.... that was back in May. She's been underground since then (157 days and counting) and hasn't eaten since mid-August. I can see her, and she hasn't darkened even a little bit in that time. :)

I know those feels, ArachnoFreak666, I know those feels.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
so my genic is still in premolt and has been for a little bit now. it seems like its getting closer and closer. but still has yet to molt:/ so I was wondering and hoping that there may possibly be a way to "speed" the process up a little bit. im not saying i want to speed it up to where it molts like 10 mins later. im just wondering if there is anything you can possibly do to make the molt happen a bit faster than usual? also, if i post a pic is there anyway you guys would know how much longer it would probably be or does that just vary depending on the T?
I don't power-feed my Ts, but keep water dish nice and full so your spider isn't dehydrated for molt.

How large is your T??? if its large.... it could take a few months.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Dude I've been screaming this at 3 of my Ts today...

I had a TON of molts this week. 2 OBTs molted. 2 B. albopilosums. P. regalis molted last week. A little B. albopilosum that had burrowed for like 2 months finally molted 2 weeks ago. H. maculata molted a few days ago.

So that's 7 molts in 3 weeks right?

Well... I have FOUR MORE IN PRE MOLT! My biggest aggravation is a B. albopilosum. It's sac mate just molted a few days ago. They're my 2 biggest B. albopilosums and probably my biggest slings besides the regalis which grow like weeds. Last time these two B. albopilosums molted within hours of each other. And this time they entered pre molt at the same time. But one molted.... And this one is just sitting waiting to burst. It looks like a fat tick. I wake up... Check on it... And scream MOLT!!!

Then there's my other P. regalis. It's one of two and is going to have it's 2nd molt in my care.

Now today I noticed my smaller H. maculata sling hasn't been eating for a few days. So here begins a pre molt. It'll be the 1st molt in my care it's had.

And finally. My 3.5" A. avic (probably bigger but I'm being safe) has been fasting for a while, and it's abdomen is bald patched and BLACK. I'm excited. Avic was my 2nd tarantula and would be the 3rd "adult sized" tarantula to molt in my care.

Now to see if the 4" OBT is eating or not....

Everybody's getting their winter coats ready. ;)

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
But that's soo haaaard!!
Of course, that's because I have a Euathlus sp. "Red", notorius slow growers.
Molted 30 days after I got it. Then again 54 days later, then 47 days, then 37 days.... that was back in May. She's been underground since then (157 days and counting) and hasn't eaten since mid-August. I can see her, and she hasn't darkened even a little bit in that time. :)

I know those feels, ArachnoFreak666, I know those feels.
yeah it sucks!! I just want to sex my genic soo bad and its just taking its sweet time!:/

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 07:23 AM ----------

I don't power-feed my Ts, but keep water dish nice and full so your spider isn't dehydrated for molt.

How large is your T??? if its large.... it could take a few months.
if I had to estimate how big it was in my head (which may not be too accurate) then id have to say its probably about 3". but then again I could be wrong.

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 07:25 AM ----------

Dude I've been screaming this at 3 of my Ts today...

I had a TON of molts this week. 2 OBTs molted. 2 B. albopilosums. P. regalis molted last week. A little B. albopilosum that had burrowed for like 2 months finally molted 2 weeks ago. H. maculata molted a few days ago.

So that's 7 molts in 3 weeks right?

Well... I have FOUR MORE IN PRE MOLT! My biggest aggravation is a B. albopilosum. It's sac mate just molted a few days ago. They're my 2 biggest B. albopilosums and probably my biggest slings besides the regalis which grow like weeds. Last time these two B. albopilosums molted within hours of each other. And this time they entered pre molt at the same time. But one molted.... And this one is just sitting waiting to burst. It looks like a fat tick. I wake up... Check on it... And scream MOLT!!!

Then there's my other P. regalis. It's one of two and is going to have it's 2nd molt in my care.

Now today I noticed my smaller H. maculata sling hasn't been eating for a few days. So here begins a pre molt. It'll be the 1st molt in my care it's had.

And finally. My 3.5" A. avic (probably bigger but I'm being safe) has been fasting for a while, and it's abdomen is bald patched and BLACK. I'm excited. Avic was my 2nd tarantula and would be the 3rd "adult sized" tarantula to molt in my care.

Now to see if the 4" OBT is eating or not....

Everybody's getting their winter coats ready. ;)
man all my Ts seem to be in pre molt right now except for my GBB and none have molted in my care. it sucks because they are all unsexed and that's the one thing I want to find out!

Lucy Lambaste

Arachnopeon
I was just feeling that way. If nothing else, this hobby teaches patience! My A. Avic FINALLY molted last weekend. She built her tube web and has been refusing food since mid-August. Now I have to wait for her to emerge from her beautiful tube to see her new clothes. Just in time for Halloween, I guess. She is my most mature tarantula, and my first. I found getting slings over the past couple months helped to distract me :)

See Gobey's signature. Baby spiders ARE the answer!

ArachnoFreak666

Arachnopeon
I was just feeling that way. If nothing else, this hobby teaches patience! My A. Avic FINALLY molted last weekend. She built her tube web and has been refusing food since mid-August. Now I have to wait for her to emerge from her beautiful tube to see her new clothes. Just in time for Halloween, I guess. She is my most mature tarantula, and my first. I found getting slings over the past couple months helped to distract me :)

See Gobey's signature. Baby spiders ARE the answer!
my A. avic is in premolt right now, atleast I think she is. shes been refusing her food and has built this weird web shield over herself. its no necessarily a tube, its like a flat blanket of silk laying over her that she just sits under all day

Lucy Lambaste

Arachnopeon
my A. avic is in premolt right now, atleast I think she is. shes been refusing her food and has built this weird web shield over herself. its no necessarily a tube, its like a flat blanket of silk laying over her that she just sits under all day
Not sure how long yours has been in pre-molt, but give her some time. Mine started with small webbings here and there, and then one day I came home to a beautiful tube! I thought, "Oh! Cool!". Then she sat there as a pet web for 2.5 months, just reinforcing the tube from the inside. Elaborate webbing is definitely a sign for pre-molt. Others have posted that when they destroyed a web to get a molt out to sex it, the T didn't rebuild it until the next molt. If this is your fist molt with an aboreal, she will molt inside the tube :( Nothing to see here until the big reveal! That's why BABY SPIDERS!

gobey

Arachnoknight
Baby spiders FTW

Seriously I can't handle any more baby spiders.... I'm already expecting a bunch from a breeding project and I'm tussling with if I should responsibly keep 2... or irresponsibly keep 4.

Anyway my A. avic stopped eating maybe 2 weeks ago.

I haven't a clue how long this will take. It's maybe my 2nd most mature T. The L. parahybanas are bigger but in their life stages they are younger. And my room is going between like 63-78 degrees with the cold fronts and Indian summers. So who knows when this little guy will actually molt. But I know this has to be pre molt. It's a much darker color. The abdomen looks straight black. And the Avic usually slams 2-3 crickets a week.

MOLT DAMN YOU!!!