is my scorpion pre molt

daviz1991

Arachnopeon
Hi just wondering if my scorpion looks asif its going to molt as its really sluggish and hardly moves even when I go in the tank

Attachments

daviz1991

Arachnopeon
How long are they usally like it its been like it about a week and the breeder I got it from said its a male

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's pre-molt. The chela are positioned in molt position, so it's any day now.

titanT

Arachnosquire
Hi daviz, dont wory about it, scorpions can slow down there metabolism and can go for almost a year without eating if they have to, ive been waiting for my heterometerus swammidami - instar 2 to molt for 2-3 months and he/she has looked swollen like yours the entire time, but this species is legendary for the amount of time they take to molt and mature to adulthood, as long as 4 years, rather than a year for most scorpions, just make sure it always has water and it will be fine, or increase the temp to speed up the process

daviz1991

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks its justhe dosent seem to move much and even when I go in the tank he doesn't bother and all my others are really feisty soon as I open there lid they come out and go nuts and also I noticed that one his chelicerae are poking out

titanT

Arachnosquire
The fact that its temperment is slugish and barely moving is a good sign that its ready to molt, but im not sure what you mean about his chelicerae poking out, unless its in the process of molting now, but if its shell is cracked thats bad! And i would make a new thead to see if anyone knows who has more experience. Good luck

daviz1991

Arachnopeon
Ok thanks its justhe dosent seem to move much and even when I go in the tank he doesn't bother and all my others are really feisty soon as I open there lid they come out and go nuts and also I noticed that one his chelicerae are poking out

titanT

Arachnosquire
Can you get a better pic, i would like to see what you mean about the chelicerae poking out?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep in mind what Patcho said, you can get used to noticing a position of the chela that is common just prior to molting and that is it in your first pic. If you see it in that position more often, it's a sign it's close to molting.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Make sure the temp is good and you don't disturb it. I lost a P. imperator recently due to complications during a molt.