Ctenizidae (Trapdoor Spider) Care

Jaeger

Arachnopeon
Greetings, everyone. I am new to the forums so this is like a general introduction thread, as well. I have recently started getting a strong interest in keeping a spider or two, specifically a trapdoor spider. I've never kept a pet of this nature (my experience is mostly in small mammals, and reptiles, including water monitor lizards).

I have a general idea on care (weekly feeding?), and a container like this, filled with Coconut Fiber Substrate, and leaves and what not on the surface. I'm learning that males die after a few years, while females can live several decades in some cases? And that there are docile species of trapdoor, and others can be quite temperamental.

Any and all help is more than welcomed. Care sheets and guides, personal experiences and general information, trusted sellers and images, too.

Thanks for the time.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
I've kept a few species for a few years. They are both very boring and very exciting, depending on who you are, but here are my main words of advice:

1. Pick a species, learn about it. Many prefer a substrate that holds moisture and form, some prefer slope, some build in bare areas, etc.
2. No cocofiber - research a clay based substrate or find a place without pesticide you can harvest a clay loamy soil. Use cocofiber to mix maybe, but not as base.
3. add some leaf litter, slope, etc. whatever is fitting. I found a population of native trapdoors here and took one - I took some substrate, mimicked slope, added leaf litter (these were in pine needles), and learned that this species seems to position it's lid so that it grabs things going uphill as they pass over the lid (or so that seemed with the 8-10 I've found in the wild)
4. Make a nice home - you'll enjoy it more. Maybe even add a light. Soils from outside and clay can grow nice mosses, lichens, liverworts. Rehoming them isn't fun, and they don't enjoy it. Might be best to start off big.
5. Getting smaller ones or slings is great because you can watch them grow, change, change their lid, and they feed more as young. Requires very small food, but it's worth it.

People here say they are boring pet holes, but how can you expect a spider to do it's spidery things if it's not got a proper home similar to it's environment? Mimic where it is found and you'll enjoy trapdoors a lot.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
It really depends on the genus/species..

Aptostichus-- Prefers fine sandy sediment, but a few are found in oak woodlands, very difficult to find in the wild, despite being common. Even moreso difficult to find them for sale. However, they're the easiest of all the trapdoors to care for, and seem to be the most active, especially if given warmth.

Bothriocyrtum-- One of the true clay-lovers, these seem to prefer west-facing slopes, easily stressed. probably the one species that really defines 'pet-hole'. They're known to fast for over a year in captivity.

Aliatypus-- Riparian species, often found along riverbanks.. Care is similar to Cyclocosmia, they prefer moister areas. Aptostichus can often be found inches away.

Apomastus-- A trapdoor species that doesnt build a door, coco-fiber is fine.

Ummidia-- care is identical to Bothriocyrtum.

Note: these are all californian species (excluding ummidia). I dont know much about the african species.. Except they seem to be identical in care to bothriocyrtum.