How Old?

twosheds

Arachnopeon
Well unfortunately my long time scorpion past away yesterday. He was a large male Emperor, which I had for 5 years almost to the day.

I have been trying to figure out approximately how old he was when he died. From what I can research online, it seems that to reach adulthood (final molt) takes about 4yrs, if that is true. He was an adult when I got him, and never molted for me. So if he was at least 4 when I got him, and spent 5 years with me, obviously that would make him at least 9+yrs old. Does that sound reasonable?

Anyway, RIP little guy, you had a good run!

Chris

IMG_20141013_100732.jpg

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Under optimal captive conditions they can be adult in under 2 years! Was he wild caught or CB/CR?

Either way 5 years is a good run for any scorpion!! Always sad to see our stingy friends depart though! sorry for your loss

twosheds

Arachnopeon
You know, I'm not sure if he was captive bred or wild caught. I got him from a local pet store, my hunch would be wild caught, but I have no way of knowing.

Thanks,
Chris

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Same as what George said, I kept a brood and some mature fast, 2 years. But some from the same brood matured in 4 years with same care/conditions. Probably a genetic thing, nothing new there, to stagger generations and having to wonder to find another live scorpion to mix up the genes a little.