N chromatus have mental problems ??

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Of all the 4 mating pairs I got (posted couple days ago) the N chromatus acts so unlike all the others. My OBTs Avics, Rosea/porteris,GBBs Suntigers, everyone acts almost the same. Sits there, move the box, still sits there. I can open to feed and most of them will walk slow or not move at all till I drop a cricket. Both the M and F N chromatus freak out when I bump or move their container. The female will come up on her toes and move around, quick. The male goes crazy. At the slightest sound or movement he runs all over the place at super speed. I don't want to be stressing him out. Is this normal for them?? And they both are eating fine.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have like 4 or so N chromatus they all act super skittish, and run like crazy.
Guess its how they normally act, mine are super hungry and rarely refuse food.

My small LP's do the same thing if they are scared.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's individual variations, plus some species tend to be more high strung than others, which also changes with age.

Keep in mind they didn't spend thousands of years evolving in cages. What they do works in the wild.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I have like 4 or so N chromatus they all act super skittish, and run like crazy.
Guess its how they normally act, mine are super hungry and rarely refuse food.

My small LP's do the same thing if they are scared.
It's crazy the way they run around, stop, run the other way, stop run again. Like a Chinese fire drill.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
There's individual variations, plus some species tend to be more high strung than others, which also changes with age.

Keep in mind they didn't spend thousands of years evolving in cages. What they do works in the wild.
Yeah Perhaps its a survival tactic in the wild., My 4.5-5" female still does this but I gave her a bigger hide now. So she feels safer.

Akai

Arachnobaron
They are definitely skittish even as adults. great eaters though so it's a good trade off. ;)

Spinster

Arachnosquire
I recently acquired a 3/4" N. chromatus sling. It was definitely jumpy - but now it has dug itself a very deep burrow, and is a lot calmer with this retreat. ;) As others have said, they're good eaters and very nice looking, even as babies.