Tank too big?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got a t in the mail and realized that the tank I had prepared for her seems much too big - a ten gallon for a 3-3.5" t... I put lots of substrate, but am still worried about the possible downfalls of having her in too large a facility. I put her in the tank and she already started "moving in" (webbing and such) so I don't want to uproot her again unless it is necessary. She's an a geniculata so she will surely grow into it in time, but I want to make sure I'm doing the best for her. Any suggestions?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Bigger than it needs to be, for now, but she'll be fine. Keep her warm and feed her well, and she'll grow into it soon enough. Keep the substrate deep, so there's no long falls off the sides, and keep any hard objects, water bowls included, away from the sides.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Will do thank u so very much! Does anyone know about the growth rate of a geniculatas?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Nah that's perfect sized for that species 10gal. They grow very fast and get rather big 7-8" maybe bigger.
The are bottomless pits when it comes to eating, and never seem full.
I got a 2" juvie A genic.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
;-) Thx guys! Feel much more confident w ur advice

--J.Haas

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Nah, I think they could find their food if you threw it into the next zip code zone.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Do you think she will eat today if I try to feed her or should I wait a few days and let her get settled in?

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Probably wait I'm thinking, but how long, a few days?

--J.Haas

awiec

Arachnoprince
Do you think she will eat today if I try to feed her or should I wait a few days and let her get settled in?

---------- Post added 10-31-2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Probably wait I'm thinking, but how long, a few days?

--J.Haas
I don't think she is going to starve. I usually wait about 3-5 days before I attempt a feeding, of course I've had some eat right away but I think 3-4 allows the spider to get some webbing down and figure out what "home base" is. There are several species I have whom I keep in larger cages and they have no issue finding their food. Ironically my pokies and C.darlingi were the ones who mostly benefited from little cages as the space makes them feel safe but several species a larger cage was a must for me to be able to do everyday maintenance without them trying to take off. genics are very tenacious so I would not worry about a large cage for it, the big south american terrestrials will chase and tackle their prey often.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll hold my horses lol... But hopefully I can feed her in a few days, she seems to be webbing a bunch and I think she's happy!

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Geniculata is an exception to all those rules haha I got a 4" and put her straight into a 50X30X30cm enclosure, now two years later she is 7+ inches and she's still in there =) Just make sure the substrate is deep enough, mine actually burrowed into her cave so they can use the depth. As others have said, they are bottomless pits and feel free to feed them plenty =) One of my favourite species hands down, watching them grow is very exciting =D

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I woke up this morning and my little one had created a burrow. ? Everyone seems to say this species is very bold and does not hide much, could it be bc she's resting from the trip she just made? I put her by the heater last night, maybe she's too hot? And clues from anyone?

cold blood

Staff member
So I woke up this morning and my little one had created a burrow. ? Everyone seems to say this species is very bold and does not hide much, could it be bc she's resting from the trip she just made? I put her by the heater last night, maybe she's too hot? And clues from anyone?
They get bolder and stay in the open more frequently as adults...with size, comes confidence. Its very natural for slings and juvies to spend a lot of time burrowing underground or hiding...its self preservation as they are very vulnerable at smaller sizes.

LauraMI

Arachnopeon
I recently moved my 2 1/2" G. pulchra in a 12" cube, a big jump I thought from its former home of only 5" x 5". I wish I had gone a lot bigger! Blueberry has dug 4 burrows and is out walking each night. I feed hornworms and crickets, also no troubles. I think your T will be fine.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As I said in the previous post they do burrow, don't worry about it it's normal. Most bold Ts will still take time to acclimate to the new environment before sitting outside, just give your T time to adjust, she will sit outside eventually =)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, my a geniculata hasn't come out of her burrow since the day I got her (on Halloween). Tried to feed her several times and she's refused food. Don't want to disturb her but wondering if it's normal to take this long to get comfy? And I never see her drinking from her dish so I'm concerned ab her dehydrating. Any advice would be lovely. Thx

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
So, my a geniculata hasn't come out of her burrow since the day I got her (on Halloween). Tried to feed her several times and she's refused food. Don't want to disturb her but wondering if it's normal to take this long to get comfy? And I never see her drinking from her dish so I'm concerned ab her dehydrating. Any advice would be lovely. Thx
Some T's will disappear for months while getting acclimated. Whenever my L. Violaceopes is rehoused, she'll build a burrow, and never be seen again for probably 3 months, lol.

If it is dehydrated, it will come out of the burrow or hide looking for water, but bear in mind, most of the time it happens late at night when you are asleep.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
She a sling?? My Adult B vagans burrowed for 2 years til it collapsed ,. she hasn't rebuilt it since.

A genic refusing food is rare, maybe pre-molt.