poll- whats your underated specie?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
[/SIZ what one species of tarantula do you think is underated and you would like to see more of in the hobby. My pick is a.hentzi. in my experience there calm,cheap, hardy and beautiful.i have to admit im parcial cuz this was the first t i ever kept. I saw 2 3inchers goin for $5 each the nostalgia kicked into over drive and there now part of my collection once again! Thanks for your posts guys!

Zigana

Arachnosquire
The most underated to me is the A. hentzi. They are native to my area and are the ones that got me interested in tarantulas since I saw them all the time from June thru September. They were not my first to own but as I saw their population in my area drastically drop from being a hot spot to near zero I decided to breed, raise for 6 months and release. I got my start from a friend on the forum that lives fairly close to me who had two CB females, one of them had an eggsac. I have 2 WC males that I found for pairing with the females. I also have a couple more CB females. Love them all!

The A. hentzi is more entertaining and educational then one might think. Most of mine are burrowing right now, not in a hide, but deep in their substrate. Some seem to not know when to quit and the above soil will collapse. No big deal, they start digging elsewhere..they keep digging like their is no end. As far as eating they rarely turn a meal down unless getting close to molting. They are not boring when attacking their prey. While they may not be flashy in color they make up for it by keeping busy, out in the open(none of mine use their hides at all) and eating regularly. They are docile, hardy, cheap and would make a great beginner tarantula considering everything that I mentioned.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
The most underated to me is the A. hentzi. They are native to my area and are the ones that got me interested in tarantulas since I saw them all the time from June thru September. They were not my first to own but as I saw their population in my area drastically drop from being a hot spot to near zero I decided to breed, raise for 6 months and release. I got my start from a friend on the forum that lives fairly close to me who had two CB females, one of them had an eggsac. I have 2 WC males that I found for pairing with the females. I also have a couple more CB females. Love them all!

The A. hentzi is more entertaining and educational then one might think. Most of mine are burrowing right now, not in a hide, but deep in their substrate. Some seem to not know when to quit and the above soil will collapse. No big deal, they start digging elsewhere..they keep digging like their is no end. As far as eating they rarely turn a meal down unless getting close to molting. They are not boring when attacking their prey. While they may not be flashy in color they make up for it by keeping busy, out in the open(none of mine use their hides at all) and eating regularly. They are docile, hardy, cheap and would make a great beginner tarantula considering everything that I mentioned.
great post! I would much rather see this species in petstores being offered as great beginner species over the g.rosea/porteri.cb that is.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thrixopelma cyaneolum 'nuff said. You get the combo of an excellent personality, good color, food ferocity, not very seclusive and mine thinks she is a tonka bulldozer as she digs every night.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Thrixopelma cyaneolum 'nuff said. You get the combo of an excellent personality, good color, food ferocity, not very seclusive and mine thinks she is a tonka bulldozer as she digs every night.[/QUOTE i hadnt heard of those before and just googled them there gorgeous! How much do they usualy go for and do you no any one that has them for sale

cold blood

Staff member
Thrixopelma cyaneolum 'nuff said. You get the combo of an excellent personality, good color, food ferocity, not very seclusive and mine thinks she is a tonka bulldozer as she digs every night.
+1 to everything. Way too rare and difficult to find and way too often the ones you find for sale are misidentified. Hard to find them, but when you do they are not terribly expensive. Mine was a young adult female that I paid 50 bucks for.

Could make an ideal first t and a great addition to any collection IMO.

Funny Ash, mine has never dug, or even moved sub around a bit.

Attachments

gobey

Arachnoknight
Time and time again I'm going to champion these little NW terrestrials here! Euathlus parvulus. Formerly Paraphysa parvula. "Chilean Gold Burst"

I had bever heard of these little semi dwarf Ts (they get around 4" max)

And not many people owned them or could tell me about them.

But if you're going to get a pet rock NW terrestrial T for a first T.... Why not,get a colorful one with a curious disposition? Like mine here? Too bad he's a MM. :(

But no my first T and mostly everybody elses is a grumpy grey Grammostola

Attachments

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's got to be the Paraphysa sp north for me, stunning dainty little dwarf that max out at 2-2.5" they are very very calm, good eaters, never flick or threat pose infact they behave pretty much the same as the euathlas sp red only half the size. The only problem is trying to find one i bought mine around a year ago and ive not seen any for sale anywhere

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Haplopelmas: schmidti and albostriatum. Gorgeous spiders that should be much more available.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I think mine would be my P. Sp Purple. I dont see speqk of them much, nor see alot for sale.. i fell in love with this sp on a herp site. The colors cought me ofcourse.. then a little light reading... medium groth rate, if not slow imo. But hs a nice appitite hardly refusing a meal. Mine seems pretty calm unless i scare him then he only jumps and looks at me. Like "wtf was that". Never flicks, never threat displayed twards me. And just a kool little guy all around.. i wish i found more for decent prices id nab them up :)

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I think mine would be my P. Sp Purple. I dont see speqk of them much, nor see alot for sale.. i fell in love with this sp on a herp site. The colors cought me ofcourse.. then a little light reading... medium groth rate, if not slow imo. But hs a nice appitite hardly refusing a meal. Mine seems pretty calm unless i scare him then he only jumos and looks at me. Never flicks, never threat displayed twards me. And just a kool little guy all around.. i wish i found more for decent prices id nab them up :)
lol. P. Species is a little vague. Whats the species name? So i can check it out!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
lol. P. Species is a little vague. Whats the species name? So i can check it out!
Lol shoulda said that huh. well i guess i wasnt thinking.. its Phormictopus sp. Purple. The Common names are Cuban purple or cuban purple bird eater. which what cought my attention yr or 2 ago :p

cold blood

Staff member
Phormictopus genus in general would make the short list IMO.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Phormictopus genus in general would make the short list IMO.
i have to agree i just wish the females had the amazing colors of the mature males. I almost picked up 2 p.cancerides slings yesterday but i took 2 more parahybanas instead. Is sp .purple more colorfull at all stages of life as the name implies or just when the male matures?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well iv seen some cancerides about same size. He seemed alot more colorfull i just left for the store but ill try get a pic of him when i get home. My guys maybe 2" area and not dull imo but i dont own any cancerides atm xs

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.cambridgei. Irminia has its own charm, but I prefer these guys over them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well iv seen some cancerides about same size. He seemed alot more colorfull i just left for the store but ill try get a pic of him when i get home. My guys maybe 2" area and not dull imo but i dont own any cancerides atm xs
o word id love to see it ! Thanks