Molting - is this normal?

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I have an L. parahybana who started molting about 2 hours ago at most. He's a sling, so of course the process is very quick, especially with him. Right now though, he's completely out of his molt, but he's still on his back with his legs curled to him very tightly. Is this normal? He's always molted so quickly I've never seen him do this.

cold blood

Staff member
Normal, sometimes they will lay on their backs for a bit before flipping back over. Molting is tiresome and takes a lot out of them. Ya get a great view of the white fangs though, I think that's pretty cool to see.;)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
How big is he and is he moving at?can u c if its pulsing its legs?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I'd bet its already on its feet by now.
probably i noticed when raising my lp slings that if there was a large gain in size from the last molt they get beat and it takes them awhile to recover. I love lp i just bought 2 more today

cold blood

Staff member
probably i noticed when raising my lp slings that if there was a large gain in size from the last molt they get beat and it takes them awhile to recover. I love lp i just bought 2 more today
For sure, imagine all that extra length crammed into the old smaller exo, gotta feel nice to be free of it. My nigricolor's last molt it went from about 2.75" to over 3.5", huge growth difference, when it was done, it laid on its back like the op's t for a good 40 minutes before flipping, then it sat pretty still till the next afternoon...its been moving around and blackening up since. I love the molting process, but then, who doesn't?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
After this molt, I'd say he's roughly an inch now. He's not back on his feet yet but he has uncurled them
its fine Just lettem be. He'll b up and and ready to eat u out of house and home in no time. Lp make some of the best (pet), display ts out there they get huge and know it. My slings hardly ever used a hide and as adults never did. There not big webbers or burrowers either so it make handling a breeze if your into that sort of thing.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
For sure, imagine all that extra length crammed into the old smaller exo, gotta feel nice to be free of it. My nigricolor's last molt it went from about 2.75" to over 3.5", huge growth difference, when it was done, it laid on its back like the op's t for a good 40 minutes before flipping, then it sat pretty still till the next afternoon...its been moving around and blackening up since. I love the molting process, but then, who doesn't?
pretty sure they dont technucally grow till they are out of the molt ;)

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The moulting process is incredible to say the least =)

What your sling is doing is normal, they will perform a variety of stretches etc but normally wont start immediately. Do nothing to interrupt the process, if they are spooked at this stage and try and run they can injure themselves. Your sling will be on its feet shortly