Theraphosa apophysis vs Theraphosa stirmi size? color

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Can Experienced owners of these Ts inform me more.
Whats the big size, build difference of these Ts?

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Apophysis is leggier and stirmi is thicker and heavier bodied. Apophysis has a slightly larger legspan I believe.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think an apophysis mm had the largest recorded legspan of any spider. Stirmis are big tanks, for the average of each species they'll be around the same size, heavy and damn big

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have kept all 3 years ago, and even though apophysis is leggier, they do also get bigger, that was my experience with them. Others have different opinions i am sure.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The color for all three Theraphosa varies depending on where they are in their molt cycle, so that's not a reliable indicator. As has been said, apophysis has the biggest DLS, stirmi and blondi are almost as big, but are bulkier. Adult male apophysis have purple on them, like male Pampho; the other two Theraphosa males are plain like the females.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The color for all three Theraphosa varies depending on where they are in their molt cycle, so that's not a reliable indicator. As has been said, apophysis has the biggest DLS, stirmi and blondi are almost as big, but are bulkier. Adult male apophysis have purple on them, like male Pampho; the other two Theraphosa males are plain like the females.
Are any Pampho's near as large? I heard chicken spider gets pretty big.
Similar coloring in T apophysis MM is cool. Bright colors must help MM in south america.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Are any Pampho's near as large? I heard chicken spider gets pretty big.
Similar coloring in T apophysis MM is cool. Bright colors must help MM in south america.
There are species in at least 10 genera that hit 8", some may go a little bigger than that. Some of these are OW arboreals, which don't have the bulk and weight of terrestrials, so they look leggier instead of massive. Still, 8" is huge.