P.Goliath "Giant form" pics

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
My P.Goliath molted over a week ago and I thought I would share some photos with you, he is 15 months old from sling- this. Easily my fav T
IMG_3795.jpg IMG_3801.jpg IMG_3797.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
That guys ugly hands ruin it for me.;P

Nice t though:wink:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I'm a nail biter you wouldn't understand!

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 02:37 PM ----------

haha you should get one, they're not obligate burrowers like people claim.
But maybe i wanted the burrower xP

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I could only wish to find such rare Ts for cheap here. Or even for sale.
this the largest T in Aussie land how big they get ??

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
I could only wish to find such rare Ts for cheap here. Or even for sale.
this the largest T in Aussie land how big they get ??
Yeah this is the largest species and locality of the species you can find here in Australia, it takes a while but they can hit 8 inch +, the only Tarantula here that comes close to these guys is Crassipes Kuttibul. Steve has one from the same location that is over 8 inch and there is also a Goliath from this location at a museum here that is over 9 inch.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All true :)They are a big species, not big like some of the S. American giants, or some of the bigger Hysterocrates, but a big one of this particular form gets pretty damn big, biggest in the Aussie hobby by far in my opinion (but only a particular form of this species, the ones I used to breed were among that population)......

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
All true :)They are a big species, not big like some of the S. American giants, or some of the bigger Hysterocrates, but a big one of this particular form gets pretty damn big, biggest in the Aussie hobby by far in my opinion (but only a particular form of this species, the ones I used to breed were among that population)......

Steve, what form of Goliaths are the ones that you exported to the USA?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I exported the bigger population, but I did have 2 populations the original stock came from, one of them being a little smaller (but I had more success in breeding the big ones, and those were the ones I shipped over)..... The males mature anywhere from just under 4 " legspan, right up to about 6-7" in the biggest males. The females get FAR larger than any of the males ever do...they are one of those species that just keep on growing with each moult, they just don't slow down....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I exported the bigger population, but I did have 2 populations the original stock came from, one of them being a little smaller (but I had more success in breeding the big ones, and those were the ones I shipped over)..... The males mature anywhere from just under 4 " legspan, right up to about 6-7" in the biggest males. The females get FAR larger than any of the males ever do...they are one of those species that just keep on growing with each moult, they just don't slow down....
Thanks. I've got a 6" female Goliath, probably from your original export, and some 2" youngsters bred here. How big should the female be to pair up?

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If she's at 6", she's sexually mature, still young, but mature. Each year they breed, they grow slower, but if they don't breed, they continue to put on size and girth too, each year, by a significant amount each time. They are pigs when it comes to food and need to be treated as such. I'm yet to see mine slow down...and they are the ONLY species I have like that....also the largest species I have ever kept (and I keep or have kept a lot of the big ones ;)).

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
If she's at 6", she's sexually mature, still young, but mature. Each year they breed, they grow slower, but if they don't breed, they continue to put on size and girth too, each year, by a significant amount each time. They are pigs when it comes to food and need to be treated as such. I'm yet to see mine slow down...and they are the ONLY species I have like that....also the largest species I have ever kept (and I keep or have kept a lot of the big ones ;)).
Pigs is an understatement, she won't stop eating until the very final days of her molt haha. I have taken her on as my own personal experiment, perfect feeding and no breeding for 15 years (hopefully she doesn't die of something wack like molting problems) and I plan to see how big these guys can really reach, even if I quit the hobby and sell up my T's she will always be with me. She is also incredibly docile, kinda ruins her Aussie reputation but granted she is the only girl I have who I can generally say is docile.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
These get what about size of king baboon?

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

jigalojey

Arachnoknight

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

I reckon they're on equal size as the kings (personal biased but I think they could get even bigger than them if we let them thrive in captivity for a lot longer period than our young hobby already has) I have actually talked to Steve about it and he reckons generally speaking kings get a lil bigger but there are exceptions, never seen a 9 inch King though.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Are these available in america?Id imagine they cost a lot, or are very rare.
I got a 4" juvie King baboon its still small.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
You could probably find a king at 8 inch that is a couple of decades old LOL, never seen one close to 9 inch and I have seen tons because I used to have a fascination with them, H.hercules was just a mystical story everyone wanted to believe in but it's stats are pretty poor and there is no chance in any galaxy it would ever knock the south American kings of their throne and nothing will.