Well, I waited more than a week!

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
I got some more T's this past week. I'm up to 5 now. Yes, it's addictive!! Found them on good old craigslist, got some great deals. I had told myself I didn't really WANT any rosies, but they were too cheap to pass up! So I have:

1 mature female G. rosea - 5"
1 juvenile G. rosea - pretty sure it's female as well, but this one has a habit of standing right in the corners where it's hard to see straight through the plastic! :/
1 possibly adult P. Scrofa - 3" - just got a lot at this one, also female.

The person I got them from was misting these poor little guys weekly... They were definitely not happy. Had barely any substrate, and the adult female was definitely cramped. Not sure how they hadn't escaped before, since the lids definitely didn't snap securely. Plus, I just don't like the way cheap plastic containers and Tupperware look. I let them settle for a couple days and just finished rehousing a few hours ago. I have some pouty tarantulas right now haha!

The previous owner said that the adult female rosea could be quite grouchy, but she'd never held any of them. But from what I've seen, they're all super sweet! I think the attitude problems might have been from all that misting... I held all three of them (with gloves, I'm a wimp) to transfer them over to their new homes, no aggression whatsoever! Guess I lucked out with these lovely ladies. :)

Old enclosures;
image.jpg

New ones, plenty of substrate! Sorry it's dark.
image.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Hmm reply didnt post earlier xc.. either who nu e grab.. cant see bigger girl but smaller one on right def looks porteri to me not rosea :)

cold blood

Staff member
And which is the scrofa, none of those look anything like any scrofa I've seen.

Nice haul, I'm sure they will be happier with the new, more knowledgeable owner.

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
I was afraid this would happen! I'm terrible at identifying by looks alone. Just looked up the difference between Roseas and porteri's, they're almost definitely porteri's. I'll try and get a better picture of the scrofa later, but it's the one in the top right of the other picture.

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
Okay, finally managed to get some better pictures of these girls.
The top two are of what were sold as G. roseas, definitely look more like Potrero now that I've looked up the difference. The bottom two are supposed to be a P. Scrofa. Not sure on this one. The second picture of her is a little more true to life, but she is really pink! Any ideas?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
cant say on scrofa i dont own any.. but tiop looks young. prob porteri. but 2nd might be rosea. your pics are a little color washed tho especially 3rd

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
cant say on scrofa i dont own any.. but tiop looks young. prob porteri. but 2nd might be rosea. your pics are a little color washed tho especially 3rd
Yeah, sorry about that! I don't have any other camera than my phone. :/

gobey

Arachnoknight
Top 2 are porteris.

I have no idea what a P. scrofa really looks like in person. That's Paraphysa right?

G. roseas will be very red whereas porteris are a grey / brown with a pinkish hue on the hairs and possibly the carapace.

That young one has such a tiny abdomen! :3

Angrybear

Arachnopeon
Top 2 are porteris.

I have no idea what a P. scrofa really looks like in person. That's Paraphysa right?

G. roseas will be very red whereas porteris are a grey / brown with a pinkish hue on the hairs and possibly the carapace.

That young one has such a tiny abdomen! :3
Right! Paraphysa. In person, she's really orange and copper. Looks very similar to what a google image search comes up with. But, I'm not very good at ID'ing just on looks alone yet.

Got it! I thought rosea could include the red, grey and pink color forms before it was pointed out they looked more like porteri.

I know, she's really little. Her previous wonder "didn't want them to grow too fast because it's bad for them", so she was only feeding once ever 3 or 4 weeks. Plus, didn't have a water bowl in there, only misting :/ hopefully I can get her to bulk up a little, seems too little.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

no promlem maybe take a pic under a bright lamp instead of soft white? :) or use led flashlight?
Thank you for the tips! I'll try that. I think I'll have to go buy a nice camera just for spider photography though, haha. :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Thank you for the tips! I'll try that. I think I'll have to go buy a nice camera just for spider photography though, haha. :)
hah no judgment iv debated on this a few times i was eyeballing a $3,400 camera with macro lenses 64 gb card and etc etc and i sadly decided im better off with my phone XD

gobey

Arachnoknight
Right! Paraphysa. In person, she's really orange and copper. Looks very similar to what a google image search comes up with. But, I'm not very good at ID'ing just on looks alone yet.

Got it! I thought rosea could include the red, grey and pink color forms before it was pointed out they looked more like porteri.

I know, she's really little. Her previous wonder "didn't want them to grow too fast because it's bad for them", so she was only feeding once ever 3 or 4 weeks. Plus, didn't have a water bowl in there, only misting :/ hopefully I can get her to bulk up a little, seems too little.

---------- Post added 11-03-2014 at 08:38 PM ----------

Hmmm.... It's probably a scrofa... I did some research on them for a bit when I got my Eauthlus parvulus because it was just being renamed that from Paraphysa parvula. They're supposed to be docile little dwarf Ts if I recall as well. 4" or so.

Rosea too used to include multiple color forms... But about when I started in the hobby they separated roseas and porteris into 2 species.

You can feed your porteris 1 cricket every 1 to 2 weeks. Every 3 or 4 weeks is pretty rough... They already grow slow as molasses. And definitely get them some,water! :)

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
See? We told ya the hobby/obsession was addictive! :)

You've got some nice additions there.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My oldest T is a G porteri female, I can tell she is darker than my. Pinker carpace of G rosea, and G rosea is smaller.
IMO G rosea is a better looking spider, but I like em both :)