Albopilosum slings

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
How do you know when very small slings are in premolt (3i b albopilosum slings primarily)? I already
know of obvious signs for larger tarantulas.

gobey

Arachnoknight
They turn quite dull brown, their abdomens get swollen like a big fat tick and begin to fill in darker and darker black in that little black spot.

I have 4 of the little buggers. 6 molts between them now.

---------- Post added 11-02-2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

Damn I was just going to try and get you a pic of mine who has been in stubborn pre molt for forever.

But.... He molted today lol....

Expect decent growth from them each molt too. For Brachypelma at least.

Aside from my 2 P. regalis and my bigger H. mac, my B. albopilosums are my favorite slings. Especially my biggest ones. They're just shy of an inch now and you can see the hairs! :)

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just feel it out. When I have a sling that small, I make sure it eats its food, in that case newborn crickets. If if doesn't eat it right away for a couple tries then I say its in premolt. Then I check it about once a day and wait for it to do something. Roughly speaking, in my environs, the Bablo sling molts about about once every 4, 6, 10 weeks and so on. Oh, and I wait a week before I feed it - and, at that first feeding, I make sure I see it eat. That's what Iv'e seen and done.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I just feel it out. When I have a sling that small, I make sure it eats its food, in that case newborn crickets. If if doesn't eat it right away for a couple tries then I say its in premolt. Then I check it about once a day and wait for it to do something. Roughly speaking, in my environs, the Bablo sling molts about about once every 4, 6, 10 weeks and so on. Oh, and I wait a week before I feed it - and, at that first feeding, I make sure I see it eat. That's what Iv'e seen and done.
Mine definitely molt slower than every 4 weeks... I also have my room around 70 ish though and probably don't feed them as much as I used to when I only had like 3 slings instead of 10.

If mine aren't eating I leave in pre killed to make sure... But it does usually mean pre molt.

nemesisT

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if he's ready for a molt last time he molted was like 2months ago?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Probably... Depending on temps, and feeding frequency, 8 weeks is reasonable to molt again at that size

nemesisT

Arachnopeon
I keep my temps about 75 to 80 F. And he does eat about twice a week, I just put some pinheads last night and nothing do u think I should remove them?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I keep my temps about 75 to 80 F. And he does eat about twice a week, I just put some pinheads last night and nothing do u think I should remove them?
I would. Generally speaking, when I put a feeder item in an enclosure that starts a countdown timer. The spider has 24 hours to eat it. It it's still there at 24hrs I assume it is not hungry and remove the prey item and try again in 3-7days depending on what schedule I have it on. This goes for live or pre-killed/maimed. The only exceptions to that is my A. avic. I feed it large Dubia nymphs that I don't believe are predatory. And if I suspect the spider in question is entering pre-molt I supervise the feeding or offer maimed anyway. I crush the feeders head. The will still walk around and twitch enough to draw attention.

nemesisT

Arachnopeon
Ok thnx for the info ima remove the pinheads and try again in a couple days see what happens.