Intro

Grey

Arachnopeon
So I'm new to this hobby. I haven been doing research for several months. I am the kinda guy who likes to know as much as possible and plan ahead before investing time and money into a new hobby. Another reason that I haven't bought my first T is because of family, although I am 25 I do live with my family. (I have two jobs and I'm no couch potato or gamer/slacker) I am very active and always busy which is why I don't own a dog, lol. My family is completely intolerant of anything that don't understand and not even open to discussing these kinds of things. So basically I'm trying to do the responsible thing of waiting till I move out to invest into live Ts but at the same time, I'm saving so much money by staying here, idk how long it'll be before I leave. I've already decided what Ts I want to buy and what Ts I want after I gain more experience. I'm already addicted. My only problem is that I can't find TKG anywhere so I may just have to order it off amazon. I'm also interested in breeding on down the road and just everything in general. One serious question I have is about terrariums and housing. I watch a lot of RobCs T videos on YouTube and noticed how beautiful his set ups are. How much does something like that cost and what's the maintenance on it? I've seen several other kinds of T set ups but most were simply kritter keepers with labels I didn't think were that impressive, not that the collections weren't impressive enough, lol. I personally love how his Ts are displayed in a very realistic environment and I think that's how I'd like to display my future Ts.. Also, if I were to get ONE T before I moved out what do you think of its housing being kept locked away in my gun safe? My only concern would be humidity. My guns don't like humidity and of course, the tarantula would. I'm considering brachypelma (curly hair) for my first T. I also saw another members set up that I really like and I believe his name was urban legend.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you have to hide it, don't get it. When you do move out and are able to get one you might want to consider doing some more research. Only a handful of tarantulas need high humidity. Many come from dry desert regions and don't like moisture or humidity. Even most tropical species don't need a lot of it.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
I agree with Bob. You will enjoy your future pet alot more if you don't have to hide it. Go ahead and work on getting your own place, then you can feed your new found hobby/addiction to your hearts' desire (or your budgets' limit). Welcome to AB!

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 07:20 PM ----------

Oh, and alot of those enclosures like RobCs' and others are mostly done with foam which is carved to the desired shape, then painted with colored grout. Not too costly, but does take time and some creativity. There's videos on youtube on how to do all that. Also you will probably have to order TKG off of amazon.

cold blood

Staff member
And some t's will just shred foam, so its not always usable. And some species are better kept rather Spartan as they will just bury décor in sub. Some that are heavy webbers or those that like it dry would be poor candidates for live plants, as would many of the t's with chewing tendencies as they can destroy plants. If you are looking for specific looking/type set-ups, you will need to make sure you get a t that's compatible. Plastic plants are actually a whole lot less trouble, and with species that are less aggressive with their food, large areas and lots of clutter can hinder the t's hunting ability, as well as your ability to remove or find uneaten prey items, which will happen.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Welcome, Grey. :)

Being a gun owner myself, I wouldn't put a T in with them, for the simple fact that there isn't much air circulating in the safe (metal, I'm presuming), and most T's need that, and I doubt they'd thrive much being constantly in the dark.

Great thought for your first T, too. The B. albopilosum is a very underrated species (as it isn't very colourful), but a perfect choice for a beginner in the hobby. Docile & extremely hardy (i.e., tolerant of a newbie's mistakes), one of the toughest species out there, in my opinion. I honestly think one could survive a nuclear blast. :laugh:

As the others have said, wait until you get your own place before getting your first. In the meantime, make sure to pop in to the Boards here to soak up more knowledge, and if you can, get a copy of the Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stan Schultz.

Good luck, and let us know when you get your first, we'll want to see it. :)

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Why would anyone want to keep their tarantula in complete darkness. Why have one? Tarantulas see light in their natural environment, they are used to mornings and night. Take that away and you wont have a happy T

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
I think you should focus on moving out first.... Surely you crave your own space without the questioning of your folks?? Your T would feel the same locked in a safe. I also have guns(3 rifles and hand gun) and I could never put my Ts in their.

Most people are scared of the "unknown" and education, one way or the other, seems to be the best tool. Maybe you can borrow a T from a friend to show your family how clean, smell free and amazing these creatures are. Dont let this keep you from the hobby. My mom would have never allowed my to keep Ts but since I bought my own place and have been keeping Ts she is a lot more open to the subject. p.s I am also 25 years young.

cold blood

Staff member
A t has no need for light, most actually prefer not to see it. Keeping a t in complete darkness will have no adverse effect on the spider other than it will be out more. Burrows, hides and webbing are all ways for a t to avoid light among other things.

Ashton

Arachnoknight
The room in which my Ts are kept is very dark 24/7. All of them are quite happy and doing very well.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Yep, mine are kept in my basement. They never see any natural light and the lights only on when someone is down there. Sometimes less than an hour a day, sometimes a few hours etc.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Nature provided light in the wild, if they CHOOSE they can hide away. Humans making that choice for them is just typical human assumptions backed up with made up facts. He's happy because he's out and eating, that's instinct. They hide usually because of disturbance, not light from my experience. A basement, cupboard etc isn't going to be used as much as a living room or bedroom, of course it will be out more.

Please don't just make things up, use nature as a guide :)

The thing evolved to have 8 legs and can climb on glass but people say don't put it in an enclosure too high and shove it in a lightless room ... sigh.

Nature gets it right then humans come along :(

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Nature provided light in the wild, if they CHOOSE they can hide away. Humans making that choice for them is just typical human assumptions backed up with made up facts. He's happy because he's out and eating, that's instinct. They hide usually because of disturbance, not light from my experience. A basement, cupboard etc isn't going to be used as much as a living room or bedroom, of course it will be out more.

The thing evolved to have 8 legs and can climb on glass but people say don't put it in an enclosure too high and shove it in a lightless room ... sigh.

Does vertical glass appear anywhere in nature?

Spiders are nocturnal, they have no real "need" for light. In my house you know where I find spiders most often? In the darkest places that never see light, like the basement, cupboards and closets...its where the spiders choose. Avoiding light is indeed natural for them.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Stop accusing people of "making things up". I don't see anyone doing that. There is plenty of evidence to support Cold Blood's claim of spiders not having a need for light, even in the wild. He's also right about them not encountering glass barriers in the wild. Regardless of how much we try to imitate their natural habitats, this is still captivity.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Avoiding light is indeed natural for them.
Some by choice, that's the important part you're choosing to ignore. I find most spiders outside, the ones inside don't really seem to care either.

There is no vertical but plenty of horizontal? wtf you didn't get the point I was making and took that literally? Twas an example mate

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Stop accusing people of "making things up". I don't see anyone doing that. There is plenty of evidence to support Cold Blood's claim of spiders not having a need for light, even in the wild. He's also right about them not encountering glass barriers in the wild. Regardless of how much we try to imitate their natural habitats, this is still captivity.
Please dont tell me what to do, I didn't question the need so please stop waffling on about that, my point is choice. Stick to that bit.

You take the choice away and then say 'oh they don't need it anyway' :bruised:

So what you're saying is leave the light on in the basement and don't go down for a week and a ton of spiders will be sulking in corners? lol No they'll get on about their business until you come along.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some by choice, that's the important part you're choosing to ignore. I find most spiders outside, the ones inside don't really seem to care either.

There is no vertical but plenty of horizontal? wtf you didn't get the point I was making and took that literally? Twas an example mate

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 10:09 AM ----------

Please dont tell me what to do, I didn't question the need so please stop waffling on about that, my point is choice. Stick to that bit.

You take the choice away and then say 'oh they don't need it anyway' :bruised:

So what you're saying is leave the light on in the basement and don't go down for a week and a ton of spiders will be sulking in corners? lol No they'll get on about their business until you come along.
I never said that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
Come over here and dig up one of our wild T's down in its 2 meter deep bendy burrow and tell me if you can see any light mate. If you want to play by natures rules then take them out of your glass tank and put them back in the wild.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
If I see any light after i've dug up the spider? That makes no sense, of course there will be light I just dug the tunnel. None of mine are from the wild either unfortunately so not sure where they'd go back to.

Am I not writing the word choice big enough?

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
If I see any light after i've dug up the spider? That makes no sense, of course there will be light I just dug the tunnel. None of mine are from the wild either unfortunately so not sure where they'd go back to.

Am I not writing the word choice big enough?
Do you even have an argument? You're telling people not to put stuff in the cupboard due to light issues and you're all about giving tarantulas a "choice", doubt your tarantulas are gonna get much natural light in England LOL.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Isn't it established that tarantulas are nocturnal creatures? Tarantulas rely on other senses to make its way around the world and sight however perceived is the least of which it depends on.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
Do you even have an argument? You're telling people not to put stuff in the cupboard due to light issues and you're all about giving tarantulas a "choice", doubt your tarantulas are gonna get much natural light in England LOL.
No I didn't have an argument which is why there was no need for you to butt in with your pointless post. My POINT was that they choose to live in darkness by CHHHOOOIIICCCCEEEE!!!!! I didn't tell any humans not to do anything but make crap up to justify their actions. Argue some more with that if you like but please grow up a bit that England thing I just sighed, this isnt school.

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 10:29 AM ----------

Isn't it established that tarantulas are nocturnal creatures? Tarantulas rely on other senses to make its way around the world and sight however perceived is the least of which it depends on.
and? what's that got to do with the choice thing and humans taking it away then justifying it? Why is nobody staying on this?

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 10:34 AM ----------

Here i'll give you an example since you're not getting it.

I keep my tarantulas in a glass case, it isn't where they should naturally be and I know that .. so I don't make things up like "he's getting better treatment here and he loves it" no need to make things up to justify

Last edited: