Breeding multiple species at once??

MobBurrow

Vial Creatures
Arachnosupporter +
Quick question which may have been covered, search terms are too broad. Now I'm guessing most breeders do this regularly and know a good few who just let their pairs of some spp hang out for a week or so. Just wondering if anyone has noticed signs of affected mating behavior while breeding multiple tarantula pairs in close quarters. This could include drum patterns or confuzed signals, maybe discouragement. I realize most of us don't speak the language but maybe success is so great I don't need to worry about the issue??

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Nope its not a big deal. The first time i ever paired any tarantulas i had 5 different species together at once. Anymore, if a species is taking their time and i have others to pair, i set those aside, and start on the others. You just have to be certain that the ones set aside are completely getting along. That way as your pairing the others you dont have to worry about males getting munched. Sometimes ill have 3 or 4 different species sitting in front of me with males and females pairing, lids off enclosures and all.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Usually when I have a bunch of mm's they will respond to each others tapping. Tarantulas use pheromones for breeding besides tapping, so they know and rarely hybrid breeding happens out in the wild.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
DO any males cohab well with females? without ending up a fat meal?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i figured that lol.
He hasn't read your ongoing thread of what you've been pairing up.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

Some do. It just depends on the species, and individual females/males. M. balfouri cohab very well together. I try not to do any cohabbing no matter how well a pair are getting along though. Sometimes i forget a male overnight, or plan to leave him overnight. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes its a mistake. And some females personalities change towards males after a molt, they become more aggressive, or gentle.
DO any males cohab well with females? without ending up a fat meal?