Molting party!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So all of my Ts seem to be having a molting party! They have all been molting in the passed week or so. Wondering way they are doing it all together? Is it due to the fact that They are all fed at the same time and have the same general accommodations (ie same heat, same sub, etc)? Or is it a chemistry thing? ....like when a bunch of chicks live together and all end up with their periods at the same time? Lol.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

Lol.... Did I scare everyone off with the period comment?

cold blood

Staff member
So all of my Ts seem to be having a molting party! They have all been molting in the passed week or so. Wondering way they are doing it all together? Is it due to the fact that They are all fed at the same time and have the same general accommodations (ie same heat, same sub, etc)? Or is it a chemistry thing? ....like when a bunch of chicks live together and all end up with their periods at the same time? Lol.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 08:29 PM ----------

Maybe they're all females and on the same "schedule" :wink:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Most of them are females... Could be!

--J.Haas
If molts are large enough you could check to see which ones are females.:cool:
Lots of my spiders love destroying there molts:cry: so I cant see if there male or female. Til there real big.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just found out today that another of my babies is a female, so most of them are female (except one I think) or slings and too small to sex yet... Lol, hmm maybe tarantulas also have that estrogen thing going on like us human ladies

--J.Haas

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 09:34 PM ----------

All jokes aside, tho, is there a correlation? Do others Ts molt during the same month or so?

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
All jokes aside, tho, is there a correlation? Do others Ts molt during the same month or so?
usually its believed it has to do with the weather. barometric pressure has an effect on T's some times a T will molt slower in the winter as its colder/dryer[if u use a heater] and quicker in the spring and summer months. sometimes a T may be ready to pop out of its old evo for WEEKS and with the first little sprinkle of rain youll have some new threads ;) [sometimes 3 or 4 you wasnt expecting]

cold blood

Staff member
usually its believed it has to do with the weather. barometric pressure has an effect on T's some times a T will molt slower in the winter as its colder/dryer[if u use a heater] and quicker in the spring and summer months. sometimes a T may be ready to pop out of its old evo for WEEKS and with the first little sprinkle of rain youll have some new threads ;) [sometimes 3 or 4 you wasnt expecting]
I noticed this a lot. Just following a really humid or rainy period they all start popping....some that were in pre-molt unusually long, to those in pre for only a very short time. It tells me condition play a role at least to a degree.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I noticed this a lot. Just following a really humid or rainy period they all start popping....some that were in pre-molt unusually long, to those in pre for only a very short time. It tells me condition play a role at least to a degree.
I always get a ton of spiders molting near springtime when weather warms up 50% of spiders or more. Warm weather = more food time to grow id imagine.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
I always get a ton of spiders molting near springtime when weather warms up 50% of spiders or more. Warm weather = more food time to grow id imagine.
Then explain why even in wimter its 80 in my room (others go cooler) and STILL get more around rains or cool offs ;p

cold blood

Staff member
Then explain why even in wimter its 80 in my room (others go cooler) and STILL get more around rains or cool offs ;p
Keep in mind spring is a normal time for regular rain and blooming/growing flora, which combined with that warmer spring weather created elevated humidity, especially considering how low the humidity can be in a heated home all winter long.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
During winter I haven't been using heater much, Perhaps I didn't document it well enough and they molted while it was still cold. Ill keep track this year for & tell you what happens. Perhaps they can sense rain from outside & molt due to higher humidity levels.

T;s aren't well studied.
Cool 70 deg F*. weather might be better for molting.

Last edited:

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
All my bigger girls molt around Christmas (which is summer here) slings go about once every month and my juvies don't play by any rules and molt when they feel like it.

Yes, yes you did.

auskie

Arachnosquire
When one tarantula in my collection molts, I know all of the others are about to molt too. They always molt within a few days of one another. I got them all from different places, they're all different sizes, and different species but still molt at roughly the same time.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
True. However what about us with higher humidity year round my rooms humidity is never below 60, and on days in spring when it hits and temps are 70 area (which for me myself i find chilly but ik they like fluxuations) my heat goes off and humidity is the same but i think Ts are semiźhardwired to know the seasons :)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, yes you did.
Looool I knew it!

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 11:33 AM ----------

Well another new molt this morning too! Now I want to sexy them all if I can. I posted a pic yesterday in the sexing forum if anyone can help me.

So far I've had amazing luck w getting female slings :) so who knows lol