What an interesting year

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well now the weather as started hitting late 30s early 40s at night it definitely means online orders for myself have stopped so there probably won't be anymore new additions this year. Anyway yesterday while doing the rounds I started thinking about this year and the things that have taken place over the past 12 months there's been highs and lows like losing my 1st ever t pre- maturity due to a bad moult then I had my 1st escape which didn't end well for my oligoxystre sling which ended up somehow in the enclosure of my Grammostola iheringi sling that ate it. I've picked up t's I've searched month's on end to find aswell as some of the T's rarer to the UK. My collection is tiny compared to some members on here standing at only 20 t's but it's my collection and im proud of the collection I've built so far and will continue to build over time. My collection for the moment contains only Nw t's but in my opinion I think it's an interesting mix of dwarfs and larger t's all terrestrial so no Ow or arboreal sadly untill I feel my terrestrial nw collection is complete which may take a while but I'm in this hobby for the long haul anyway so there's no rush. My current collection minus the couple of losses stands as follows.
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola iheringi
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma annitha x2
Brachypelma verdezi
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma schroederi
Hapalopus triseriatus lowland
Oligoxystre diamantinensis
Paraphysa sp north
Pamphobeteus sp machalla
Pamphobeteus sp mascara
Crypsidromus sp Panama
Thrixopelma lagunas
Aphonopelma serratum
Nhandu coloratovillosus
Euathlus sp red
Euathlus parvula (still doesn't feel right calling it this)
Gbb
Some may say there's a lot of safe t's on this list but I wanted these t's as the foundation of my collection and that's why I love this hobby you can be a true individual with your own unique collection that most likely won't be the same as anyone else's an yet we are part of an ever growing community of good people who aren't judgemental or snobs. Yet sometimes we are classed as freaks or weirdos wrongly by people outside the hobby who don't understand and never will, my response to those people is as follows " I'd rather be a freak or weird rather than being an oxygen thief like you"

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Nothing wrong with having 'safe' T's as a start, johnny, everyone has to cut their teeth on something, right? I was a solid two years into the hobby before getting my first 'intermediate' T, a P. irminia.

Of the T's on your list, I have five of them (pulchra, Emilia, smithi, Euathlus sp red, and GBB). The pulchra & Emilia are tied for favourite of my 22 T's, although I enjoy the feistiness of my GBB. I get a threat display every time. LOL

Like you, I'm not in a competition with anybody to have the most or the rarest T's. I like what I like, period. I have 4 B. albopilosum (all as freebies with orders), and I wouldn't trade them for anything, they are great little things. There are a few of the rarer ones I'd like to get as the years go by (P. metallica, X. imannis, A. juruensis, and perhaps M. mesomelas), but that will give me something to aim for and look forward to acquiring.

If any of my slings turn out to be male, I'll send them out on breeding loans, just asking for 5 slings in return. I'm not looking to make money out of this hobby, but to help it grow and get more people interested. :)

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the 2nd time in the hobby for me and the 1st time around I had 3 Avics 2 p irminia h minax h crassipes and a B albopilosum so I have experience with ow and arboreal t's its just this time around there's nothing that really jumps out at me as a must have at the moment that will change no doubt. I don't know why but I seem drawn towards terrestrial t's

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Which ever T's you're draw to are the right T's for you. I have one arboreal but have no urge to get more. New world terrestrials seem to be the T's for me.