I promised my O. diamantinensis.......

Enn49

Arachnosquire
....... a bigger home once he/she had moulted so as it did just that 6 days ago, today was moving day. Knowing how quick it can be, I emptied the ExoTerra that houses a lot of my slings tubs to give me a safety net if it decided to run. It was the opposite today thank goodness.

Old and new homes

New home

It didn't want to be parted from its old leaf and web so I ended up putting the whole lot into the new tub and waiting until it went exploring on its own.

Trouble is its left substrate all over the new leaves. Water bowl will be added at the weekend, in the meantime I sprayed the side of the tub as usual.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Nice! Looks happy in its new home. I'm not familiar with that species at all.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You sure it can't squeeze through those airholes? Hate to hear about another O. diamantinensis escape...

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Nice! Looks happy in its new home. I'm not familiar with that species at all.
Thanks. Hobo posted some pics of adults here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...re-diamantinensis&highlight=O.+diamantinensis

You sure it can't squeeze through those airholes? Hate to hear about another O. diamantinensis escape...
The holes are the same size in its old tub and it didn't get out of that even though it was smaller then. My little ones tubs are in an ExoTerra viv as a precaution too.

Akai

Arachnobaron
those are sweet little containers. they remind of McDonald's frosty containers or something from Starbucks.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
those are sweet little containers. they remind of McDonald's frosty containers or something from Starbucks.
Almost right, desert pots from a local supermarket. They're great because I can put deep substrate in for the terrestrials and shallow for the arboreals plus I get to eat the desert first.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Well, it seems to have settled in alright. There is web all over the place and he/she's now tucking into a cricket

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Almost right, desert pots from a local supermarket. They're great because I can put deep substrate in for the terrestrials and shallow for the arboreals plus I get to eat the desert first.
Don't eat the desert. All that sand is bad for you. Eat dessert instead.:laugh:

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
You most definitely do not need a water "bowl" for a container and sling that size... misting the leaves/web every couple of days will more than suffice. Good luck!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Don't eat the desert. All that sand is bad for you. Eat dessert instead.:laugh:
Ooops, lol.

You most definitely do not need a water "bowl" for a container and sling that size... misting the leaves/web every couple of days will more than suffice. Good luck!
There have been a few posts on this subject recently that have convinced me otherwise.

See:-
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...hes...-mana-from-heaven&highlight=water+bowls
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?269056-New-P.irminia

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Well, you say "convince", but the sum total of "evidence" offered in both those threads appears to be one or two particular members who are especially passionate about providing them. Slings have certainly been raised by the tens of thousands for decades without individual water dishes, that's the point I was trying to make. I'm sure it's ok to go out of your way to do it if you want, but the situation isn't nearly as dire as all that. ESPECIALLY for a webbing species, I've seen mine drink just fine from droplets collected on webbing. "dishes" are a giant hassle when slings are that size, and dealers and breeders have kept them fine without them.

Needless to say, do what you feel is best, but I would be cautious about being "convinced" of anything because one or two people feel strongly about it... you might be keeping H. lividum on pine chips and an under-tank heater with no hide if that were the case. ;) Beautiful little enclosure at any rate, carry on... ;)

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Well, you say "convince", but the sum total of "evidence" offered in both those threads appears to be one or two particular members who are especially passionate about providing them. Slings have certainly been raised by the tens of thousands for decades without individual water dishes, that's the point I was trying to make. I'm sure it's ok to go out of your way to do it if you want, but the situation isn't nearly as dire as all that. ESPECIALLY for a webbing species, I've seen mine drink just fine from droplets collected on webbing. "dishes" are a giant hassle when slings are that size, and dealers and breeders have kept them fine without them.

Needless to say, do what you feel is best, but I would be cautious about being "convinced" of anything because one or two people feel strongly about it... you might be keeping H. lividum on pine chips and an under-tank heater with no hide if that were the case. ;) Beautiful little enclosure at any rate, carry on... ;)
Now I'm confused again. I have already given my 3 H. incei small dishes but they are around 1 inch now so I will see how they get on. The smaller ones I may leave and continue spraying the side of the tub and/or web or leaves until they are a little bigger.

Oh, and thank you for the complement on the enclosure.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well see there's really no right or wrong way to do this. A water dish obviously provides more water than just spraying the container and also is better for raising humidity, since the water doesn't evaporate as fast. Many people however, including myself, have raised slings up to a certain size without a water dish and that has worked for us so far. A few members here may feel differently about this subject, but there's no need to be confused. This is one of those things that depends on the person you ask.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Well see there's really no right or wrong way to do this. A water dish obviously provides more water than just spraying the container and also is better for raising humidity, since the water doesn't evaporate as fast. Many people however, including myself, have raised slings up to a certain size without a water dish and that has worked for us so far. A few members here may feel differently about this subject, but there's no need to be confused. This is one of those things that depends on the person you ask.
Thanks for that. I'm beginning to realise that everyone has their own ideas or preferences so I'll see how things go as they are, and give the tiny ones a bit more time to grow before giving them bowl..

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
can you please give me a care sheet of some sort I'm buying two of these ordering two tonight.