Popularity contest!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, according to you, what's the most sought after Ts in the hobby?

--J.Haas

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's the new introductions that are out of reach for most people. That's changes year to year.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P.metallica and M. Balfouri for sure. Basically anything that is blue.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
It's the new introductions that are out of reach for most people. That's changes year to year.
Yep, I agree with this. Only been in the hobby for a couple years but it's amazing what new stuff I've seen and how prices have changed!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
P.metallica and M. Balfouri for sure. Basically anything that is blue.
I got a bunch of m. Balfouri slings from member blue jaye a while back they are gorgeous!
I've heard they are big time right now!!

---------- Post added 11-05-2014 at 10:08 PM ----------

Can't seem to locate any juvi p metallicas tho :-(

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Gbb is more affordable it is probably higher in demand, m. Balfouri slings are too pricey if price was cheaper id get some. P metallica was overpriced IMO, GBB I prefer.

What happened to Blue Lasiodora anyway?Never made it to hobby?

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have to admit my gbb is one of my favs! The color transformations the make are stunning and he's always hungry and active! Love him to death!

Draven

Arachnopeon
Well around here I'd say T.blondi as we don't have any1 breeding them, don't think there's any males... But as far as demand goes I'd say M.balfouri and P.metallica for sure

Akai

Arachnobaron
M. balfouri slings have.come down in price significantly in the.last couple of years along with P. metallica. You couldn't find 2i slings for less then a $100 a couple of years ago. Now I see them offered as low as $70.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Quite frankly - I don't care. Everyone has a different taste and sellers will always make those pricey that are new in the hobby. It's just how it is...

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
M. balfouri slings have.come down in price significantly in the.last couple of years along with P. metallica. You couldn't find 2i slings for less then a $100 a couple of years ago. Now I see them offered as low as $70.
Absolutely. It only takes one good previous breeding season to bring the prices down, two to seriously crush the price. P. Metallica and M. Balfouri are classic examples of that.

I have noticed P. Metallica prices seem to have temporarily rebounded. about 4-5 months ago I saw them down to 70-75, now they seem to be back at 90-100. I have a feeling there will be a ton of sacs next year though, and the price will probably tumble well past 70.

I just wish pampho's were this popular. lol

Akai

Arachnobaron
Absolutely. It only takes one good previous breeding season to bring the prices down, two to seriously crush the price. P. Metallica and M. Balfouri are classic examples of that.

I have noticed P. Metallica prices seem to have temporarily rebounded. about 4-5 months ago I saw them down to 70-75, now they seem to be back at 90-100. I have a feeling there will be a ton of sacs next year though, and the price will probably tumble well past 70.

I just wish pampho's were this popular. lol
Any sort of blue tarantulas seem to make people lose their mind and empty their wallets out for them. A classic case is H. lividum....probably one of the most desired tarantulas in the hobby with new hobbyist but that glorious cobalt blue is scarcely appreciated because this tarantula lives the majority of its life underground. I've rescued quite a bit of H. lividums from people disappointed with this T because they hardly ever see it and want to trade something for it or sell it all together. I personally think H. albostriatum is a prettier T but that's just me.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
Any sort of blue tarantulas seem to make people lose their mind and empty their wallets out for them. A classic case is H. lividum....probably one of the most desired tarantulas in the hobby with new hobbyist but that glorious cobalt blue is scarcely appreciated because this tarantula lives the majority of its life underground. I've rescued quite a bit of H. lividums from people disappointed with this T because they hardly ever see it and want to trade something for it or sell it all together. I personally think H. albostriatum is a prettier T but that's just me.
H. Lividum also seem to be the most widely miskept T's out there. Tons of youtube videos where they are only sitting on 1" of substrate as near adults. I have 3 slings myself, they are by far the most secretive of my T's. But I agree, the more blue, the crazier everyone gets about them. I have a pretty big budget, but I don't like blowing it on one or two spiders. I always wait until I can pick up 3 or 4 of them at a time to near guarantee at least one female.

And if I'm not mistaken, is the H. Albostriatum the same T that is widely deep fried and eaten in Cambodia? That one really gives the E. Murinus a run for its money with the skeletal looking structure on the legs. Wicked T for sure.

jigalojey

Arachnoknight
G. rosea obviously, bet their sales are miles ahead of everything else with B.smithi coming in second

Akai

Arachnobaron
H. Lividum also seem to be the most widely miskept T's out there. Tons of youtube videos where they are only sitting on 1" of substrate as near adults. I have 3 slings myself, they are by far the most secretive of my T's. But I agree, the more blue, the crazier everyone gets about them. I have a pretty big budget, but I don't like blowing it on one or two spiders. I always wait until I can pick up 3 or 4 of them at a time to near guarantee at least one female.

And if I'm not mistaken, is the H. Albostriatum the same T that is widely deep fried and eaten in Cambodia? That one really gives the E. Murinus a run for its money with the skeletal looking structure on the legs. Wicked T for sure.
Yeah a lot of impulse buys on Cobalts without proper research on their husbandry without a doubt leads to their death or maybe people can just think they can give it a hide so they CAN see it. Who knows but yeah those vids piss me off.

The majority of Haplos are from Thailand and Cambodia where they are widely consumed and considered a delicacy so I don't think they care which ones they get just as long its a big tarantula. You could probably throw in Ornithoctonus too since these look like Haplos and live in the same area as well. The outdoor thai food markets in Bangkok have some pretty strange stuff on the menu from I've seen on various programs. lol

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yeah a lot of impulse buys on Cobalts without proper research on their husbandry without a doubt leads to their death or maybe people can just think they can give it a hide so they CAN see it. Who knows but yeah those vids piss me off.

The majority of Haplos are from Thailand and Cambodia where they are widely consumed and considered a delicacy so I don't think they care which ones they get just as long its a big tarantula. You could probably throw in Ornithoctonus too since these look like Haplos and live in the same area as well. The outdoor thai food markets in Bangkok have some pretty strange stuff on the menu from I've seen on various programs. lol
These spiders will go extinct eventually, due to huge numbers eaten there.
I should buy some before they go extinct in wild :) I've watched the videos thousands of dead haplo's as dinner.

Akai

Arachnobaron
These spiders will go extinct eventually, due to huge numbers eaten there.
I should buy some before they go extinct in wild :) I've watched the videos thousands of dead haplo's as dinner.
I don't think so man. Tarantulas have been consumed there far longer then tarantula keeping as a hobby. I'm thinking centuries. Haplos aren't going anywhere.