First winter for a first time T owner (Heat Question)

scarhbar

Arachnopeon
I have two T's that are about 3" each ATM. They are A. Geniculata and B. Albopilosum. These are my first two T's, and as the title says, it is my first winter with them. It just got cold within the last week here (it was very sudden), and right now, their cages sit around 72'F during the day and 69'F at night. Much too cold from what I've heard. I can tell they are not as active, and it worries me. I would have just got a space heater if our bottom floor was not open concept, and if we were home more often (I've heard about many fires from these being left on all day).

My question is, what can I do to keep them warm, safely? I think heating pads are out of the question, because I've heard of many T's getting burned. Lights also seem like a bad idea IMO, also impractical for the location. What else should I do? If I were to wrap the sides of the tank with some type of insulation, would that help the slightest? Would I space heater be my only option?

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
69-72F is plenty warm enough for most T's, including the two species you mentioned. they may not be as active in cooler temps, but that's normal and fine. they'll become more active again when the warm temps return.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Timisimaginary is right.

If the temperature really needs to be raised, I've used a space heater for the winter. Just make sure the Ts have full water bowls.

cold blood

Staff member
I have two T's that are about 3" each ATM. They are A. Geniculata and B. Albopilosum. These are my first two T's, and as the title says, it is my first winter with them. It just got cold within the last week here (it was very sudden), and right now, their cages sit around 72'F during the day and 69'F at night. Much too cold from what I've heard.
Those temps are perfect, shoulsn't be a worry at all. All my t's that size are unheated and I'm 70-71 day and 65-68 at night. Nights are a little cool for the slings, so I heat them with a water bath at 81 degrees.

I agree with cavedweller, space heater is the best method, and with the heat on for the winter (in the house), the air will dry out, so special attention needs to be paid to moisture. Bigger water dishes or more than one will help.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Those temps are perfect, shoulsn't be a worry at all. All my t's that size are unheated and I'm 70-71 day and 65-68 at night. Nights are a little cool for the slings, so I heat them with a water bath at 81 degrees.

I agree with cavedweller, space heater is the best method, and with the heat on for the winter (in the house), the air will dry out, so special attention needs to be paid to moisture. Bigger water dishes or more than one will help.
hey bro...im not familiar with heating ts with a water bath how do u do it. is it like a heating pad under a tote of water?

cold blood

Staff member
hey bro...im not familiar with heating ts with a water bath how do u do it. is it like a heating pad under a tote of water?
I have an aquarium full of water and each t has its own rock that is heated by the water.

Ok, no its not.;P

I used to have a bunch of operating aquariums, so I had several nice heaters that I decided to put to a new use. I have a tub filled with water, in it I have platforms placed so that the enclosures sit with only the bottom centimeter or three beneath the water level. For the really small slings I place another small tupperware with low sides that I put the small deli dishes in, then that has a few millimeters of water, enough to submerge the bottoms and keep the cups stable. The water prevents overheating of the t's as well as constantly evaporating water surrounding the enclosures. I don't know exactly how much of an effect that has, or if there is even any effect at all humidity wise, but it seems like it should at least keep the surrounding air a little less dry.

Most stay there 24/7, except the avics, which are only in there at night as they are drawn to the bottom and end up on the floor for the night. One has the coolest web tube that starts at the bottom by a small burrow and wraps around the enclosure rising like a staircase. By removing them during the day they climb and quickly resume their arboreal lifestyle.

I have had good results with actually faster growth rates in the winter than I get during the warm season.

The only "maintenance" I need to do is adding water occasionally. Multiple thermometers are also employed so I can always monitor the heaters accuracy. They have proven exceptional at keeping temps consistent.

Attachments

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have an aquarium full of water and each t has its own rock that is heated by the water.

Ok, no its not.;P

I used to have a bunch of operating aquariums, so I had several nice heaters that I decided to put to a new use. I have a tub filled with water, in it I have platforms placed so that the enclosures sit with only the bottom centimeter or three beneath the water level. For the really small slings I place another small tupperware with low sides that I put the small deli dishes in, then that has a few millimeters of water, enough to submerge the bottoms and keep the cups stable. The water prevents overheating of the t's as well as constantly evaporating water surrounding the enclosures. I don't know exactly how much of an effect that has, or if there is even any effect at all humidity wise, but it seems like it should at least keep the surrounding air a little less dry.

Most stay there 24/7, except the avics, which are only in there at night as they are drawn to the bottom and end up on the floor for the night. One has the coolest web tube that starts at the bottom by a small burrow and wraps around the enclosure rising like a staircase. By removing them during the day they climb and quickly resume their arboreal lifestyle.

I have had good results with actually faster growth rates in the winter than I get during the warm season.

The only "maintenance" I need to do is adding water occasionally. Multiple thermometers are also employed so I can always monitor the heaters accuracy. They have proven exceptional at keeping temps consistent.
thats pretty creative bro. woulda been cooler if u were realy using rocks.lol! i used a similar setup to incubate crested gecko eggs back in the day. styro cooler with an aquarium heater. i used the light defuser from fluresent lights as my platform. it worked pretty good.thanks man

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
thats pretty creative bro. woulda been cooler if u were realy using rocks.lol! i used a similar setup to incubate crested gecko eggs back in the day. styro cooler with an aquarium heater. i used the light defuser from fluresent lights as my platform. it worked pretty good.thanks man
Same concept actually. You can still uae thise grates eapecially heavier terrestrial or fossorials who have heavier sub amounts so it heats thw entire enclosure. but ofcourse a n avic would just float off haha so i suppose a rock could be used too.. but only to hold them there ;p