Scytode identification?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have two Scytodes sp. spitting spiders. They were both caught within 5 feet of each other but are clearly two different species. They both seem to build cobwebs similar to that of a Pholcid and don't actively hunt like a Lycosid so the white one is not a thoracica, it also lacks the pattern. They are found in Dallas NC. in the backyard under some siding. I have seen the white one before, it is very common. I have seen pictures of it all over the internet but none of them can narrow it down past the genus. The other one, I have never seen before, I don't have great pics but they are at different angles though. I have never seen the black one before. The closest one it looks like online is S. fusca but S. fusca legs are red and it is more brown then black. Apparently there are only 7 species of spitting spider in the US so I don't think it should be this hard to ID them but without further a do, here they are:
The white-ish one:
View attachment 131702
View attachment 131703
And the black one:
View attachment 131704
View attachment 131705
View attachment 131707

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
There are tons of scytodes species here! Just in my area alone, ive seen four different species, southwest inverts are horrifically under-studied.. Here in socal, there are many scorpions that have no name!

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There are tons of scytodes species here! Just in my area alone, ive seen four different species, southwest inverts are horrifically under-studied.. Here in socal, there are many scorpions that have no name!
Well, what are you waiting for?

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I'd have alot more motivation if I didn't know they'd almost certainly name the new species after a celebrity.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
People need to get to work. I have researched for a while and still nothing on the black one, not even a picture!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So nobody can ID either of them though lol? I have tried multiple sites but these two have stumped me and apparently everyone else as well. Any ideas on how I met get an ID?

aaarg

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe look for an ID on bugguide? Only two species are represented there as it is, so if anybody is able to ID these ones they would add new spitting spiders to the site - yay!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Buggies was my first choice. They have the white one on there but it is only narrowed down to the genus.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am gonna bump this thread, still looking for an ID on both of them. I am calling a lady at my local museum to see if she knows, I will hopefully schedule a meeting with her. Apparently she is a "world renowned taxonomist", anybody know how true this is? This was the museums words. Her name is Dawn Flynn.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well...I guess I am not really certain of them being two different species. The colors just looks dramatically different and the dark one lacks the pattern that the white one has. Besides, I still don't have an ID for either one.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
S. thoracica was one of the first ones I looked at.
"Though some other species in the genus Scytodes do build space-filling webs, Scytodes thoracica, in particular, does not seem to do so. It is usually found at night, slowly wandering around, or simply not moving at all, and not associated with any webbing."

This one is a cobweb weaver, thoracica is a ground hunter. The one I have legs are also long a spindly, much like a Pholcid as well.

I called the 'Dawn Flynn' person, apparently I should have called earlier because the 'spider guy' has done left. He will be there again in 2 weeks. It is still gonna be too late to call though, oh well. I will find someone else.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Just curious, did they give a name for the spider guy?

If you can find a mature male I could probably at least narrow it down if you'd be willing to mail it. Live would be fine, but I'd have to kill it to ID it. A female would be more difficult but not impossible; however, there are several undescribed species of spitting spiders, so I can't 100% guarantee I'd get you a satisfactory answer.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nope, the good-ole museum just left it at 'spider guy' and hung up. I found them at some siding in my backyard. The one pictured is the biggest I found, it is either an immature female/male or mature female. I cant find anymore there and I have looked in every other place imaginable in my yard, I was confused that I haven't look there for any interesting inverts yet.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Both that pallid and dark specimens you pictured are the same species- they have identical patterning, however, they are not S. thoracica. I really have no idea what this species is, but I totally love the slate-grey one. :)

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, that's interesting. I am hoping I can find some males though. I found a male and female white one in Georgia and got an egg sack before.