Some breeding questions

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Hey there, I was interested in the whole breeding dynamic with tarantulas. This being my first year in the hobby, I'm not planning on jumping in too quickly, but eventually I would like to.
First question, I have a female G. rosea who matured out around the end of august, if I was too breed her, would a G. rosea be a good "first one" to start with? I also have a mature H. incei but I'm not sure of the sex. How was would they be to breed?
Second, would you add in tarantula A to tarantula Bs enclosure, or move them both into a different enclosure for breeding?
Third, are there any other provisions to take? Special care for either before and after breeding?

Like I said, I am NOT planning on jumping into this anytime soon. And I will definitely do LOTS of research before the time comes.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
In light of you not being in a hurry, why don't you do some of the research you planned now and come back with questions? There's no point in us covering extremely basic breeding at this point. There's a lot for you to learn, and it's readily available without us rehashing everything from the ground up. Best use of your time and ours. We'll be glad to help once you've done a little homework.

Last edited:

Feriat

Arachnopeon
How do you know your H. incei is mature if you don't know the sex?

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
It doesn't take long to become a knowledgable member of the AB community you just have to put the time in to learn these things. I haven't been in the hobby all that long when compared to some other members on here like Poec54 but I am a fast learner when it comes to these things because whenever I have a question or I am confused I research it like crazy until I know what I am talking about lol. Thats all it takes. I can understand Poec54's point of view but this is site is a resource as good as any other and I think we should be a bit more willing to answer basic questions or maybe even just point them to good sites to find this info.

Amimia

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the confusion, the H. incei was a sub adult when I got him, the owner before said he strongly suspected male but didn't get a chance to really check or whatever. Anyway, I haven't had a good look at him and he's been stowing away his molt in his burrow with him so I don't know for positive. I could digging around in there and know for sure but I haven't really seen the need. Probably not the best best indicator, but as far as max size for H. inceis go, he's topped it out.if he's not mature now I don't imagine he has much growing left.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'll definitely do more research on this, sorry to clog up the forum. Got over excited I guess haha.

ARACHNO-SMACK48

Arachnoknight
Also to answer your questions, no G. rosea is not a good species to breed in my opinion. They have very little monetary value, the market is already flooded with them, and you will have quite a bit of trouble finding them homes. I would breed something that is a bit more in demand. Also during breeding the male should be introduced to the females enclosure. But there is alot more that goes into it than just that. Just research it. Maybe look up some breeding vids on youtube. Jon3800 and Robc have several. Don't plan on breeding anything until you are certain that you know what you are doing and have a plan for getting rid of the slings.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I tried to breed G rosea, no luck I am not sure how you are supposed to get them to lay a sack.
B vagans I will breed again It had a sack just rolled it wrong, and sack went bad. I gotta learn how to make a Mechanical mom.

Op do some research, I gotta learn more about breeding also. Can any Expereinced breeders post a thread ? on breeding? catfishrod, or Poec.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a pairing thread. You put the lime in the coconut, and drink it all up.

Basically anyone can follow my pairing thread, and if they have any questions, they can pm me. When it comes to pairing, there is so many different variables its absolutely impossible to post like a pairing tutorial or pairing 101 thread. I could maybe eventually try it, but procrastination is a full time hobby of mine also. Its going to depend on the individual female, male, the molt at which the female is in, the humidity, temps, food, nervousness of both sexes, dispositions, techniques used, etc.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I have a pairing thread. You put the lime in the coconut, and drink it all up.

Basically anyone can follow my pairing thread, and if they have any questions, they can pm me. When it comes to pairing, there is so many different variables its absolutely impossible to post like a pairing tutorial or pairing 101 thread. I could maybe eventually try it, but procrastination is a full time hobby of mine also. Its going to depend on the individual female, male, the molt at which the female is in, the humidity, temps, food, nervousness of both sexes, dispositions, techniques used, etc.
So your saying just figure out yourself? while risking poor MMs?
cage size, temp , humidity effect breeding? hope rob C comes back maybe we will get some videos of breeding etc.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the confusion, the H. incei was a sub adult when I got him, the owner before said he strongly suspected male but didn't get a chance to really check or whatever. Anyway, I haven't had a good look at him and he's been stowing away his molt in his burrow with him so I don't know for positive. I could digging around in there and know for sure but I haven't really seen the need. Probably not the best best indicator, but as far as max size for H. inceis go, he's topped it out.if he's not mature now I don't imagine he has much growing left.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I'll definitely do more research on this, sorry to clog up the forum. Got over excited I guess haha.
Bell Fury has a picture thread with pics of her male h. incei both penultimate and ultimate. MMs of this species do have apophisis so if yours does not then he isn't matured. If it is indeed male.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I'm specifically interested in finding additional information regarding breeding in the pamphobeteus genus. I started with an interest in the genus and was frustrated by the difficulty that I had trying to find them in Colorado. Later I developed an interest in breeding and I'm now considering my pamphos for a project. I heard that they are more difficult to breed somewhere, though I can't remember the source. Does anyone here know if this is true and if so what the specific difficulties are?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
So your saying just figure out yourself? while risking poor MMs?
cage size, temp , humidity effect breeding? hope rob C comes back maybe we will get some videos of breeding etc.
No I don't think anyone is advocating taking unnecessary risks with poor MMs. I think it has been suggested to do a little bit of research first and then ask the questions that can't be self answered. I don't think that's unreasonable lol.
As far as rob c and his videos, all the ones he's made before are still on YouTube. There are also jon3800s vids....

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm specifically interested in finding additional information regarding breeding in the pamphobeteus genus. I started with an interest in the genus and was frustrated by the difficulty that I had trying to find them in Colorado. Later I developed an interest in breeding and I'm now considering my pamphos for a project. I heard that they are more difficult to breed
I've paired up 2 platyomma females recently. No different than any other big terrestrial. Hopefully I'll get viable sacs.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No I don't think anyone is advocating taking unnecessary risks with poor MMs. I think it has been suggested to do a little bit of research first and then ask the questions that can't be self answered. I don't think that's unreasonable lol.
As far as rob c and his videos, all the ones he's made before are still on YouTube. There are also jon3800s vids....
I guess I should know enough already to breed any T. Just what habitat, cage set up gets them to lay a sack the best?

Sorry if I confused you.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
I'm specifically interested in finding additional information regarding breeding in the pamphobeteus genus. I started with an interest in the genus and was frustrated by the difficulty that I had trying to find them in Colorado. Later I developed an interest in breeding and I'm now considering my pamphos for a project. I heard that they are more difficult to breed somewhere, though I can't remember the source. Does anyone here know if this is true and if so what the specific difficulties are?
I don't know which species you have, but I just scrolled through the breeding reports subforum and found reports on four or five different species of pampho. Also read "Araña Políta: The Chicken Spider Diaries" thread. Good read. Very informative.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
yeah I just mean Experts at breeding shouldn't be hiding secret knowledge, which there is none.
I suppose they just wing it and hope for best luck, so I should know enough already to breed any T.
The knowledge in these boards is absolutely free. It's plentiful. And most importantly, not secret. I'm actually kind of confused by this statement. There are hundreds, probably thousands of threads dating back to 2008 and probably earlier, on just about any topic you can think of here. I can totally understand the more experienced keepers and breeders asking us newblettes to meet them half way and make a reasonable effort to suss out some info for ourselves. They are then better equipped to tailor answers to subsequent inquiries. After all they have day jobs, families and responsibilities besides having to repeatedly answer questions that have all the answers they've ever posted here already. For people who are brand new to arachnoboards, the situation is a little bit different until they've become more familiar with how to browse through and search. I would think you are more than aquainted with that procedure by now?

Secret knowledge? lol smh

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Well said ratluvr , I Guess you just gotta breed T's and hope for the best.

probably nothing I haven't researched, but can do plenty or time to re-research stuff I forgot:cool:.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I can totally understand the more experienced keepers and breeders asking us newblettes to meet them half way and make a reasonable effort to suss out some info for ourselves. They are then better equipped to tailor answers to subsequent inquiries. After all they have day jobs, families and responsibilities besides having to repeatedly answer questions that have all the answers they've ever posted here already.
Thank you. Plus the more entry level questions on the forum, the less the experienced collectors and breeders come by, and then they're not here to answer the really important questions. Some of those people have dropped off over the years, really knowledgeable people. We put a lot of time into this hobby and really don't want to keep answering the same basic questions over and over. We're doing this for free and have better uses for our time. All we ask is that you meet us halfway. Show you care enough to do some research up front: the questions you ask will be much better, and we'll be able to give you more meaningful answers. I've helped many beginners, but in return I want to see them make some effort, to show me they're going to last in this hobby. Show us your commitment, show us your passion. Then you'll get a lot of people helping you here.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've paired up 2 platyomma females recently. No different than any other big terrestrial. Hopefully I'll get viable sacs.
I would love to hear how your platyommas progress.