communal scorpions??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was wondering if u have a big endless food supply if any affordable scorpion species are communal:biggrin:
T's generally do bad in this set up, I was wondering if scorps were any different.

I am a noob on scorp's only owned 1 male emp. Sad about its death:(

thanks.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pandinus and Heterometrus generally do well together, though you need a good sized enclosure if you are housing several. Tityus and Centruroides are also good choices, though they are much more venomous. They are smaller though and as long as they have plenty of vertical space they do well enough. US Centruroides typically go for very cheap and look nice.

If you are new to scorpions though it may be best to stick with something simple and try again with Pandinus or Heterometrus and work your way up from there.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vaejovis carolinianus is a very good communal. I have had a colony going for about 4 months of about 38 of them and have lost 3 due to me kind of slacking on feeding for a little bit. They are a tiny scorpion and don't need huge tanks at all, their venom is mild also. They are a very interesting little scorp.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Vaejovis carolinianus is a very good communal. I have had a colony going for about 4 months of about 38 of them and have lost 3 due to me kind of slacking on feeding for a little bit. They are a tiny scorpion and don't need huge tanks at all, their venom is mild also. They are a very interesting little scorp.
Are they cheap? Maybe ill keep an eye our for some next spring. Winter shipping often is too pricey.,
I got a pretty large dubia colony, food will not be an issue.:biggrin::biggrin: Practically unlimited food supply.

Small Size makes them easier to house.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I've had 6 R.junceus together and a colony of T.stigmurus (14) and they do well together. Feeding time is nasty lol

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Didn't know V. carolinianus was communal. Good to know for the future ;) They're a neat little species. I have V. spinigerus right now and she's a little demon, so I can only imagine what a communal tank would be like :D

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
serradigitus is a good communal genus, probably the only truly communal vaejovids. You usually find 3-5 under the same stone or several crammed tightly into crevices, however they're never really common, and most tend to prefer living high on cliffs and rocky hillsides, so there's little chance you'll find them available.

Another vaejovid genus that often tolerates the presence of others is uroctonites, in some places, you can flip a stone and find dozens of them bunched together.

Some vaejovids tolerate (key word, TOLERATE) the presence of others, but they are still prone to fighting and cannibalism if not well fed. paravaejovis is often locally abundant, and because they generally prefer smaller prey, they often get along OKAY, but you will eventually have small outbreaks of cannibalism.. Thus, they cannot be considered communal, but moreso tolerant.

generally, buthids are the most 'communal', in large colonies, the 2i scorplings of centruroides and tityus will often pile onto the back of another female that isnt their mother, and it wont bother her much.

Uroctonus mordax can be kept in groups with ample space and plenty of room for everyone to climb and explore, but they do sometimes fight and cannibalize.

in species that deliver sexual stings, it would be wise to keep males out.